What's new

The upcoming Doctor Who DVD range! (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Yesss.....The Deadly Assasin will be mine. Oh, yes.
I would be in for The E Space discs as well.
Thanks for the info guys!

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Those must be UK release dates. The E-Space box isn't coming to the US until May.
I'm definitely looking forward to some of these. The E-Space box, Deadly Assassin, and Image of the Fendahl will definitely have a place in my collection. But I'd like to see more Pertwee and Davison stories released. Seems like I've been saying that for a few years...

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye
Nebiroth said:
additional ones, some of which will be in a further boxset (the other three being the E-Space trilogy, the Rescue/Romans double pack and of course the Dalek War set).
Two of those titles have been announced today; The Keys of Marinus and The War Games. And yes, the release dates mentioned above were UK.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Very much looking forward to the Region 2 release of The Daemons next year. Not interested in the new Doctor Who series. Jon Pertwee was my favourite of the Doctors in the original series, and of the stories which I saw from his era, The Daemons is the story which I liked the most. Finally, it's being released on DVD. The UK release date is Monday 26th March, 2012 (source: Amazon UK).

Also coming soon on Region 2 are the following stories (source: Amazon UK):

Doctor Who: U.N.I.T. Files boxset (Invasion of the Dinosaurs & The Android Invasion) - Monday 9th January, 2012
Doctor Who: The Sensorites - Monday 23rd January, 2012
Doctor Who Revisitations 3 (The Tomb of the Cybermen, Robots of Death and The Three Doctors) - Monday 13th February, 2012
Doctor Who: The Face of Evil - Monday 5th March, 2012.

The Region 2 boxset of Spearhead from Space and Terror of the Autons I recommend.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
WaveCrest said:
Very much looking forward to the Region 2 release of The Daemons next year. Not interested in the new Doctor Who series. Jon Pertwee was my favourite of the Doctors in the original series, and of the stories which I saw from his era, The Daemons is the story which I liked the most. Finally, it's being released on DVD. The UK release date is Monday 26th March, 2012 (source: Amazon UK).
Also coming soon on Region 2 are the following stories (source: Amazon UK):
Doctor Who: U.N.I.T. Files boxset (Invasion of the Dinosaurs & The Android Invasion) - Monday 9th January, 2012
Doctor Who: The Sensorites - Monday 23rd January, 2012
Doctor Who Revisitations 3 (The Tomb of the Cybermen, Robots of Death and The Three Doctors) - Monday 13th February, 2012
Doctor Who: The Face of Evil - Monday 5th March, 2012.
The Region 2 boxset of Spearhead from Space and Terror of the Autons I recommend.
I don't remember if it's been officially announced yet, but Daemons is rumored to be due out in America in April.
I'm also looking forward to the single American releases of those revisitations box sets. Was watching Caves of Androzani the other day, and it could definitely use a cleaning up. It was one of the first US Who DVDs released, so odds are it wasn't remastered to look as good as later releases... kind of like how Key to Time was shoved out there in the US because of a fan vote, and eventually got the good Special Edition release.
The Who serial I'm most looking forward to in 2012 though, is the Troughton serial (Ice Warriors?), which I'm hoping has the missing segments animated.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
The Obsolete Man said:
I'm also looking forward to the single American releases of those revisitations box sets. Was watching Caves of Androzani the other day, and it could definitely use a cleaning up. It was one of the first US Who DVDs released, so odds are it wasn't remastered to look as good as later releases... kind of like how Key to Time was shoved out there in the US because of a fan vote, and eventually got the good Special Edition release.
Caves was also one of the first UK releases and the US release was simply a standards-conversion of the UK disc, so it wasn't "rushed" out in the US like Key was, it was just early days of the range before more time, effort, etc. was invested in the releases (and before the 'transform decoder' was used on the stories. I think Ark in Space is the last of the early releases that hasn't had a 'revisited' or 'special edition' upgrade released/announced (which includes a pass through the decoder).
There is one error on the revisited Caves, though. Although all the film sequences were replaced (thanks to the original A/B rolls of film existing for this story), there was a cross-fade from film to studio videotape that wasn't re-done when they replaced the film this time, so instead of a cross-fade, there is a hard cut. So, some people will complain (and have) about that, but I guess that's how it goes: improved picture quality on the filmed scenes, but one tiny detail missed out!
The Who serial I'm most looking forward to in 2012 though, is the Troughton serial (Ice Warriors?), which I'm hoping has the missing segments animated.
I'd say that animation for that serial's two missing episodes is quite likely (and has been hinted at along with the already-confirmed Reign of Terror).

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
AndyMcKinney said:
I'd say that animation for that serial's two missing episodes is quite likely (and has been hinted at along with the already-confirmed Reign of Terror).
Ah, Reign of Terror... that's the one I was thinking of that was coming with animated reconstructions.
I just automatically assumed it was a Troughton serial, because there are at least two Second Doctor serials with most of the episodes surviving that could be completed with animation (three, if you count the Underwater Menace in the bunch, since they just recently rediscovered a second episode, which means half the serial now exists).

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
I would suggest that the strongest candidates for animations would be The Tenth Planet (featuring the introduction of the Cybermen and as the final Hartnell story that introduces regeneration) and The Ice Warriors (it's status as one of the two remaining viable Troughton stories)
I would be extremely surprised if we got a Hartnell historical animated but did not get these two. It's nice to get a Hartnell, but the story isn't what I'd call iconic and there is a reasonably good range of his era stories available whereas the Troughtons are desperately thin

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Would be interested in reading about the history of the Tom Baker-era story Shada.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Revised release dates list from post #84 of this thread (source: Amazon UK):

Doctor Who: The Face of Evil - Monday 5th March
Doctor Who: The Daemons - Monday 19th March
Doctor Who: Nightmare of Eden - Monday 2nd April
Doctor Who: Ace Adventures Boxset (contains Dragonfire and The Happiness Patrol) - Monday 7th May.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
WaveCrest said:
Revised release dates list from post #84 of this thread (source: Amazon UK):
Doctor Who: Ace Adventures Boxset (contains Dragonfire and The Happiness Patrol) - Monday 7th May.
Which will be released in the U.S. as two separate releases.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
DeWilson said:
Which will be released in the U.S. as two separate releases.
The majority of the box sets wind up as single releases in the US.
2012 is shaping up to be a big year for the US getting the serials that comprise the SE Revisitations box sets, too. March has 3 special editions, and one new release.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
The Obsolete Man said:
I just automatically assumed it was a Troughton serial, because there are at least two Second Doctor serials with most of the episodes surviving
the only Troughton story that is assumed to be a viable candidate for animation is The Ice Warriors, as it is the only Troughton story where more than half of the episodes still exist (let us not forget: ever since the VHS days, the rule-of-thumb at the BBC has been that only stories with more than half of the episodes existing get their "own" release. That's why we saw the likes of The Crusade and The Moonbase on the "Lost in Time" collection, because they are only 50% complete).
Given the current economic conditions, and the fact that Doctor Who isn't exactly a chart-topping series as far as sales go (plus the fact that animation is expensive), I doubt we'll get any other stories completed with animation, apart from the two we already have or know about (Invasion, Reign, Ice Warriors and maybe Tenth Planet, unless they stick with the previous reconstruction).
Unless some more episodes turn up soon that come close to (but not quite) completing another serial. There's a handful of stories were just one more episode turning up would get them past the 50% complete mark (Crusade, Moonbase, Underwater Menace).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man /t/256738/the-upcoming-doctor-who-dvd-range/90#post_3898731
The majority of the box sets wind up as single releases in the US.
2012 is shaping up to be a big year for the US getting the serials that comprise the SE Revisitations box sets, too. March has 3 special editions, and one new release.
Considering getting one of the latter Pertwee stories, Invasion of the Dinosaurs, at some point. Prefer the early to mid-run stories from his era of the original series.

Assuming it's down to rights issues, with it not being included as an extra on the release of The Daemons, what is the likelihood of Return to Devil's End being released on DVD?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Coming soon on Region 2 is the following John Pertwee-era story (source: Amazon UK):

Doctor Who: Death to the Daleks - Monday 18th June.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Most recent TVShowsOnDVD news article (posted on their website on April 19th) about two Doctor Who stories getting US releases on July 10th, including DVD extras information and front cover artwork:

Doctor Who - The Krotons and Death to the Daleks - TVShowsOnDVD.com news article

Also, "The Krotons" and two other stories from the original Doctor Who series are available for DVD pre-order on Amazon UK:

Doctor Who: The Krotons - Monday 2nd July
Doctor Who: The Greatest Show in the Galaxy - Monday 30th July
Doctor Who: Planet of Giants - Monday 20th August.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The Krotons and Death To The Daleks are scheduled for a US release on July 10th.
I haven't seen any announcements for anything past July, but based on the two additional titles listed, It would appear that The Greatest Show In The Galaxy would likely come out the second Tuesday in August, and Planet Of Giants the second Tuesday in September.
Of the probables for 2012, that would leave Reign Of Terror, Shada, and the Spearhead From Space Special Edition still to have release announcements.
For 2013, we still have Ambassadors Of Death, The Mind Of Evil, The Ice Warriors, The Tenth Planet, and Terror Of The Zygons (the Restoration Team have stated they would like this to be the last Classic Series release).
David

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
The Ice Warriors, Shada, and Terror of the Zygons are all that i need.
Figures they would save Zygons for last, that is the one i want the most! :)
Byt the time they finish, it will be just about 15 years, give or take, that the DVDs have started coming out! That would be quite a feat.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Doctor Who DVD title (the original series) being released on Region 2 (source: Amazon UK):

Doctor Who: Vengeance on Varos: Special Edition - Monday 10th September.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks