What's new

The Ultimate Nerd Monitor (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member

"The X-Top SlimLine Ultra Series offers the most incredible images available, delivering *per screen* up to 3840 x 2400 resolution at .1245 pixel pitch."

X-Top Expert-10

This configuration is $155,000. Wouldn't it just be cheaper to buy 10 seperate 22" LCDs and tape them together? :crazy:

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
LOL!

If I ever decide to take over the world, I'll have to get that for my 'command center.' :laugh:

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I might be misunderstanding the resolution specs but 3840x2400 seems a bit uninspiring for a 10' wide screen.

Considering the 23" Apple Cinema display can do exactly half that resolution in a smaller box makes me think the X-Top product wouldn't look all that great.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
The X-Top SlimLine Ultra Series offers the most incredible images available, delivering *per screen* up to 3840 x 2400 resolution at .1245 pixel pitch.
Sounds like it's saying that each panel is capable of that resolution.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like it's saying that each panel is capable of that resolution.
That was my understanding as well.

So, in the configuration shown we have a screen that roughly can be about 100" (using their maximum screen size) in horizontal width with a combined screen resolution up to roughly 18,000 x 4,800 pixels assuming a 5x2 configuration as shown.

Maybe I'm missing something. I'm as much of a techno-geek as anyone, but this just seems to be so utterly stupid.

Am I supposed to want a screen that is still smaller than some home theater projectors, costs a bazillion times more than an HT projector, and has a resolution that is totally wasted since even HD signals don't come close to that resolution?

I'm sorry. Am I supposed to be impressed with this?

If I am -- Ooooh. Ahhhh.

For that money I'd rather a build a new house with a dedicated HT room in it. I'd still probably have money left over.

Ammon

Stunt Coordinator
Obviously that monitor is for someone who has loads of cash and has run out of toys to buy!

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I hope it catches on. Granted I doubt these guys could sell one if they had to, but think of the potential? Given a market and some time, something like that will be affordable for any of us eventually. Remember how expensive 17" CRT monitors were once?

I'd love to have a 5' wide monitor.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I agree. I would be pretty cool, but there is no way with that kind of cost that they will be able to sell it, particularly now that people like Dennis Kozlowski are being thrown in jail. :D

A 5' wide screen from a projector for less than $10,000 or a 5' wide LCD screen for $115,000 ... let me think ...

But here is something to think about, Mike.

A 65-inch (diagonal) 16:9 TV produces a height of 32.1 inches and a width of 56.5 inches. Right now with existing widescreen TVs you're only 3.5 inches away from having a 5' wide monitor that is approximately $150,000 less than what this company is offering. Obivously, there is far more floor space for a 65" widescreen TV, but for a $150,000 savings, I'll sacrifice the floor space - and still have enough to buy a new house to give me more floor space. :)

Greg_TSL

Stunt Coordinator
I'd imagine the display would be used in government labs that are required to spend ungodly amounts of cash to view simplistic models of molecules rotating around so they can look like they are doing something important.
Attach a virtual reality glove and a supercomputer and welcome to grade A Pork.
Dont forget the entire setup will be available on Ebay in 2 years for $3000.

KyleS

Screenwriter
These screens would be for people that need to keep track of a ton of different information at one time. Its no different then the displays in the Matrix where they have 4 or 5 each displaying different bits of info.

I could see Government agencies, Stock companies, & possibly hospitals using these. How great would it be to have vital signs for each patient with a video showing them at the same time?

KyleS

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I agree at these prices it'll never go anywhere, but the idea might catch on.

I know that you can achieve basically the same thing with a $1500 LCD projector (not at that resolution, but enough), but being able to configure the screen to your liking. Stack it however, wrap it around you, wide, tall, whatever you can think of. Plus being able to display different info on each one.

I'm sure eventually you'll see that type of setup used for security camera viewing and things like that. If the price were competitive, it would sure beat a wall full of traditional b&w monitors.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
If anything it would also be a kick-ass 3D gaming setup. Have a game that takes up your entire field of vision. :D

(Does anyone remember that the original Doom could do that if you had three PCs available?)

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
with how much money that costs, I would buy a good projector and just paint all my windows black!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks