What's new

The Unknown (Tod Browning, 1927) - longer print has been found (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
As it should be. If copyright exists in perpetuity, it stifles creativity.

Same applies to patents, which, especially for medications and inventions which are or become necessary to our well-being, would be impossible for many to access or afford if not for their patents becoming public domain after a period of time. Regarding The Mouse, I dunno...maybe the world thinks Mickey deserves to stay with his creator because he brings such joy to us all and belongs in responsible (?) hands. But that means that people who hate or are afraid of mice are gonna be shit outta luck.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...Regarding The Mouse, I dunno...maybe the world thinks Mickey deserves to stay with his creator because he brings such joy to us all and belongs in responsible (?) hands...
And Disney also made it's fortune by appropriating stories in the public domain like Snow White, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty, but now wants to maintain a stranglehold on copyright.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Milne's first Winnie-the-Pooh book is now public domain. There's a new Pooh-based horror film coming out next year. They cannot use the Tigger character or other protected aspects of any Disney productions, but the characters of the first book are fair game.

1666963608019.png

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Same applies to patents, which, especially for medications and inventions which are or become necessary to our well-being, would be impossible for many to access or afford if not for their patents becoming public domain after a period of time. Regarding The Mouse, I dunno...maybe the world thinks Mickey deserves to stay with his creator because he brings such joy to us all and belongs in responsible (?) hands. But that means that people who hate or are afraid of mice are gonna be shit outta luck.
The Mickey of the 1920s-1950's is long gone nothing wrong with those copyrighted images being over and maybe we will see Mickey cartoons finally released unedited we the collector benefit

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
There's zero chance any of the main boutiques would get this without Warner, especially since the two main licensors in the US - Criterion and Shout! Factory - always license public domain titles properly. Though, part of me wants at least something, considering how disappointing it's been how Warner has more or less ignored their silent films for home video. I get it's not that profitable, but if we can get a Reginald Denny set from Kino Lorber, surely there's a market for the Chaney MGM films?

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Perhaps the next time Mr. Feltenstein appears on a podcast, someone should ask him about situation with The Unknown so we can get to the bottom of this.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Perhaps the next time Mr. Feltenstein appears on a podcast, someone should ask him about situation with The Unknown so we can get to the bottom of this.
This title is but one of the thousands requested. Poor Mr F, I'm sure he is as interested, excited and frusterated as we are!! Time will tell...as much of a collector, if not more so than most, Mr.F would be more than happy to pass along any information that he is able to relay, I'm sure!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks