What's new

The Unsinkable Molly Brown? (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I did not know about the lost stereo tracks for Gypsy, but my DVD of Gypsy (the original issue) is definitely not mono.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by MattH.

I did not know about the lost stereo tracks for Gypsy, but my DVD of Gypsy (the original issue) is definitely not mono.

Good, maybe I have confused Gypsy with another film. I hope so.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Joe Caps

gypsy was already stereo on the second laserdisc and the old dvd.

The master stereo tracks are lost and no stereo print has shown up. but the film was remixed for stereo using the tracks from the soundtrack album, minus the album reverb.

Hardly a chance for a stereo trailer as by that time, trailers were no longer stereo. Many Fox early scope trailers were stereo.

I just remember that the sound for trailer on the laser moved around the room, and seemed alive, while the laser sound seems flat. But you are probably correct. As always, fhanks for adding clarity.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Warners had to give the MFL negs back to CBS who owned the show after 10 years and CBS restored it for Laserdisc which I have the special box with the CD of the soundtrack music. The tins and tins of footage got thrown around in the Studio City vaults of CBS and labels came off cans during a major earthquake in LA. Warner Bros handled the DVD issues but I don't know what the deal was.

Gypsy(Natalie Wood) had footage in the trailer that Warners had actually lost the 70mm negatives of. Not sure what they did for the special DVD Special Edition they did with the found outtake songs.

George Feltenstein's tenure at Warners seems pretty safe at this time and he was one the only person left working at the old MGM in a similar capacity before Warners got involved with Turner. We have him to thank for lots of things that have come out and his complete interest in the product but he is directed by superiors who may not know as much as him, which would be par for the course in many major companies. And those upper guys are always overpaid and do very little for their money. I could go one but won't.

Warners also do work for other companies when they are stuck and one such was Bogart's African Queen which was restored there and not at any Paramount/CBS facility.

I look forward to Meet Me in St Louis & Annie Get Your Gun when they issue in Blu Ray. I took the plunge on The Egyptian and have a good recent issue on DVD of the film from Germany.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I do have to wonder who is doing the decision-making these days at Warners though.

The Bad Seed on blu-ray ahead of huge numbers of catalog titles - including worthier horror films?

It gives me VERY little faith for ever seeing all but a handful of already-released musicals on blu-ray.

Besides the ones already scheduled I would hope Ziegfeld Follies would be a possible candidate some day, but that's it. My personal favorite unreleased title, LiLi, will be lucky to get an Archives release. Rhapsody In Blue will undoubtedly end up there as well someday.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Richard M S

The Bad Seed on blu-ray ahead of huge numbers of catalog titles - including worthier horror films?

I would be overjoyed for a Blu-ray of the THE HAUNTING (1963).

Simon Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon Lewis
Originally Posted by Garysb

It is still in print and available from Amazon in the UK but its region 2 and Pal so you will need a region free player in the US to play it.

The UK Region 2 is non-anamorphic.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Quote: Originally Posted by Richard M S /forum/thread/312279/the-unsinkable-molly-brown#post_3823509

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
The Bad seed, like most warnerw "flat" films of this period is probably open matte meant to be projected at 1:75 which was Warners standard at this time.

But this non scope, non color, non stereo movie hardly cries out for Blu Ray.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Why release a non-scope, non color, non stereo film on blu-ray when you have 70MM color stereo epics sitting on the shelf???

What should we release team? the 1962 color epic roadshow presentation of "Mutiny on the Bounty" anyone? "Ice Station Zebra"? "Ryan's Daughter" even the 35mm "The Great Race" how about "The Bad Seed" yes, "The Bad Seed" that'll be the best choice for blu-ray SR VP of Marketing at WB

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Come now, the wonderful thing about the Blu-ray format is that it can replicate the beautiful density of film regardless of the original aspect ratio, whether it was in color or black & white, and regardless how many channels of sound it had. Citizen Kane, Casablanca, and Stagecoach are in the exact same filmed format as The Bad Seed and you bet that they "cry out" for Blu-ray! Just because something is widescreen, color and stereo doesn't make it more appropriate to the Blu-ray format. Every film is worthy of Blu but unfortunately few are chosen.

Originally Posted by Joe Caps

But this non scope, non color, non stereo movie hardly cries out for Blu Ray.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Mark I think you're missing Joe's point (or trying to be funny?)

Our preference is buying a film which more time and money was spent on the overall look should be considered for blu-ray before a film which didn't. Especially if it's not as popular a film. "The Bad Seed" was never an "A" title. We're not saying it's a bad film...it isn't. We're not saying it shouldn't be on blu-ray and we're not saying it won't look better on blu than standard DVD ...it will.

It's just that there are so many films which will blow you away on blu-ray (and I do mean blow you away) but they're sitting on the shelf. While a film which will look okay...better than DVD...are being released first and it's really like...ho hum.

But then someone releases an older catalog title like "The Big Country" and everyone's like"Wow!" Where did this come from? Epic, widescreen, color..plus it's a very good Western with an all star Oscar winning cast. or "Once Upon a Time in the West"

Doubtful "The Bad Seed" will receive that kind of response just because the source material wouldn't receive that kind of response no matter how well it is restored.

there are many reason why a particular film is released (so putting on blu-ray would make sense)

Joe and I are not rating films. But we are thinking in terms of cinematography and production values which will show blu-ray off to in it's best

Many great films will look okay on Blu-ray...and they should be released, but the ones that can and will look spectacular are the ones we're waiting for. So when a small studio picture is released instead we're a bit disappointed.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Exactly. While I enjoy "The Bad Seed" as much as any fan of films of this type, from a purely production value standpoint, this photographed stage play is no Casablanca, Citizen Kane or Stagecoach. I assume that Warners' decision means that it has excellent source material to use and it will look superb. But the net result will still be ho-hum and more importantly, I'll bet that few people who already own the DVD will feel a compelling need to upgrade.

Brandon_D

Stunt Coordinator
Well I asked about this 2 months ago and I've got a copy ordered from The Warner Archive!

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
how much you wanna bet WB releases this early next year on Blu-ray to tie into the 100th anniverarsy of the sinking of the Titanic1912 (in May 2012)?

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I wouldn't bet anything at the moment -- here's all the details on the dvd release through the Warner Archive: http://www.wbshop.com/Unsinkable-Molly-Brown-The/1000209933,default,pd.html?cgid=ARCHIVENEW

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
With all the classics WHV has that have not seen a blu ray, it's hard to imagine what the thought was in releasing The Bad Seed. I have heard that next year, WHV is planning to put Singing in the Rain and Whatever happened to Baby Jane on blu ray. The rationale for the first is obvious, but the second? I am not sure what the market is for some of these films.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
50th anniversary for BABY JANE, a big hit in its day and an evergreen for Bette and Joan cultists.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Bob Cashill said:
50th anniversary for BABY JANE, a big hit in its day and an evergreen for Bette and Joan cultists.
One doesn't hear much from that segment of the market in forums like this, although if I were a Joan cultist, I would much rather see Mildred Pierce on Blu ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks