optical mouse. The mousepad that I
run it across is your typical crappy
generic mousepad.

I remember MaximumPC magazine
highly touted what they thought was the
"ultimate mousepad" which was being sold
exclusively on the Internet. Unfortnately,
the company is no longer in business (guess
people aren't into expensive mousepads).

I am *guessing* that spending a little
$$$ to buy something of quality will improve
the way one's mouse rolls across their desktop.

So....

Anyone have something that they are using
that they feel is a cut above everything else?

For instance, here's something I found

....and please, if you think its ridiculous
that I even think about buying something too
expensive to roll my mouse across, let me know.

Thanks

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I had a 3M precision mousing surface for a while and really liked it. It was all the rage about 5 years ago, having some sort of microscopic, pyramidal surface structure. It was noticably smoother with my mechanical mouse, and good for games.

Of course, keeping the pads on your mouse clean will help keep your mousing experience optimal. :)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure if it's ridiculous or not, but if you think you see an improvement, then go for it. Personally, I gave up on mouse pads when I moved from mechanical to optical, but then again I also use a logitech trackball at home (and an optical mouse straight on the desk at work).

Of course, if you're interested in something with some "wrist support", then there's always this option :)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i'd be a little hesitant to spend more than a few dollars if you use an optical mouse. most "performance" mousepads increase friction between the pad and the mouse ball by using a surface that grips better than a normal pad. i doubt you would get any performance gain at all when using an optical mouse, unless you are using it on a surface that is giving you problems (such as a bumpy or dirty surface). if you did buy one of those pads, it certainly would work well, but probably no better than what you have now.

CJ

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Christ,

That sounds like exceptional advice.

Perhaps I'll put off wasting my $$$

Thank You.

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
I highly recommend the Func surface 1030 mousepad. its the best out there. dual sided mouse cord clip etc. ive had mine for about 4 years now and im a hardcore gamer and have yet too wear it out.

www.func.net

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor

Actually performance mouse pads for optical mice can be any pad with a design on them. The design makes it so the optical part has more information to read making it easier for the mouse to track accurately. Think of it this way, if you have an all black page to look at and you zoom in so one square inch is filling your screen trying to figure out where you are on that black page it becomes difficult. If you zoom into one square inch of a picture tracking where you are on that picture is easy. In short a pad with a design makes it easier and more accurate for the mouse to track.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
my mx700 is on some cheapo pad i (think) i got for free. my work mouse is a ms optical that i roll directly on the desk. no probs with either one.

i find i can do more "fine-tuning" just using the os software.

admittedly though, i have no experience with all this fancy-schmany stuff ... mebbe it does work. heck, worst case scenario is you buy it from somewhere that you can easily return it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.