What's new

The Undying Monster (1942) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
159057_front.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's been a very long time since I viewed this film. I can hardly remember it except for the atmospheric filming of it.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
This Blu-ray of "The Undying Monster" is something of a visual treat (and a visual revelation) --
Old TV prints were rather weak and this is a movie that demands the benefit of a very good HD image.

No, the story is not as good as a Universal Pictures Werewolf movie (nor Hammer Films one time trip into Lycanthropy), but the lighting and sets and art direction are first class, and the only way to experience this in the home is on this Blu-ray.

The Double Commentary by Tom Weaver is positive addition that makes this worth the price of admission.

Thumbs-up for the style used by Kino for their new Subtitle Option on the feature film --
While I don't know if they are too small for other televisions, they are almost perfect for the 60" HDTV that I use.
Why mention this? Well, the size:
The Subtitles are not so large as to interfere or obscure on-screen action in the film, but they are large & defined enough to read when one so chooses. I would like to hear how others feel about the Font and Size that Kino uses here, as I find them as good as any that I have used.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Just watched this BLU today blind but and I don't regret it. Great atmosphere score and cast. Love the sets and the cinematography. Great transfer and I can't wait to dive into the audio commentary tracks.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The Double Commentary by Tom Weaver is positive addition that makes this worth the price of admission.

Weaver did two
separate commentaries for this movie? As in two commentary selections? I do recall from other commentaries he's done that he is prepared and has hardly any blank space. I like his commentaries, they are chock full o' nuts.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Weaver did two separate commentaries for this movie? As in two commentary selections? I do recall from other commentaries he's done that he is prepared and has hardly any blank space. I like his commentaries, they are chock full o' nuts.

Yes. He gives a full Commentary for the entire movie,
then, when it ends,
he instructs you to click the Menu to access the "2nd" Commentary which is a continuation of the Commentary over the film again (which also starts from the beginning of the film).

Never known this to be done before.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Yes. He gives a full Commentary for the entire movie,
then, when it ends,
he instructs you to click the Menu to access the "2nd" Commentary which is a continuation of the Commentary over the film again (which also starts from the beginning of the film).

Never known this to be done before.

Tom is a regular contributor to the Classic Horror Film Boards, and his posts are informative and entertaining. Too bad he has (so far) chosen not to participate on HTF, where he would be heartily welcomed.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Tom is a regular contributor to the Classic Horror Film Boards, and his posts are informative and entertaining. Too bad he has (so far) chosen not to participate on HTF, where he would be heartily welcomed.
Yes, I'd love it if you would also join us here. There's only so much time in the day, I suppose.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Just watched this BLU today blind but and I don't regret it. Great atmosphere score and cast. Love the sets and the cinematography. Great transfer and I can't wait to dive into the audio commentary tracks.
I just watched the movie this evening and I heartily agree with your assessment. However, I do have a bone to pick about the movie which I will put in spoiler since I'm going to discuss the end.

The end is an enormous cheat. We see the monster carrying off Helga and even though he's obscured by the dark he's obviously got a good head of hair. Then as the creature climbs the cliff to face the policemen, there is no doubt he is a werewolf, none. The policeman shoot him in the face (no bullet wounds, but movies of this time did that) and his face dissolves to that of Oliver and he falls to his death.

Here's the cheat: dialogue between characters reveal he only thought he was a werewolf, he was mentally ill. WTF? We saw him as the werewolf and saw him change back to human. He was a werewolf, dammit! This is a huge cheat.

I check out the second commentary and skip to the end, no info on this. Go to first commentary and skip to end and Weaver has my reaction to a "T". He says he'll discuss it more in the second commentary, which I haven't listened to.

I am trying to imagine what I would have thought of this movie as a kid, Tonight was my first viewing of it. I think I would have resented the cheat at the end. It would have made me hate it. I know I'll give it another chance and will listen to the commentaries.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks