The ultimate surround sound format: 1.0

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gabor, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Gabor

Gabor Auditioning

2. Greg Robertson

Greg Robertson Stunt Coordinator

Now that is just bizarre..

3. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    [​IMG] LOL!! geez thats the funniest thing i've seen in a long time...

4. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Outbosing? [​IMG]
    That is a fantastic word! Let's lobby the Oxford English Dictionary to include that one!
    Imagine the effects on the fairy tale "The Emperor's New Clothes" alone!
    -JNS

5. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

[rant]Now this is stupid! Now, all these dumb J6P's are gonna strut around with their "Home Theaters" and ruin all our hard work! "Man, my Home Theater is better then yours" "But I have a projector, theater seating and B&W speakers!" "Man, my speaker is cooler then all of yours, and I got surround sound, it's sounds like 250+ speakers"

To me, that person does not have the right to related to Home Theater[/rant]

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Actually, this might work. A possible analogy is to holography. Holography creates a three-dimensional image from a limited-extent, two-dimensional medium. The key is the medium actually has, essentially, many little reflectors, and by the magic of diffraction, produce the full image.
    Similarly, this system is not actually "one" speaker, it's 254 small speakers. And as the article says, by incorporating the phase variations across the sources, and utilizing diffraction effects, you could conceivably create a full three-dimensional sonic image with this.
    I've got no idea if they really pulled it off, nor how good it would sound, or even my analogy would hold up under real-world conditions. But, this might just work, and it might just be pretty amazing [​IMG]
    I certainly hope so! It would be great to get rid of the 5+ speakers and related mounting problems, and replace them with a single unit, perhaps integrated into the entertainment center furniture.

7. David Meek

David Meek Extra

I'd just like to see a photo of the thing.

8. Tom Czr

Tom Czr Agent

I heared it also goes to 11

9. Rob Peloski

Rob Peloski Agent

Even if this "speaker" is capable of creating a realistic surround effect, wouldn't it have huge accuracy problems like all of Blowse's speakers that use multiple drivers of the same size (i.e. the Bose 901's)?

Even if the 254 drivers are of different sizes (although considering the size of the box there couldn't possibly be much size difference between them if they are all going to fit), I can't see how they are going to produce highs, mids and upper bass accurately. (looking at the specs which say 80Hz - 20KHz it's obvious a sub would still be needed for the real bass)

Overall I can't see this device ever replacing a properly setup multispeaker theater system. But for those who are more concerned about looks then sound (i.e. the demographic Bose targets) it might be a welcome and superior alternative provided it actually works.

10. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

In theory though...since they are using the walls for the "surround effect"...then you would have to have a "certain" room for it to work. Like I dont have 4 walls in my Ht room.. I only have 2 solid... so if your system is relying on walls to "bounce" the sound... sounds like this could cause a "hole" in there surround sound?
    just an observation. Maybe if all ht rooms were 4-wall square/rectangle..it might work[​IMG]

11. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I can think of 254 reasons why this is Horse Malarky!
    Is this the audio version of P&S?
    "Lets take away 5 speakers and replace it with one, that way you can fill up your room with sound, without having to mount anything"
    This is just another Boselike attempt at Bastardizing our 5.1 and other surround formats! [​IMG]

12. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Just when I geared up for a full 10.2 system!!!

13. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas