The ULTIMATE Toslink/S-Video switch box

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_G, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    Hi all,
    I realize that this unit was mentioned in another thread, but I love this thing SO much that I felt it deserved its own dedicated thread.
    A little background: I have a TiVo, PS2, XBox, GameCube, DVD player, and a VCR running through a Pioneer VSX-608. Because of the limited number of digital inputs on the 608, I was forced to buy a Toslink switcher from Radio Shack and still use another video switcher for the game devices. The DVD and TiVO still had their own dedicated inputs. Last night a friend of mine came over with my Christmas present. A Radio Shack Toslink/S-Video switcher with SIX inputs!!
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D1987
    Its catalog ID is 15-1987.
    That's not the cool part. It converts analog audio to digital!!! My GameCube only has analog out, but while the 608 was still in digital mode, I got audio from the GameCube! It also converts composite to S-Video, has TWO OUTPUTS, and learns IR signals so that you can switch it using your remote.
    I don't normally endorse anything unless it blows me away, and this did. It's $150 and only available at the B&M store for some reason. With Cristmas a week away, this would be a perfect gift for someone that has more devices than inputs.
    Mike

2. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

Now all we need is something that supports component input [​IMG]

3. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

YES! This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. I don't need component since my tv isn't HD, and all of my other systems are S-Video going into a switcher now. Thanx, Mike!

Freddy C.

4. Mike_G

Mike_G Screenwriter

Mike
    There are 3 RCA inputs on it (Composite video, left and right audio). This SHOULD work if you plug in the 3 component jacks there. I don't know if there will be any issues plugging in a component plug into the composite jack since the unit does composite->S-Video conversion, but I'll bet it's worth a try.

Mike

5. Brett_V

Brett_V Extra

I seriously doubt that you could use this device to switch component signals instead of the intended composite signals it was designed for. You wont do any harm, but dont spend $150 hoping that this might be the case.

6. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Mike G, the connectors are the same, the specs on the signals.... that's a different story.

It might work, but chances are there would be signal degradation. Which would result in poor video.

Anyone try this? I'd like to see measurements on the outputs. =)

7. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

will it pass digital signals like DD or DTS without currupting data? Has anyone used it to switch DD sound between a DVD player and a DSS receiver, for instance?

-dave

8. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Regarding using a composite switchbox for component switching, check this thread: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=13940
    The composite switchbox performed very well in the tests. (I haven't tried it yet, as I have no need for another component input at this time).
    -Dave