What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

The Ultimate Multi-Region DVD Player (1 Viewer)

errol

Stunt Coordinator
Hi ya folks,

Personally, I primarily use an htpc to view dvds. My family likes the standalone player (the sky) because of its ease of use. Not as complicated and intimidating as running the htpc.

I think everyone has their own opinion on the best on anything and everything. Each has their on unique set of criteria in evaluating an item or product. Most of the time this is personal and often times subjective.

Sounds like everyone who has contributed thus far is happy with their selections.

Thanks,

Errol

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I always thought the whole deinterlacing issue was a bit confusing. This refers really to video based material doesn't it? Since I use the RP91 for watching movies I took this to be a non-issue for me.

I'm going to fire off a question to see SHT to see if they will revisit the RP91 with the 236 upgrade. It would be nice to know what improvements the firmware upgrade has provided.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Is the moded RP-91 available anywhere and if so at what price? Or does one have to buy a stock machine and then have it moded?

Does the mod allow you to turn off "mandatory" subtitles and override other "forbiden by the disk" functions?

Is there a (moded) European version of the RP-91 that has a SCART - RGB out?

Ted

Sundar Prasad

Stunt Coordinator
The fact that the Malata and the Skyworth are inferior players to the RP91 is so obvious that it takes about 5 minutes of using each to figure it out.
I beg to disagree. I tested the Malata against the RP-91 and came to no such conclusion. I used a 27" Sony production monitor (component inputs and it does the 16:9 squeeze) for the interlaced comparison, and an NEC LT150 DLP projector for the progressive comparison. Both Avia and VE were used to calibrate the DVD players with the playback devices. I checked for aspects such as frequency response (using the Avia resolution patterns), edge enhancement, colour fidelity etc. The Malata kept up with the RP-91 in all aspects of video. I wasn't surprised with this result.

The Malata's video section is based on the Mediamatics Pantera chip which is also used in the JVC 723GD player (for a writeup on the JVC 723's video quality, note I am NOT talking deinterlacing, search the HometheaterHiFi site for a review) which according to Stacey Spears was right up there with the best players like the Camelot. The Pantera does MPEG decoding and video D/A conversion on one chip in addition to other neat things such as independent X-Y scaling and superb PAL-NTSC conversion. This means that the video performance of the Malata is probably almost as good as that of TagMcLaren's high-end DVD32R player who chose to use the same Pantera solution in their product.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Now, you guys can put your penis back in your pants. No one is judging anyone by the DVD player they use. If one has a Skyworth or a Malata, or anything else and is happy with it, that's terrific. Be happy. But don't be deluded.
That classless statement requires no reply.

Kevin C.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Now, you guys can put your penis back in your pants. No one is judging anyone by the DVD player they use. If one has a Skyworth or a Malata, or anything else and is happy with it, that's terrific. Be happy. But don't be deluded.
Okay, who's the troll posting under Obi's name?

It's clear that you are grossly enamored of the RP91 to the point it has clouded any sort of judgment that you have on the issue. Five minutes with the Malata and Skyworth and you dismiss them as inferior? Hell, that's not even enough time to calibrate them, let alone give them a fair trial.

And I stand by my statement on the NTSC==>PAL conversion issue. If you're limited to NTSC discs, there's a whole world of PAL-only goodness you're missing out on. Call your Panny ultimate while you stroke off all over it, I'm watching PAL and NTSC discs and they all look great.

Robert George

Screenwriter
I'm not trolling, Mark. You guys are acting like I insulted your manhood because I claim, my opinion mind you, that your DVD players are not the best. A little overly sensitive I think.

That's not what this thread is about, so let's leave it here. If you don't agree with my comments, then rebut them with your own. Don't make it a pissing contest.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Finally, I'm nat taking a "dig" at anything. The FACT that the Malata and the Skyworth are inferior players to the RP91 is so obvious that it takes about 5 minutes of using each to figure it out.
Now that we cleared that little error up I agree there is no longer any need to continue the pissing match. Which I certainly didn't start.
Kevin C. :)

James D S

Screenwriter
Wow, Robert. You'd a thought you said something about their mommas.

Heaven forbid someone be so confident of themselves that a little criticism doesn't send them off the handle. If your hold on happiness is so tenuous that an opinion from someone else has you break-dancing with anger, you probably need to reevaluate your convictions. Just a thought.

Obi has said nothing more than his own opinions. Welcome to a free speech society fellas. Enjoy your stay. We love contrary opinions here too. Bring'em on. Leave the bickering at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chantalc
Recent bookmarks