The Untouchables - any word of a release?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Dave H, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Does anyone know if the original The Untouchables is going to be released?

2. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I second the motion...And also the 90's series remake. Which was as good.

3. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

Hardly

4. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Has the original series been released on DVD? I found a link off Amazon.com.

5. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

Amazing how many pirated TV-on-DVD sets are out there. You don't really believe that 'Maverick' and 'Green Hornet' (to say nothing of 'Untouchables') has been legimately released do you? We'd all beside ourselves with glee if it were true...

6. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I don't care enough to know whether or not Maverick and Green Hornet has been released. Obviously, I'm interested in The Untouchables.

P.S. I removed the link. I'm surprised Amazon would have a link to a site selling bootleg material.

7. Elena S

Elena S Supporting Actor

I didn't see anything on Amazon's website that even remotely resembled the "Untouchables" TV series for sale. All I saw was the movie from 1987, a biography of Eliot Ness, and something called "Ninja Untouchables."

8. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

Understood. But if you had taken a moment to check the other titles, it should have become patently obvious that this is a bootleg site--which would have obviated your need to post the link.

9. Dave H

Dave H Producer

There are, in fact, titles on that site which have official releases too. Is it really a big deal to have the choice of taking five seconds to click a link to see?

Why does this aggravate you so much?

10. Steve_Smith

Steve_Smith Stunt Coordinator

I also wish that this would get released, I was able to get all 28 volumes *56 episodes* that Columbia House released back in 1992. It's the only reason I have to go out and buy a DVD burner, but I've waited to see if this will ever come out *in season sets of course [​IMG] *

11. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Season 1 Volume 1 arrived in the poste today.
    This 4 DVD set includes the first 14 of 28 Season One episodes.
    Plus, the movie version of two episodes that were first broadcast in April 1959.
    There is a choice of English or Spanish audio and subs in 3 languages.
    13 hours and 25 minutes.

12. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Has anyone viewed any eps in this set yet? I'm curious about the xfr quality on this one.

Joe Corey, I read your comment on another thread about the xfrs, thanks. Good to hear that they're good quality.

13. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

Jeff,

By all accounts, this is a superlative set for image quality. This is quite possibly at least the equal of "Voyage" S1 and WWW S1. Some caveats over the sound, but that is even more of an individual thing than video--depends on your level of "audiophilia".

http://www.dvdreview.com/reviews/pages/2585.shtml

14. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Mike,

Thanks for that Review link! Sounds like this set's an A1 release. I received mine for a b'day present over the weekend but haven't had the chance to start viewing it yet.

15. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

Happy Birthday, Jeff. Guess I'll purchase my copy using my 'Best Buy' gift card I received a couple of months back for a birthday myself. Been holding out for this one!

16. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Thanks, Mike [​IMG] Don't forget to update that Sig (Untouchables have arrived) [​IMG] Of course, we have to hope V1 sells so we'll see a V2 release. "The fun in TV/DVD collecting"

17. Jim Bur

Jim Bur Stunt Coordinator

Just received Season 1 Vol 1 set of Untouchables. Pilot feature and premier episode looked excellent.

Although the first season was divided into two sets I am grateful that they included the pilot feature "The Scarface Mob" which I hadn't previously seen, so it's the equivilant of getting a feature film on top of half of the first season's episodes.

Vol 1 also contains what I consider to be the best ever Untouchables episode "The Jake Lingle Killing" with Jack Lord guest starring.

As expressed by a previous poster, I hope it sells well so that we get the remaining episodes of season 1 which also contain a number of very strong episodes.

18. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    According to the ParamountTV.com website, all of S1 is being remastered into HD so it is a fairly safe bet that Vol 2 is waiting in the wings.

It will be interesting to see how episodes 20 and 21 are handled in Vol 2. Originally broadcast as a two part episode, they were withdrawn from syndication and combined into a standalone feature.

I'm on the fence about this release and look forward to reading the comments of HTF members who have purchased this.

19. Dan McW

Dan McW Second Unit

Dan
    Paramount supplied Columbia House with nice VHS transfers for both parts of "The Unhired Assassin" (episodes 1-20 and 1-21), so the original versions are intact. In case you ever wondered how Robert Gist's last name is pronounced, the cast announcer for one of those episodes will tell you (it's a hard-G sound).

Jim, that's my favorite Untouchables ep too. I'm getting into middle age now but never had any exposure to the series until the Columbia House tapes came along. "Lingle" was the first one I watched, and although I'm a little biased toward it because Jack Lord is one of my favorite actors--and I've seen about 75 other Untouchables eps since then--it's still my favorite one.

On S1-V1, I take it the commercial-break bumpers are all intact and that the episode run times are 50-51 minutes?

20. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter