The Ultimate Nerd Monitor

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott L, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

[​IMG]

"The X-Top SlimLine Ultra Series offers the most incredible images available, delivering *per screen* up to 3840 x 2400 resolution at .1245 pixel pitch."

X-Top Expert-10

This configuration is $155,000. Wouldn't it just be cheaper to buy 10 seperate 22" LCDs and tape them together? [​IMG]

2. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

LOL!

If I ever decide to take over the world, I'll have to get that for my 'command center.' [​IMG]

3. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    That would make for one huge solitaire game!

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I might be misunderstanding the resolution specs but 3840x2400 seems a bit uninspiring for a 10' wide screen.

Considering the 23" Apple Cinema display can do exactly half that resolution in a smaller box makes me think the X-Top product wouldn't look all that great.

5. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

6. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

7. Ammon

Ammon Stunt Coordinator

Obviously that monitor is for someone who has loads of cash and has run out of toys to buy!

8. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I hope it catches on. Granted I doubt these guys could sell one if they had to, but think of the potential? Given a market and some time, something like that will be affordable for any of us eventually. Remember how expensive 17" CRT monitors were once?

I'd love to have a 5' wide monitor.

9. John_Berger

I agree. I would be pretty cool, but there is no way with that kind of cost that they will be able to sell it, particularly now that people like Dennis Kozlowski are being thrown in jail. [​IMG]

A 5' wide screen from a projector for less than $10,000 or a 5' wide LCD screen for $115,000 ... let me think ...

But here is something to think about, Mike.

A 65-inch (diagonal) 16:9 TV produces a height of 32.1 inches and a width of 56.5 inches. Right now with existing widescreen TVs you're only 3.5 inches away from having a 5' wide monitor that is approximately $150,000 less than what this company is offering. Obivously, there is far more floor space for a 65" widescreen TV, but for a $150,000 savings, I'll sacrifice the floor space - and still have enough to buy a new house to give me more floor space. [​IMG]

10. Greg_TSL

Greg_TSL Stunt Coordinator

I'd imagine the display would be used in government labs that are required to spend ungodly amounts of cash to view simplistic models of molecules rotating around so they can look like they are doing something important.
    Attach a virtual reality glove and a supercomputer and welcome to grade A Pork.
    Dont forget the entire setup will be available on Ebay in 2 years for $3000.

11. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

12. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

These screens would be for people that need to keep track of a ton of different information at one time. Its no different then the displays in the Matrix where they have 4 or 5 each displaying different bits of info.

I could see Government agencies, Stock companies, & possibly hospitals using these. How great would it be to have vital signs for each patient with a video showing them at the same time?

KyleS

13. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I agree at these prices it'll never go anywhere, but the idea might catch on.

I know that you can achieve basically the same thing with a $1500 LCD projector (not at that resolution, but enough), but being able to configure the screen to your liking. Stack it however, wrap it around you, wide, tall, whatever you can think of. Plus being able to display different info on each one.

I'm sure eventually you'll see that type of setup used for security camera viewing and things like that. If the price were competitive, it would sure beat a wall full of traditional b&w monitors.

14. John_Berger

If anything it would also be a kick-ass 3D gaming setup. Have a game that takes up your entire field of vision. [​IMG]

(Does anyone remember that the original Doom could do that if you had three PCs available?)

15. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

with how much money that costs, I would buy a good projector and just paint all my windows black!