The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Discussion in 'DVD' started by felipenor, Nov 10, 2005.

1. felipenor

felipenor Stunt Coordinator

According to DVDAnswers:

Warner has also sent over artwork for a special edition of The Unbearable Lightness of Being which stars Daniel Day-Lewis, Juliette Binoche and Lena Olin. This Philip Kaufman film will arrive as a two-disc set from the 7th February. The retail price will be around $26.99. The film itself will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with English and French Dolby 2.0 Stereo Surround tracks. Extras will include a commentary by director/screenwriter Philip Kaufman, screenwriter Jean-Claude Carriere, co-star Lena Olin and editor Walter Murch, an Emotional History: The Making of The Unbearable Lightness of Being documentary, and the trailer. We've attached the official region one package artwork below:

http://www.dvdanswers.com/images/scr...einr1artpi.jpg

Here's the link: http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?...8134&n=1&burl=

I don't know if you agree, but that's one of the best covers Warner has ever done.

2. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I wonder if it will be worth it to double-dip on the previous single-disk Criterion edition. The commentary looks to be a port from that disk (at least the participants are the same). The docu & trailer are new features.

Will have to wait on reviews to see if the tranfer is improved (the Criterion disk is pretty good, and was one of their 1st anamorphic transfers).

3. Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan Supporting Actor

They've got the cover art for Ryan's Daughter, too. Original poster art...

4. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

I thought that Criterion never licensed out their commentaries (or any special features). Has this changed?

5. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

Yes. The Raging Bull criterion laserdisc commentary is on the new MGM dvd (thank heaven). I am all over this title. I've been waiting to purchase it for years. Coverart won't load, though.

Regards,
    Nathan

6. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    I never bought the Criterion DVD, I have the laser disc and the MGM DVD. I have heard the Criterion transfer was better. Is this true? If, so, I wonder which they will use.

7. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    It's possible they'll use a new transfer.

8. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

Regarding the picture of Lena Olin on the cover:

HELLO, NURSE!

Seriously, though, I've heard a lot about this movie (I know it was declared one of the 100 Greatest romantic movies of all time in AFI's "100 Years...100 Passions" list), but what's it all about?

Also, I review movies for the 80s Movies Rewind (check the link in my sig). Would this be worth a blind buy?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Killer cover.

9. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    I'm not seeing the cover art in the links...from the comments I bet I'm missing something...

Yeah, I'd sure buy a new version of this DVD if the PQ is greatly improved...

10. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

John,

it's about Daniel Day-Lewis, sex, and politics, and it's edited by Walter Murch. So yeah, it is worth a blind buy [​IMG]

Here are some reviews-

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...802050305/1023

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...essofbeing.htm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...ingkempley.htm

and some screenshots courtesy of dvdbeaver-

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCom...elightness.htm

I should note that the film isn't universally loved, but I personally think it's outstanding, with great characters in fascinating situations, brilliant acting and writing, and a pitch-perfect ending.

Regards,
    Nathan

PS- when the hell did Warner get this title??

11. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

Not exactly on topic, but anyone who's interested in this movie may be interested that it is on HDNet movies in December. I believe the first showing is the 13th.

SMK

12. felipenor

felipenor Stunt Coordinator

Why? It was already Warner's, wasn't it?

13. seanOhara

seanOhara Supporting Actor

Isn't the commentary on The Day the Earth Stood Still from a Criterion laserdisc?

14. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

No, it's from a Fox laserdisc.

That said, Criterion has been licensing out commentaries for years now. They have licensed commentaries to Columbia, Image, New Line, MGM...

DJ

15. Peter McM

Peter McM Supporting Actor

Peter
    This title is still the only Criterion I own, but that cover alone is worth a double dip! I wonder what could be on the second disc besides the documentary?

16. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

What I've been able to piece together:

The Unbearable Lightness of Being was produced by the Saul Zaentz Company, and distributed by Orion Pictures (which also apparently held the home video rights).

It was released on VHS by Orion Home Video in 1994.

Prior to 1997, Criterion/Voyager licensed the home video rights from Orion and released the film on laserdisc in 1998.

MGM purchased the Orion library in 1997, and released the film on VHS in 2000.

MGM honored the Orion license to Criterion, which allowed Criterion to release the film not only on laserdisc in 1998, but also on DVD in 2001.

In 2002, Criterion's video license to the film expired and their DVD went OOP. Soon after, MGM/UA released a barebones DVD of their own, which subsequently went OOP.

Within the last few years, Time Warner purchased the rights to most of the films of the Saul Zaentz Company. I suspect this voided the distribution agreement with Orion/MGM/UA.

Warner plans to release the film on DVD in February 2006.

17. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    That wasn't within the past few years. They had the rights to Amadeus and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest back in the mid-90's. I'm not sure why this film just suddenly showed up in Warner's hands.

18. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

The Saul Zaentz Company must own the film outright. They must have licensed the film to Orion in 1988 for VHS; Image Entertainment in 1989 for Laserdisc; Criterion in 1998 for thier Special Edition Laserdisc, the license must have lasted until early 2002, when MGM's DVD came out in September.

Now that MGM are owned by Sony, perhaps Zaentz, presupposing that he has the power to do so, cancelled or didn't renew the license to Sony. There may be conflict between Zaentz and Sony.

To be honest, I don't really care. The Criterion DVD is OOP and I tried to obtain a legit, sealed copy this year, but the prices were too high. I am huge admirer of the film and the people who made it, especially Murch and after reading the book The Conversations: Walter Murch and the Art of Editing Film by Michael Ondaatje and I have longed to hear the Criterion commentary. So, it's great that the film was licensed to Warner and that the cash was laid on Criterion's table. A shame that this didn't happen for Bad Day at Black Rock. And a new documentary on disc 2? Great! I hope that Jean-Claude Carrière was interviewed, as he is an amazing talent and speaks very eloquently on all the Criterion interviews and the recent UK DVD of Cyrano de Bergerac.

This is, for me, the first great surprise DVD of 2006.

19. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

[Double post; please delete]

20. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter