1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

The Ultimate Summer Movie - 1991

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck Mayer, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Summer movies had enjoyed a long and (somewhat) distinguished past up through 1991, and even a respected run after that. But with all the disappointment the current "summer event movie" brings - with the hollow hype, gee-whiz effects, and lamentable storylines, it is fun to think back to the prototypical summer movie...11 years ago.
    It was a sequel, how often are they any good?
    It was hyped beyond belief, and relied very heavily on special effects, ditto?
    It's trailers created quite the buzz, and drew severe criticisms from the PC core.
    I speak of Terminator 2: Judgment Day, of course. It was a lone juggernaut of it's day, unlike now when several duke it out annually.
    So why the thread about it?
    People discussing the new SW trailer, which I am excited about, got me thinking about GREAT trailers. Specifically trailers of summer movies. When hard-pressed to think of the most effective trailer I ever saw, the "More Than Meets The Eye" T2 trailer comes to mind. It teased, but gave little away. It divulged none of the movie's secrets, but showed off it's action very carefully. It promised new heights of action, drama, and spectacle - and the movie delivered.
    Today's summer pics (with a very rare exception or two) are all about the GREAT TRAILER. Hook em, get em in, throw a few CGI effects in...wham - high concept summer movie.
    Terminator 2 delivered. BIG time. It was everything it promised and more. It started where every film of worth starts...with a story worth telling. It effectively used the trappings of a blockbuster - hollow trappings today - to tell a gargantuan, awe-inspiring, whopper of an action yarn. It had a good heart beneath it's sexy exterior.
    If one action movie ever summer was half as good as this, I'd be content. I remember enjoying VFX in recent films. Thinking something was pretty cool. Look what they can do. Even Jurassic Park wowed me. But this was the last time I was utterly amazed by effects sequences.
    Anyways, every now and then we talk great movies here. While I admit a long line of losers followed thie masterpiece, this one was worth it's weight in gold.
    Hail To The King!
    Take care,
    Chuck

2. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I remember intentionally avoiding the GnR video for You Could Be Mine to avoid any spoilers at all. As it was, you still knew Arnie was the good guy; unfortunately because the film plays it close to the vest till the critical point and if you really didn't know you could be fooled.

Still, it did deliver, big time. One of the rare times that there was a packed house waiting on the film, something that at the time was fading away. Something only SW SE, TPM, Blair Witch limited release have pulled off lately. Even the FOTR wait was not as long nor as energized as that T2 wait.

And the crowd was fed that energy right back. Applause at many critical moments, laughs, cheers, very interactive in the positive way. Honestly, that has become very rare at any films lately which is too bad because GOOD audience feedback, when the film is really connecting, is a great thing.

Good idea for a topic Chuck. It's always good to look back and put things in perspective.

T2 - summer popcorn...and please keep your brain with you. It makes a mockery of the "check your brain at the door" apologies for bad popcorn flicks.

PS - I just watched one of the first great popcorn action films, The General. It delivers the goods on the same level with non-stop action, despite having no CGI, no sound, no color.

3. andreasingo

andreasingo Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, one thing Cameron is good at is building anticipation and DELIVER on the premise. Aliens and T2 have the most audience-pleasing kick-ass action sequences ever put to film AND a good story too.

When I think of summer films nowdays I think of dreck like Godzilla and Independence Day. I'm rooting for Spielberg to pull Minority Report off. That's the only blockbuster I'm looking forward to this summer.

4. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

Summer 1991 i was 17 yrs. old...EVERYTHING WAS BETTER DUDE!