The UNTHINKABLE: A petition FOR "Best Of" boxsets (X-Files related)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Simon, Jul 30, 2002.

1. John Simon

John Simon Second Unit

Hey, all. For those of you who are owners of the X-Files seasons on DVD, I'd ask you go and check out my petition at http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=85989. Please use this forum not to show your support for the petition, but to let me know what you think of the idea. And please notify any X-Files fansites you know of about this. Thanks!!!

2. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Since the show has ended and Fox will eventually still want to make money off of the show (as well as most studios) I think after the season sets are finished (not only with the X-Files but with other series shows as well)
    Best of sets will be inevitable.

3. John Simon

John Simon Second Unit

You may very well be right, Blu. But I'm really hoping they'll either release the "Best Of" set simultaneously with the season box set, or they'll at least announce it at the same time.

Only time will tell...

4. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Are you looking for best of in addition to the regular season set?

Either way you'll never get fans to agree on which episodes should be included, and Chris Carter would include only the mythology ones and that would probably alienate people.

Believe it or not I actually enjoyed many of the stand alone episodes from seasons 8 and 9, but also would like the complete mythology, so I want the full set.

The only thing I would petition for is a drop in price for the last two seasons to something more comparable to 'Buffy" and '24.' I mean, since we get less Duchovny we should get a discount, right?

5. Paul-Gunther

Paul-Gunther Stunt Coordinator

I don't imagine Fox is going to stop releasing the season sets when there's only a few left in favor of best-of sets only. I'm sure they'll merely be supplemental. And as long as the season sets are available (and, as I understand it, they sell well, so they likely will remain available), I have no problem with best-of sets.

6. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

That was my point, as long as I can buy a entire season at a time, I have no problems at all with best of sets. For any series or any studio.

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Fox US has taken a STRONG full-season only policy, and I applaud them after 20 years of the US being screwed.

If you want best-ofs, get yourself a region free player and buy them from Hong Kong(legit releases)

8. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

9. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Your subject says it all, to ask for best-of sets is unthinkable.

10. Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger Second Unit

I find it better to spend a little more to get every episode than to have someone who doesn't know me decide which are the "Best" episodes of a TV series. Season 6 of The X-Files is a good example of this. I strongly dislike "How The Ghosts Stole Christmas", but I know several people who find it one of their favorite episodes of that season. I really like "Monday" and "The Unnatural", but I know people who despise them. I rarely find any "Best of..." music CDs that have every song I want and have the same problem with VHS sets for TV series (leading me to never ever buying any of those sets). If people had a choice between a full season DVD set and a "Best of..." set, I think most people would buy the full season set due to 1-2 episodes that they like that are not present in the edited compilation.

I do think that Fox should try to lower the MSRP for the future X-Files sets since 1) other sets by FOX are much cheaper and 2) to encourage fans who don't care for these seasons as much to go ahead and buy them.

11. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

This is a sure sign that petitions have long since lost their luster and effecitveness and are spreading like virii or baseless class-action lawsuits.

12. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell