1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Upgraded Anthem AVM-20 2.0 Thread

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chas_T, Sep 4, 2002.

1. wayne p

wayne p Stunt Coordinator

I also continue to run v1.12. It has been 100% reliable. There are no pops, hiss, tics, or other noises to detract from the music or movie sound track.

Wayne

2. Dennis Oblow

Dennis Oblow Stunt Coordinator

Dennis
    So far three responses from v1.12 owners reporting no problems. I seem to remember that some of the early upgraders ran into some problems, some having their units replaced. Seeing that the only thing replaced was the chip, maby the fault lies there. I know that some B&K Ref 50 owners reported some type of problems, and that also uses the same chip. Who else uses that chip in their prepros, are any of their owners reporting any problems?

3. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Dennis,

I actually owned an AVM-20 that was v1.00+ for 6 months before I decided on the upgrade. It worked flawlessly under v1.12. My problem was my AVM-20 would not accept the new DSP board for v2.00. The replacement AVM-20 I received has worked very well (except for the v2 software bugs) for over 6 months.

Some of the initial problems centered on the new v2.00 software, with a few owners having issues upgrading v1.00 AVM-20s to v2.00. Now that the software (v2.09) seems stable, the problems are once again in the DSP board.

In case anyone that has a new v2.09 exhibiting problems, I would recommend a software upgrade (rewrite v2.09 on top of itself) and a factory defaults reload before contacting Anthem. I am not saying this will solve your problems, but you never know.

Michael

4. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Jerry, that is a very poor analogy. First of all, in your example every Vikings fan would be watching THE EXACT SAME PRODUCT, so one's OPINION could easily differ from one another.

Neil's thread title is this... "Anthem AV20 2.9 Has bug's*Caution"

Well guess what? My Anthem AVM20 version 2.09 (which is what Neil meant) DOES NOT have bugs.

So basically, what he stated was a bold faced lie. In the publishing industry, that's called libel. He could get sued for reporting something like that when it's not true. Like I said, it's irresponsible and slanderous.

A few of the people on the boards new to the Anthem have obviously gotten bad DSP boards. However, we have no idea what percentage of total owners this applies to.

A better thread title for Neil would be this..."Experiencing a problem with my AVM-20, anybody else seen this?" I would have no problem with that. But to come out and say something like that in a thread title is just wrong. How would you feel if you substituted B&K Ref50 for AVM-20 in that thread when your unit was exactly like Neil's and you were experiencing perfect performance?

Give me a break.

Has Neil even stated what his dealer is doing to rectify the situation? If I know Anthem, he'll probably have a brand new unit within a week's time.

5. Brian Fitterman

Brian Fitterman Stunt Coordinator

I too have been running 2.09 and have not had a problem. In fact considering these two enhancments,

1. Changed digital muting threshold to avoid missing start of CD tracks when separated by digital silence that's longer than average.

3. Mode settings retained when power is removed.

I think 2.09 is less buggy than 1.12.

6. Lee Wilson

Lee Wilson Auditioning

I am going to put in my two cents here. I have a new AVM-20 that was picked up from the factory last Thursday and everything is wonderful, I am happy to say. I hope everyone with problems will over come these issues and be as impressed by their machine as I am. Then we can get back to more positive discussions.

Good luck!

Lee

7. Randy Haines

Randy Haines Stunt Coordinator

I ran version 1.12 for 6 months with no problems. I only really did the upgrade to get PLII and THX Ultra2 and DTS Discrete. I think a lot of the board problems are due to installer err's. Static electricity is the bane of the digital existence. After a few conversations with Anthem (I had a software issue after upgrade, but before 2.09, which works flawlessly for me) I think that a lot of the upgrade installs were done very poorly, by people without the proper experience who thought they knew what to do. that simple static wrist strap being used by the installer probably could have stopped most of these problems. Some people in the dealers may not have even known what they were and did not use them. I did not let my dealer do my install because they didn't have the experience necessary to be competent. They might be great salespeople with wonderful products, but servicing these units is a completely different issue. Nick told me that almost every unit that has come back has had static electric damage. It can also happen if the serial cord is installed without removing the power cable first. Here is Colorado, it's very dry, so just as a matter of course I have a discharge plate installed near my system and touch it before touching any gear. I recommend that to all. This does not preclude any possible QC issues, particularly the one's happening to units coming right out of the box, but it can be the main issue for all who were owners and had the upgrade installed and then had problems. The software now seems to be stable, after a number of fixes. I personally look forward to the next upgrade and hope it comes soon. I also, in my search before I bought, auditioned a number of units. None compared to the detail, warmth and precision that the AVM20 showed me, including the B&K. I'm very happy with my purchase as are a number of other audio professionals I know who now own, partly because of me raving about the unit and the company. I hope all this ranting ends soon so we can all enjoy in peace. By the way, Evan, I understand your angst, but I feel that Neil, however I might disagree with him, has the right to say how he feels. I also have the right to ignore him. And you for ranting. What about all the buggy Microsoft products? Doesn't stop people from buying their crap.

8. Mike Koch

Mike Koch Extra

Count me as another happy owner running 2.09. My unit was ordered fresh from the factory my dealer and came with 2.08 which I then upgraded to 2.09. It performs flawlessly.

9. Neil Potter

Neil Potter Auditioning

Well... It seem's that i have offended a few who are die hard Anthem advocates and i truly respect your admiration for this company and for their product. As i've noted earlier, i also have owned Sonic Pre Amps and have the highest regard for their quality and performance and have enjoyed years of trouble free stereo nirvana.
    My main issue is quality control and the FACT that their IS a issue with the boards!! I will concede that i could have used a better title to this thread but I was the one in the "HEAT" of the moment who had this unit FAILING miserably! My expectation's and quality standard's especially from a company like Sonic F. are sky high and that will not change!Maybe some of you are more patient and understanding when your pre amp is poping like crazy and you can't even see a movie on your brand new state of the art pre-amp!!! I'd be curious to get all your reaction's....Hmmm?
    Now the good new's!!(Especially to you Sonic Advocates!) My local rep has a new unit being air freighted(they actually wanted another week to send it but my guy refused that B.S) and i should have it Friday! I only assume that they have tested it! I WILL report the outcome on my second AV20 2.9 for those who care...... I ALSO want a unit to preform flawlessly....
    In closing...I have kept up with these forums for many,many years and the information that all of YOU provide are opinions, some you agree with and some you discard. What i have learned over time has been invaluable to me(and others) in regard to equipment performance and dependability. As a matter of fact i confirmed this problem on this same thread....don't kill the messenger...he may have a valid point ,or bring out a current issue(problem) worth considering that may become a prevalent one. OK, granted,.. mine may be isolated but maybe not..another complaint exsists on this same thread!
    My intent was never to offend anyone...just to give a "heads up" to those who are on the fence... to those who have had no issues...enjoy what is no doubt a superb product and by the way the word i used was "caution".
    Best,
    Neil
    [​IMG]

10. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

He Neil,
    I can tell you that my AVM20 failed me but of a different sort. I had a power supply issue that caused the display to get really REALLY bright and washout all the text. I was without the pre for 1 month! SUCKED! I missed that thing so SO much! I had just gotten my B&W N804s (after drooling over them for a couple of years) and was very sad. I have complete faith in Anthem (Nick and Frank) who took excellent care of me. Every manufacturer has had a problem with a product having a faulty part from another manufacturer at some point (I also put some value in what Randy says about static). I own an Audi A6 and, if anyone is familiar with their recent engine coil problem, had 2 coils 2 separate times (2 towings and several weeks without the car)...still love the car and Audi. Still love my AVM20 and Anthem.

11. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Neil,

12. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

First off, let me apologize if this question has been asked and answered before, but this thread is entirely too long for me to read it all.:b Guess I'll have to stay on top of things from now on.
    Anyway, of the people having the "popping" problem, what kind of connections were being used? Just digital, and if so is it mostly coax or optical?
    The reason I ask is because I was having the "pops" on my AVM 20 v2.06 bought 12/31/02. But it would only happen when I listened to CD's on my DVD player, which is the only thing I had hooked up via digital coax. At first I thought my CD's were scratched, but I would rewind them and the pops would be in different places!
    Anyway, a couple of days ago I go to watch a DVD and I'm seeing the video but I'm not getting any audio. The AVM 20's "Stereo" LED was flashing on and off and "Stereo" was flashing on the display as if it was getting and then losing a signal. This was with a DD5.1 signal, so I pop in a DTS DVD and the same thing's happening. So I put in a DTS CD (Marvin Gaye) and it works perfectly, same with a couple of CD's I tried. So I was only having this problem with DVD's. Now I'm freaking.
    So I took the optical cable I use to hook up my Xbox and used it in place of the coax cable, and the DVD AND the AVM 20 worked perfectly. So I chucked the digital coaxial cable and bought another toslink cable and now everything's fine.[​IMG]
    My problem is I still don't know if the problem is with my DVD player or the Anthem. I don't have another component I could hook up through digital coax to see if the Anthem does it again and I also can't test the DVD player.
    So when I went to buy the toslink cable I also bought the serial cable to upgrade to v2.09. The installation went well and now the "pops" are GONE! But I don't know if it's because I upgraded the software or because I'm now using an optical connection.
    You guys think my AVM 20's digital coaxial section might be jacked up? How can I know for sure?

13. Michael Mohrmann

Leo,

14. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

This seems to be the problem with my Lexicon LDD-1 AC-3 demodulator. Who else is using a demod and what type are you using?

BTW, my 2nd AVM20 has the popping/center channel cutting out problem. Another replacement is on the way. "Third time's a charm" or "Three strikes, you're out"?

Bruce

15. Michael Mohrmann

Bruce,

16. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

Great idea Michael! Are these Markertek adapters the type you mean?
    My fingers are crossed, I love the AVM20 and want to keep it in my rack. I dare say I may even be willing to try as many units as they'll provide.
    Bruce

17. Michael Mohrmann

Bruce,

18. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

I picked up an XLR connector (not an adapter) at Radio Shack and wired it up to a cheapo video cable I had laying around. Voila! It works!

Thanks Michael!

Bruce

19. Michael Mohrmann

Bruce,

I am glad that it works! The only problem with this solution is that you can only use it with one source. Hopefully you don't run into another component that causes the AVM-20 to burp.

Now, if you are thinking why does this work, I honestly have no clue! If this were a software issue, then why would the XLR digital input work but not an RCA digital input? Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I have to believe this has to do with the AVM-20's hardware associated with the digital inputs (RCA, XLR, Toslink).

Michael

20. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

Yep, Nick said it was a hardware issue. Something to do with the 'size of the timing window' or something like that.

Bruce