1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Upgraded Anthem AVM-20 2.1

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Marc_E, Jul 17, 2003.

1. RandyRSh

RandyRSh Auditioning

Hi all,

In looking for a replacement pre/pro, I stumbled across a great offer from my local dealer on the AVM20v2.09. I took it home last night and could only get the 6mc analog input to work, so took it back today for service. However, I was pretty impressed in listening to SACD thru the mc input, so I'm looking forward to getting a functional unit. The new software looks like it will satisfy about all the requests I would have!!

One question that I couldn't quickly find an answer to in the manual or the other long thread--can you assign a default video input to the 6mc analog input (so that you can navigate DVD-A menus, etc.)?

thanks for all the hard work guys!

2. Scott Pierson

Scott Pierson Stunt Coordinator

Michael,

3. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Scott,

4. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Here's a dumb question:

So if I have a 5.1 set up, but I have a pair of dipole/bipole speakers that I wanna use for movies and then a pair of direct radiating that I wanna use for music, then
    with the new • 6-Ch Surround/Rear Reverse Output Option or
    • Duplicate Surround/Rear Output Option ...
    Would I be able to hook up both pairs of spks like I had 7.1 but run it as 5.1 and then turn off one or the other via the Anthem.

I think Denon receivers had something like this.

(I hope I made sense. If not I'll just delete this post.)

5. Michael Mohrmann

RandyRSh,

6. Randy Haines

Randy Haines Stunt Coordinator

Chris,

With the new software, you'll be able to switch those speakers, but I don't think you'll be able to turn one or the other off, unless you turn the amps powering them off. I may be wrong, too. Denon receivers did have a feature like that, where you could switch them. I don't remember if you could also selectively turn them off. I see a couple of posts ago that the center channel can be turned off for some modes, perhaps it can happen for the surrounds/rears, too. I need to read the new manual first for that part. Wait, you may be able to turn on pair or the other off after switching by then designating the system as 5.1, instead of 7.1. Try that and see.

7. Michael Mohrmann

Chris,

The "6-Ch Surround/Rear Reverse Output Option" is for those owners who want to use the rear speakers in a 7.1 setup as the surround speakers for the 6 Channel Input. This reverse option is negated in the software for all other inputs.

You can set either the "Cinema" or "Music" configurations to be 5.1, but Anthem requires the surround speakers to be selected, with the rear speakers off.

So, at the moment, I can't think of an easy way to implement this concept, unless you are using the 6 Channel Input for all of your music.

Geez guys, the software hasn't been released yet and you have already broke it! [​IMG]

Michael

8. Michael Mohrmann

JimmyK,

9. Michael Mohrmann

Mike,

10. Scott Pierson

Scott Pierson Stunt Coordinator

Michael,

11. Brian Fitterman

Brian Fitterman Stunt Coordinator

12. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    Thanks Michael!

13. Michael Mohrmann

Jimmy,

14. Mike Koch

Mike Koch Extra

Michael Mohrmann,
    I think our own forum with seperate topics or threads would be great. It seems crazy to have to read through all of the posts and the occasional off topic posts. The Sony tae9000es board was great, I went to the threads that I was interested in and skipped others. I still visited this site every day too. I'm not smart enough to know if it could be done here or would require someone to set up a whole new website.

15. Randy Haines

Randy Haines Stunt Coordinator

My settings were not wiped out from 2.09 during beta testing. I went through and redid everything anyway, and also noticed a difference. I saved them first using the setting on the AVM20. I didn't know you could save setting to the website. I had to reset after one processor freakout with the first beta, but then it has been stable since.

I also noticed that the remote seems to be more responsive now than with 2.0x, but thought maybe I wasn't paying enough attention before.

After playing some CD's and the Sarah McLaglan DVD yesterday after installing and tweaking 2.10, I am really thrilled. It just sounds beautiful.
    I was totally enveloped in the soundfield, just as if I had been there. It seems to be more responsive, and articulate than ever. For something in this price range, I am just astounded.[​IMG]

16. jason willder

jason willder Stunt Coordinator

I will miss the "super" setting. I have the Studio 100s v.2. What is the LFE bypass option? This maybe a stupid question. Will there be a way for me to utilize my subwoofer when running my turntable in analog direct? This thread will be 58 pages long before you know it.
    Generally there is not enough action here to bother me. Only spurts like this become a little busy to read everything. I enjoy reading what everyone else has to say about the AVM20.

17. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim
    Thanks again, Michael!

I can't tell you how much help you have been in helping me get the most out of my AVM20.

And of course, I have more questions.[​IMG]

18. Michael Mohrmann

Jason,

19. Michael Mohrmann

Jimmy,

20. Prathavan V

Prathavan V Stunt Coordinator

I was using the old "super" setting and have now migrated to the new one. It sounded great to me before and that hasn't changed one bit. I can't say yet that the new "super" setting is any better (not enough listening time to tell, and too hard to A:B it), but I CAN say that it does NOT sound worse. Maybe it is better. Bass remains very solid and tight all the way around. The different settings for Music and Cinema are AWESOME!!!

The direct mode access' for the surround is also great.

The "swappable" rear speakers is very nice, even though I was just beginning to appreciate the ability to play my DVD-A's through all 7 speakers.[​IMG]