What's new

The Ultimate Oliver Stone Collection - Due on 10/19/04 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Warner Home Video is re-releasing the Oliver Stone catalog on October 19th, just in time for his newest film "Alexander."

Previously released in 2001 as the ten-disc "The Oliver Stone Collection," the new fourteen-disc The Ultimate Oliver Stone Collection will include the films "Wall Street," "Talk Radio," "Born on the Fourth of July," "The Doors," "JFK: Director's Cut," "Heaven and Earth," "Natural Born Killers," "Nixon," "U-Turn," "Any Given Sunday: Director's Cut" and the career retrospective documentary "Oliver Stone's America."

New to this edition are the DVD debuts of Stone's recent documentaries "Looking for Fidel" and "Persona Non Grata," MGM's "Platoon" and "Salvador" special editions, and a bonus disc featuring an exclusive preview and a free movie ticket to Stone's "Alexander."

Retail will be $129.92.

Matthew_S

Second Unit
i have the 10 disc (?) box from a couple of years back..doesn't look like this is that much different...cool though.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
If theyre gonna rerelease it then they could at least us 16x9 treatments to these films. Nixon and The Doors look terrible.

DVD has been around for 7 years, there no excuse why we should still have to deal with DVDs that are non16x9

:thumbsdown: for no new transfers

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Unless Nixon and The Doors include new anamorphic transfers, count me out.

And will Born on the Fourth of July DVD be the new release coming out or the original release?

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator
With WB now including the 2 DVDs that MGM refused to let them have a few years ago (Platoon and Salvador )for the first issue of the Oliver Stone box, I wonder if these means that the rumor that Warners may buy MGM may be coming to fruition

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, hopefully they'll at least use better cases than those 2 disc flip out snappers.

Did that set really come out back in 2001? I think that's still the most I've ever spent on DVDs in one shot. Still, no reason to double dip on this one. I'd like to get the docs, but it's not worth another $200 for them...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm not going to upgraed, I have the original and that's good enough for me. hopefully the 2 documentaries well be made available seperatly.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
PLus, i think the seperate release of Nixon had DTS as well. But really, if they plan on this, then leave room for an Alexander disc(s) and retransfer some of those shows!!!

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
When I actually think about it, the chances of those films having new transfers are not much, You would think that they would have be announced already or at least some mention seperate from this release. Well this does hold true for Born, the other older ones it does not. PLus, I would love to see the directors cut of U-Turn!!!

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
This is interesting... I would contemplate an upgrade if...

- Born on The Fourth of July has a better transfer
- The Doors, Nixon and Born have 16x9 transfers
- The Additional doc that was put onto JFK re-lrelease last year is featured in the set
- Improved packaging

Joshua_W

Second Unit
I need to know a bit more about this. It sounds like a really good deal on the surface.

How do they figure 14 discs?

It looks like it contains:

1) Wall Street
2) Talk Radio
3) Born on the Fourth of July
4) The Doors
5) JFK: Director's Cut
6) Heaven and Earth
7) Natural Born Killers
8) Nixon
9) U-Turn
10) Any Given Sunday: Director's Cut
11) Oliver Stone's America
12) Looking for Fidel
13) Persona Non Grata
14) Platoon SE
15) Salvador SE
16) a bonus disc featuring an exclusive preview and a free movie ticket to Stone's "Alexander."

Looks like a minimum of sixteen DVDs right there. Unless they aren't counting the "Alexander" preview, and "Looking for Fidel" and "Persona Non Grata" on are on the same disc, which takes us down to 14.

But even then, weren't a lot of these 2-disc sets? I know that "The Doors," "JFK," and "Any Given Sunday" are. Does the 14-disc set mean no bonus discs on the 2-disc sets?

And what kind of packaging will these be in? The original releases were released as a hodge-podge of keepcases, snappers, and digipaks. Do they all get repackaged in a consistent way?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
^^^

Josh just summer up everything I was wondering too about this set. Will the 2-disc sets be offered as such and how does Warner figure this will be a 14 disc set? Is "Looking For Fidel" & "Persona Non Grata" going to be paried as a double-feature?

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
It'll be more than 14 discs... The so-called '10 disc' set was ten movies (er, nine and the Stone doc), but several more discs than that.

It will surely have the new Born On The Fourth special, releasing on the same day. And the recent JFK special edition. Hopefully no snappers.

I'll very probably get this. I was going to get Born on The Fourth and have been wanting to have Natural Born Killers and JFK... and I liked Any Given Sunday quite a bit...

I've got Doors and Platoon already, but was holding off on getting more (Wall Street and Salvador have been tempting cheapies, but I resisted)... kinda always thought I MIGHT get the 2001 box 'someday', but the price was still always too high, and after a better JFK came out... And so hated the one-pocket-with-an-extra-disc-slipped-in thing a couple of them had... and snappers, of course (but that wasn't really a deal-breaker...). Agree all transfers should be anamorphic- ridiculous that any aren't.

Hm. The Castro doc that HBO rejected (Commandante) should probably accompany Looking For Fidel...

The price is lower on this box than the one before it... and it's got more. That's good.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Looks great, I'm selling off my Platoon: SE in anticipation!

PS - Do you guys have any idea how much credit debt I will be in come 2005?!?!

:D

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
Box art looks neat, a lot nicer than the last one, but sure looks thin... no 'individual' packaging for the films, looks like- digipack/book style?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure the picture isn't an accurate measurement depiction, it's just to display the cover/box art. I'd expect, and certainly hope to see individual keepcase. I doubt Warners would use a digipack for this since most of their other Director collections from the Signature Series to Kubrick, etc have all had individual cases.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
That box is oddly shaped.

If it isn't just a mock-up, I don't know how they're going to get 18 DVDs in there. It doesn't look any bigger than the 6-disc Buffy Digipak.

If it's going to hold fourteen standard-sized cases (keepcases, snappers) then it'll have to be the same size as the Monty Python's Flying Circus box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks