What's new

The Upgraded Anthem AVM-20 2.0 Thread (1 Viewer)

Lee Wilson

Auditioning
I need some help finding an accessory for my AVM-20 -> MCA-5. What I am looking for is the mono patch cord for the automatic triggers. I live in the Toronto area an have been looking all over the place to no avail.

I have tried Radio Shack and they discontinued this product in Canada. They have the parts if I want to make my own, but I would rather not. Does any one know if it is still carried at Radio Shack in the US. (I travel to the US weekly.)

Or maybe one of you have another idea of where I can get this part, hopefully in Toronto?

Thanks for your help,

Lee

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Lee,
I went online to Radio Shack and couldn't find a cable that had 1/8" mono plugs on each end. Odd. It is possible that all Radio Shacks do not carry this type of cable any more.
Here's a suggestion. Radio Shack's online store has the following adapter and one that I purchased from a local store about a year ago (there's a non-Gold version for $1.00US less):
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=274%2D897
The adapter above will convert from a single RCA plug to a 1/8" mono plug. If you get two of these and have a spare, cheap RCA interconnect lying around, like those single video cables with yellow strain reliefs that come with VCR and DVD players, you can make the cable you need. Just connect an adapter on each end of the RCA interconnect and you are ready to connect the MCA-5 to the AVM-20.
Michael
Edit: I just noticed that you said you didn't want to "make" a cable. In my case, I had to because I needed a 1/8" mono plug on one end for the AVM-20 and an RCA plug on the other end for the Marantz monoblocks. I am certain if you look online you can find the cable you need. If it helps at all, the adapter works perfectly for this application (well, it does in my system!).

Randy Haines

Stunt Coordinator
Lee,

Are there any local electronics supply stores around you? Most that I have been in here in Colorado and also when I lived in the DC area had an assortment of cables. they also had parts, but since you don't want to build one, don't bother looking for those, but I'd still check a store out. good luck!

Neil Potter

Auditioning
Great new's to those who followed my misfortune of pop's through all channels and total loss of center channel.
Anthem held up to their reputation...(as many of you assured me) New Unit via 3 day air to me(retail outlet) and after 3-4 full movies and Sat program viewing it seems all systems are a "good to GO"!(fingers crossed). The issue was according to my expert was a processor board.
Anyway, i still remain very disappointed with the initial experience but as i reflect on it i realize that i could have been perhaps been less emotional with my initial comments on this thread.... Oh'well..You live and learn. We Audiophiles are a emotional bunch ....Maybe passionate is best said!
Now on to either a Meridian or a Krell (cd players)...
Wish me luck! ....:)
Best to all,
Neil

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Neil, congratulations!
Some of us on this thread can also be an emotional bunch and are stern defenders of both the product and company (now who could I be referring to;)?). Anyway, I knew Sonic Frontiers would come through for you and glad to hear you are getting what you paid for, finally.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
HI Neil,

I haven't posted in a while, but have been watching the thread as always. I'm happy that Anthem has taken care of your problem and now you can appreciate the AVM-20 without those pops and ticks. It is a wonderful processor and I am sure you will enjoy the experience.

Much Luck,
Charles

Sri

Agent
Folks,
Thanks for all the posts. I have been reading this thread for several months and finally bought a silver AVM20. I do have couple questions that's probably been asked before: Is there a difference between AVIA vs AVM20's internal test tones. I used the internal tones because of my 7.1 setup and not sure if I hear the surrounds much. Also, I can barely hear the rear speakers. I'm anxious to know if I'm doing anything wrong? Even when I have my ears against the rears, I cannot hear anything. I set all the speakers to 75db using the Radioshack meter. The other question is, should I set the subwoofer volume to 75db as well. I currently use two PSB subsonic 7's. I did set the peak sub level to 0 as per several posts. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Even when I have my ears against the rears, I cannot hear anything.
Is this when playing test tones? If you are playing test tones and still do not hear anything, then it's got to be a missed connection or an error in the setup menu. If you have calibrated all 7 speakers at 75db via the Anthem test tones, it's possible that the source you are using to test has little surround activity, but you should still hear SOMETHING. I would definately double check everything.

I have Avia. Sometimes I use the Anthem test tones to calibrate if I get lazy, sometimes I use Avia. Avia is probably more accurate, but I find making adjustments in the setup menu easier when using the Anthem's, so YMMV.

Sri, I'd definately start from scratch and make sure you have everything configured correctly...seems something is amiss.

Sri

Agent
Evan,
You may be right in saying that the source I'm using doesn't have much info for rear speakers. When using test tones, I have no problem calibrating to 75db. Will start from scratch. How about subwoofers? Are you guys calibrating the sub to 75db as well. thanks

Prathavan V

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Sri,
Welcome to the club. When you're listening to your "rear" speakers, are you in a "7.1" mode such as DD-EX or DTS-ES or Anthem Logic etc? If you're not in a "7.1" mode and you're only listening in a 5.1 mode, you won't get any sounds from the rears. That's probably not the problem, but it never hurts to make sure you haven't overlooked the obvious.
Even in a 7.1 mode, there isn't always a lot of information coming out of those speakers. Try something like LOTR, Jurassic Park or a Bond movie :D
Enjoy your new toy.

JimTr

Auditioning
Hey guys,

With the new release of the code, 2.09, is it possible to have the avm20 use a subwoofer in analog pass through, 2 channel mode? From what I read, it looks like no. Is there any way to augment the 2 channel passthrough with a dsp sub channel and leave the other main channels (L/R) in passthrough?

I think you can add it in analog dsp mode with the a->d->a conversion but that must be tough on signal quality at the end of the road.

My problem is that I have a sub without any xover in it and I need the processor to integrate the unit to the mains. I am a 505 music and 50% HT guy so I am trying to maximize both.

It looks like maybe the only way to do what I want is to get a external xover and tie it out at the mains (R/L) and send the full range signal to it. That way I can have the the two channel performance I want with the sub and the HT with LFE that I want by specifing L/R as large and all other channels as small and send all summed bass including LFE to the mains.

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance..... Jim

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Jim,

Is there any way to augment the 2 channel passthrough with a dsp sub channel and leave the other main channels (L/R) in passthrough?
The current design of the AVM-20 would prevent a software change from allowing this. The analog bypass logic in the AVM-20 is primarily hardware-based, as the digital circuits are powered down (or off) in bypass mode.

I believe that the Rotel 1066, Outlaw 950 and Bryston SP-1/SP1.7 allow the subout to be active in analog "bypass" mode. Each of them does it differently, with the Bryston processors doing it via analog, while the Rotel and Outlaw processors use an active digital circuit for the subout. But I may not be exact on the details.

Michael

Sri

Agent
Hi Prathavan,
Thanks! I haven't had a chance to play with the toy yet but will certainly post my impressions. I was using Yamaha RXV795 as a pre/pro and am hoping to be blown away with AVM20. Still no one has answered whether I need to calibrate the sub to 75db. thanks you all....

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Still no one has answered whether I need to calibrate the sub to 75db.
I do, if that helps, but I think it's a personal preference. Some run it a little hot (like 78db or 80db) for more impact in movies...I think it's up to your personal tastes.

Prathavan V

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry Sri
Still no one has answered whether I need to calibrate the sub to 75db.
My sub is also calibrated to 75db, and my AVM is configured as "Super" in the sub menu, so I'm getting some of the LFE signal in the mains. The bass sounds great to me, but you may want to increase that sub setting if you're not running "super" and you want to have a little more bass.
Same goes for your rear speakers, you may want to trim them up a touch just so that you 'know they're there':D

Mark Dubeau

Stunt Coordinator
Jim,
I think a few pages back a good number of people voted that they actually prefer the sound of Analog-DSP mode. Try it out, you might like what you hear.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Still no one has answered whether I need to calibrate the sub to 75db. thanks you all....
I have mine (SVS 16-46PC+) set to 75db on the Radio Shack meter. I believe because of the meter's lack of sensitivity in the bass region that this actually equates to 2-3db hot.

At this setting there is plenty of bass. With some music in some modes I have to turn the bass down a little. Movies sound great.

JimmyK

jason willder

Stunt Coordinator
I have mine set the same. Either on this forum or on AVS Forum someone posted a chart for adjusting levels at different frequencies with the RS SPL Meter.

Randy Haines

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, almost a week gone by and no new posts. Things must be working right! 8 Mile sounds awesome with the AVM20. Anyone like any of the new movies coming out?

I wonder when next the software upgrade will happen?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks