What's new

The Ultimate Buster Keaton Collection (1 Viewer)

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
We all knew this was coming - Kino finally collects all their Buster Keaton Ultimate Edition releases into one 15-disc boxset (release date 12/11). The MSRP ($299.99) is significantly less than that of the individual releases put together. If you had been buying the individual releases all along you will have to wait until next year to complete your collection with the last unreleased title (College) which will be included exclusively in the boxset for now.
It is not clear what disc 15 will be (unless College takes up 2 discs which is highly unlikely, the individual releases including College add up to only 14 discs). I know it is wishful thinking but I wonder if Kino managed to get the rights to the Buster Keaton documentary by Kevin Brownlow (A Hard Act to Follow). Or will they just throw in the Keaton Plus DVD from their Art of Buster Keaton boxset ?
-D

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I certainly hope that COLLEGE gets a separate release. Only a knavish company would expect those of us who have all the single releases to buy the set to get COLLEGE. I don't see Kino taking that route. I have the laserdisc of A HARD ACT TO FOLLOW; so I don't need the set just for that.

Brianruns10

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Rose
David_B_K said:
I certainly hope that COLLEGE gets a separate release. Only a knavish company would expect those of us who have all the single releases to buy the set to get COLLEGE. I don't see Kino taking that route. I have the laserdisc of A HARD ACT TO FOLLOW; so I don't need the set just for that.
It will. If you read their press release, they promote "College" as an exclusive to the boxset UNTIL 2013, when it will surely be released as a stand alone.
Honestly, I think it's a classy move. I mean, they're trying to induce people who maybe haven't bought the Keatons, to buy them all, with the promise of a little extra, while making it known that to those of us who've loyally bought them as they trickled out, that we won't have to wait long to get it. It's fair. I mean, compare to fucking Warners, who bundled "The Magnificent Ambersons" only with the super deluxe box-o-crap edition of Citizen Kane, and then never announce or follow through on a proper, stand alone release of a damn, damn excellent film.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Yes, there is no indication that College will remain exclusive for long. It is just annoying for those who bought all the titles one at a time to have spent more and to still have to wait longer to complete their collection. Also you have to wonder how a lower-tier title like College could entice someone to buy a $200 boxset if they were not already inclined to buy it.
-D

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Didn't mean to have spoiler tags on my post. I was using my iPad and it was too difficult to remove them.
---edit---
Spoiler tags off.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Thanks for the haeds up on this one. Pre-ordered it off of Amazon.ca for $204.99.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Brianruns10 /t/323958/the-ultimate-buster-keaton-collection#post_3979176
It will. If you read their press release, they promote "College" as an exclusive to the boxset UNTIL 2013, when it will surely be released as a stand alone.
Honestly, I think it's a classy move. I mean, they're trying to induce people who maybe haven't bought the Keatons, to buy them all, with the promise of a little extra, while making it known that to those of us who've loyally bought them as they trickled out, that we won't have to wait long to get it. It's fair. I mean, compare to fucking Warners, who bundled "The Magnificent Ambersons" only with the super deluxe box-o-crap edition of Citizen Kane, and then never announce or follow through on a proper, stand alone release of a damn, damn excellent film.

Magnificent Ambersons was available individually at amazon.com upon release.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
I don't know of any boxsets that have included (what would have to be a minimum of) 12-13 standard-sized Blu-ray cases in a slipbox (that would make for a very unwieldy package) which leads me to wonder what kind of packaging Kino is planning to use for this set. Will they go for slimcases (like they did for most of their large DVD boxsets) or a digipak/digibook ?
-D

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Box art posted on Kino. 4 Bluray cases in a slipcase appear to hold all the discs. Thank goodness! Appear to be cased in chronological order for nerds like me that view things in list form.

It appears to have maybe lost a disc though. The box says 14, not 15 discs as originally suggested.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Seems to be the thicker Vortex variety of the 3-disc/4-disc case (that Sony uses on the Breaking Bad sets). But I definitely prefer this to 14 slimcases or some kind of monstrosity (just my opinion of course) like the Universal Hitchcock set.
ImportCDs has it for under $145 shipped (they have their 10% off sale going on now) and I couldn't pass it up (I will just sell my individual releases).
-D

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
For those curious about the eventual standalone release of College, here are some details about the features as well as the cover art
Blu-ray Features
• Audio commentary by film historian Rob Farr, founder of Slapsticon
• Visual essay on the film's locations
• "The Scribe," a 1966 industrial short that was Keaton's final filmed performance
http://www.kinolorber.com/images/product/640/1737.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrossAtlantic
Recent bookmarks