What's new

The UNofficial Goonie DVD review thread (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I thought we should make one huge review thread, and when we all finally get to experience Goonies again, we can post our thoughts/reviews here!!
I just got done watching everything, except the commentary.
I must say this was fantasic to watch again!!
The Cyndi Lauper 2 part video was great to see, as I've never even seen it before.
The deleted scenes were a kick, but must admit the Octopuss scene was pretty lame.
Video transfer wasn't too shabby, but did notice a few shimmering(light/dark) movements, nothing to bad tho.
However, I did notice a bad sub noise(an awful thud noise), when the Fertelli brother hit his head on the board as he's walking into the basement, just after the Goonies squeeze themselves down the fireplace.
I can't wait to watch it again tonight!!!
------------------

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I just wanna know why this DVD was delayed in Canada by like a month
frown.gif

I'm seriously thinking about a road trip to the US (only a few hours away anyway).
cheers!
Josh

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Josh, don't take that road trip unless you reserve a copy beforehand. These discs are in short supply at stores like Best Buy and today is release day.
Note to Warner: What a novel concept, a Family DVD sells well in its OAR.

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
Did anyone have a problem on the layer switch with this movie? During the layer switch i got a good 2 to 3 second pause in the movie before it finally kicked back into action. Other than that i loved the movie. There was a little overkill on bass in some parts but it was great to hear this movie in DD5.1
The deleted scenes were a kick, but must admit the Octopuss scene was pretty lame.
Haha i'm in total agreement with you here. The scene was awful and i'm glad it wasn't in the movie. I'm still glad they put it on the disc tho because that was the first time i had ever seen it and i was very curious about that scene. Even in the commentary they were talking about how bad that octopuss looks
laugh.gif

------------------
Steve,
DVD Collection

SteveA

Supporting Actor
The layer-switch did indeed seem a little more noticeable for me than most other movies. It seemed really poorly placed.

David Biggs

Agent
Huh? There's no shortage of the disk in Toronto
Where in Ontario did you buy the DVD? I've heard it was delayed a month!

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Glad to see another person thought that some scenes had a little overkill on the bass.
another scene with extreme bass, is where the water pipe burst a hole open, where I think Data..moves the rocks and they fall.
Also, since getting this on Tues at 8am, I must have watched this DVD about 5 times.
------------------
[Edited last by JohnS on August 23, 2001 at 12:22 AM]

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
On Tuesday I strolled in to my local best buy at 3 pm the only time I could get there and thankfully I got the last copy of The Goonies. I watched it and was very impressed with the overall product. Didn't get ad chance to watch the deleted scenes but I'll get around to it. I haven't said this in the past 3 weeks but good job warner!?!
crazy.gif

------------------
"Come on, you fuckers think that just cause a guy reads comics he can't start some shit, I'll fucking take all you on!"
Beavis and Butthead on DVD
Family Guy on DVD
Support the cause please

JeremyJones

Agent
I picked mine up today at of all places Kmart. What is up with all the other places being sold out??? Luckily, everybody who shops at Kmart obviously doesn't have a DVD player, so I picked up a copy. The picture quality is great, except for the Mouth/Rosalita sequence which is sort of grainy. The much heralded video commentary is by far the funniest commentary I've heard yet. I was laughing out loud a lot! The behind the scenes was way too short, but insightful on how much Richard Donner was exasperated by the kids. I wish they would've put in more 'DELETE SCENES' and called them DELETED SCENES instead of OUTTAKES. In my DVD dictionary, outtakes are when people screw up and we all get a good laugh. Deleted scenes are scenes which were deleted. At first, I thought they'd left off the deleted scenes, but then found them under the misnomer of outtakes. Ugh. Oh, and the Cyndi Lauper video was great, too! Brings back memories. Warner, this is a family movie, and it's OAR, and it's selling like hotcakes! Why not Wonka? Anyhoo, great job on an 80's classic!

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Warner, this is a family movie, and it's OAR, and it's selling like hotcakes! Why not Wonka?
I believe it was DVD File who said Goonies too was due for the P&S treatmenet, and was only saved from being so because Donner stepped in.
Thank the lord that he did too, as I was very happy with the anamorphic transfer on offer. It looks truly wonderful in places, only showing it's age in a few minor shots (the scene where Mouth is going over all the drugs kept in the drawer was a little off, image wise).
There was some good seperation on the 5.1 mix, it had a lot of presence, but yes I agree maybe there's a tad too much bass here and there.
Since I was only 2 when this came out theatrically I never saw it on the big screen, I'd subsequently never seen it in widescreen until Tuesday, so that was a real treat, kind of opened up a whole new look on the movie for me....well, forget kinda, it DID.
I've realised that up until now, I had never really seen this movie! Before, I was little more then a moderate fan, I was never truly in love with the movie, and until Tuesday I'd not seen it in any form in at least nine or ten years. I say "any form" as I'd been used to the british television version (
laugh.gif
) up until now, so all the swearing and drug references were new to me, hence why it's like a different film to me now. I've stepped up from moderate fan to big fan, having watched it now three times (not inc running with commentary). Tis a jolly good romp! :)
Dan (UK)
PS: I agree that the layer switch is badly placed.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Dan,
Glad to see you like this movie!
I haven't noticed the layer switch, I guess my player quickly switches it, as I have yet to see it. Maybe I'm just not looking good.
I hope this sells well. W.B. needs a serious wake-up call!
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks