What's new

The Upgraded Anthem AVM-20 2.0 Thread (1 Viewer)

Miguel Stanic

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jerry.

In looking at the Anthem's specs, it looks like it also uses AKM DAC's:

Audio Converters

Analog to Digital AKM® AK5383 up to 24-bit/96 kHz
Digital to Analog AKM® AK4382 up to 24-bit/192 kHz

How do these compare with Burr Brown DAC's.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Miguel,

The DACs are just one part of the "sound equation". The AKM DACs used by the AVM-20 (and Ref50 and Halo C2 and probably others) are very good indeed. BTW, the AVM-2 has Burr-Brown DACs, yet the AVM-20 is sonically superior to the AVM-2 (well, IMO, based on my auditions).

The AVM-20 does utilize Burr-Brown OpAmps and these do contribute to the AVM-20's sonic character.

Michael

PaulWK

Auditioning
My Denon DVD 3800 has Burr Brown DACs . . . I have used played CDs and DVD audio with my system using both the DACs on the AVM for processing as well as using 6 channel in to allow the Burr Browns do the work and to bypass those on the AVM 20. I am no expert...but I like the AVM sound a little better with my set up. I will admit thought the difference is very subtle.

Lee Wilson

Auditioning
Well, I guess I should say hi. I have been following along here for what feels like a very long time and the day finally came for me to place my order for a silver AVM-20 to match my MCA-5. I will find out next week when I will get it in my hot little hands. I am hoping to have it by the end of the week (we will see).

I hope that I can avoid some of the difficulties that have been discussed here, but thanks for everyone’s participation on this board, it has been invaluable. If I have any question I sure know where to start!!

I will fill you in on how big my smile is when I get this thing set-up.

Thanks again,

Lee

Ron_RP

Auditioning
Bruce,

For what it's worth, my AVM 20 would not power up out of the box. Anthem balked at first, saying it had been QC'd, but then relented and sent a new one. Unfortunately, the new one has the sparking/clicking/cracking and center channel drop out described by others. Now I'm waiting for Anthem's next move.

I'm frustrated but sticking with them for now . . .

Ron

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I am not sure if the problem is the dimmer switch itself or the reaction of the light bulb to a reduced voltage, but if anyone is trying to troubleshoot a hum or buzz problem in their system (regardless of what you own), these are two areas to check for.
While making some adjustments to my equipment rack, I noticed the transformer in the AVM 20 was buzzing a little. I turned out to be from a lamp in the same room that had a dimmer. Since it is not audible once you move a few feet away, I'm not that concerned about it.

Oddly enough, though, as long as the light with the dimmer is on, the AVM20 buzzes even when powered off.

JimmyK

Seth V

Stunt Coordinator
I have a few questions for Anthem AVM20 owners. I currently own a Sunfire TGIII, but after going through 2 faulty units i'm thinking about changing over to the Anthem AVM20(although some of the problems I'm reading about here have me a little worried). Does the AVM20 offer a full automatic mode similar to that of the Sunfire TGIII(will the unit automatically change inputs and sound mode)? How user friendy is the AVM20? Sonically how does the AVM20 compare to the Sunfire TGIII?

SV

Miguel Stanic

Stunt Coordinator
How do you set the sub properly using the AVM20? Is it in the individual settings for each speaker that I make the integration between sub and speakers (currently set to the 80THX standard)? I have the Paradigm Servo 15 and it does not have a Crossover setting. How do I achieve this properly? All my speakers are set to small.

Can someone please explain this?

Eric_Strickl

Stunt Coordinator
I am having a problem with my anthem and I was wondering if anyone here could be of some assistance? When I play steel battalion on my xbox I get strange pops and signal degradation. The thing is it only happens when I play steel battalion!! I was thinking maybe the sounds is supposed to be like this???

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Eric,

I am having a problem with my anthem and I was wondering if anyone here could be of some assistance? When I play steel battalion on my xbox I get strange pops and signal degradation. The thing is it only happens when I play steel battalion!! I was thinking maybe the sounds is supposed to be like this???
If you are using an analog connection between the Xbox and the AVM-20 (I am not that familiar with Xbox connections), then the problem is most likely with the game or the Xbox itself.

If you are using a digital connection, it is possible that the problem still may reside with the game or the Xbox itself, but this may also be similar to the problems some receivers and processors have with specific DVDs that are transmitted digitally. Normally, a software change is needed with the processor to accept a "quirky" digital signal.

Michael

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Miguel,

How do you set the sub properly using the AVM20? Is it in the individual settings for each speaker that I make the integration between sub and speakers (currently set to the 80THX standard)? I have the Paradigm Servo 15 and it does not have a Crossover setting. How do I achieve this properly? All my speakers are set to small.

Can someone please explain this?
If all of your speakers are set to small/80Hz, then set the AVM-20's subwoofer crossover to 80Hz also (if using the advanced crossover menu). If you are using a global crossover of 80Hz, then no other crossover setting is needed.

In addition, I would set the Bass Peak Level to 0 dB so that the bass is not being limited going to the subwoofer. The Servo-15 is more than capable of handling the full range of bass in DVD movies. To set this value to 0 dB, turn off or unplug the Servo-15 or disconnect the cable going to the subwoofer before adjusting this parameter.

Michael

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
JimmyK,

Oddly enough, though, as long as the light with the dimmer is on, the AVM20 buzzes even when powered off.
Sounds like the power supply to the standby circuits is reacting to the effect on the electricity by the dimmer switch.

Michael

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Seth,

I can certainly understand your apprehension about switching to the AVM-20. Those of us who have been here for the long haul have seen our share of issues pop up. For the good news, the latest software version, v2.09, appears to be quite stable.

What I am noticing recently are more issues apparently isolated to the hardware. This could be a QC issue related to increased production, I don't know. But I am in agreement with you that I wouldn't want to trade one set of problems for another, especially at the cost of these processors.

Michael

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Ron_RP,

For what it's worth, my AVM 20 would not power up out of the box. Anthem balked at first, saying it had been QC'd, but then relented and sent a new one. Unfortunately, the new one has the sparking/clicking/cracking and center channel drop out described by others. Now I'm waiting for Anthem's next move.

I'm frustrated but sticking with them for now . . .
Did you get your situation straightened out by Anthem? BTW, what software version did/do you have? If it is earlier than v2.09, the problems you are describing seem related to software issues we have discussed before that have been corrected.

Michael

Ron_RP

Auditioning
Did you get your situation straightened out by Anthem? BTW, what software version did/do you have? If it is earlier than v2.09, the problems you are describing seem related to software issues we have discussed before that have been corrected.
Michael,

Thanks. Word is they are shipping a new one. I have v2.09 already. I was wondering whether choice of modes could do this -- have not been able to rule it out or in. The clicking is worst with SAT but also shows up on DVDs. The center channel dropout shows up on DVD. The problem does not (I think) show up on 6-channel sources, which suggests it is a digital processing problem -- yes? Hardware?

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Ron,

Thanks. Word is they are shipping a new one. I have v2.09 already. I was wondering whether choice of modes could do this -- have not been able to rule it out or in. The clicking is worst with SAT but also shows up on DVDs. The center channel dropout shows up on DVD. The problem does not (I think) show up on 6-channel sources, which suggests it is a digital processing problem -- yes? Hardware?
Sounds like a digital problem and most likely with the new DSP board. Anthem has had more than their fair share of issues with this board (built by someone else, I am told). I am amazed how often these problems are associated with SAT sources, and I am not just talking about the AVM-20.

BTW, have you used the 6 channel input in analog-DSP mode? This would force the A->D conversion and utilize the digital circuits on the DSP board.

Also, did you perform a Restore Factory Defaults before setting up your AVM-20 (this option is in setup menu #11). Once in a while a "confused" processor like the AVM-20 can be corrected by performing the restore and then reentering the setup parameters. If you still have the AVM-20 while waiting for the new one to arrive, you might want to give it a shot.

Michael

Bruce N

Second Unit
I got my replacement yesterday. Very quick turn-around. My dealer is impressed with Anthem's support and so am I. New unit is working great. I have one question though.
LD Demodulator won't work w/ AVM20?
I have a CLD-99 LD player connected through a Lexicon LDD-1 demodulator. It worked fine with my old TA-E9000ES pre/pro but I can't get any sound with the AVM20. I've tried all formats, plain stereo, AC-3 DD, and DTS. No joy.
Any suggestions? I'm going to call Anthem later this morning.
Thanks!
Bruce

Randy Haines

Stunt Coordinator
Bruce,

If you are using the digital output of your demodulator and connecting it to, say, the aux input, you may need to select the digital input in menu #2 Audio/Video-In Format/Main. I think the default is either analog or analog-DSP. Just checked the manual and it is defaulted to Analog-DSP. In either of those cases you will not be able to access any 5.1 or better programs because of it detecting just a 2 channel analog input. It must be set for the digital input in that menu to receive any digital signals for processing. Just a thought for something to try. My laser disc AC3-RF modulator just gives me analog otuputs so I use the 6 ch. S/E input and have it set for Analog-DSP to access THX, but I still cannot access DD5.1 or DTS.

Ron Duca, Since you run some of the same speakers as I do, in particular the mains, I wanted to tell you that I have changed my settings to Large for Mains and Super for the sub. Also, I reset the sub crossover to 80 hz THX. It just sounds better to me. Not enough bass for me set the other way. You may or may not like the difference, but you might want to at least try it.

Bruce N

Second Unit
Sorry, I should've said that I've already been there, done that. I've also tried other inputs besides aux. I've been through all the input settings. I did not get a chance to call Anthem today, now I'll have to wait 'til Monday.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks