1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-Order The Ugly American (1963) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    91nUEDsaJoL._SY679_.

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Flashgear likes this.
  2. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Well, I'm interested, particularly at that low price. I know some regular posters here have little respect for Mill Creek, but my one experience with them was The Lady From Shanghai and their Blu-ray disc was the best of three.

Flashgear likes this.
  3. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Mill Creek's blu ray of The Wild One with Brando looks very nice too.

Flashgear likes this.
  4. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    You're right! I'd forgotten that. So I've had two good experiences with Mill Creek!

Flashgear likes this.
  5. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    An underrated film. Brando is very good, and the political theme plays out well.

Flashgear and Camps like this.
  6. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

It's also the only major film role for Sandra Church (who plays Brando's wife), the original Gypsy Rose Lee in the original Broadway production of Gypsy with Ethel Merman. She received a Tony nomination for her performance and you'd think a major career would be in the cards but it never happened.

Flashgear likes this.
  7. Camps

Camps Supporting Actor

Tom
    I think any disdain or dismissiveness may have been guilt-by-association over Mill Creek's origins as a packager of public-domain titles. But, in fairness, they can only be expected to do as good a job as possible with the material provided. If major studios like Sony/Columbia provide Mill Creek with pristine source material, then there's every expectation Mill Creek should do the title proud. One knock against them may have been around their issuance of a 2D-only version of the 1983 3D title Spacehunter -- but again, in fairness, that's all Sony/Columbia provided them.

I agree Ugly American is an underrated (and somewhat prescient) film. Most noteworthy to me is that this marks a maiden Mill Creek release of a Universal title. What's next ....?

Brent Reid and Flashgear like this.
  8. Message #8 of 9 Aug 15, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Flashgear

Flashgear Screenwriter

Randall
    I viewed the new Mill Creek Blu of The Ugly American today...it looks good, but not spectacular. A decent enough film elements source with good color and contrast. I'm not disappointed, especially at this price point. The 2:07 running time is divided into 13 chapters with the original trailer as a bonus.

I hope that Mill Creek can give us more Universal holdings.

As others have said, It's a good film that was quite prescient to the situation abroad in the S.E. Asia of 1958-1963, not just for South Vietnam but also for Cambodia and Laos...any of which could be taken for the fictional "Sarkan". It's always bothered some that this film didn't stay more faithful to the novel, especially in respect to the book's character, "Colonel Hillandale", for which there is no obvious counterpart in the movie. Universal and the producers were probably wary of a possible lawsuit by the real life Edward Lansdale. When the book was published in 1958, he was the former but recent head of the Saigon military mission...and by the time of the movie in 1963, a now Major General on the verge of his formal retirement. In the JFK White house of 1961-63, Lansdale was the Pentagon's senior representative for special operations and sat in on the weekly meetings for "Operation Mongoose", with among others, Bobby Kennedy. This being the top secret effort to assassinate Fidel Castro. You wonder if the movie's character of "Deong" wasn't at least partly inspired by the real person Pham Xuan An, a corespondent for Time Magazine who was mentored by Lansdale in Saigon and who was later exposed as a North Vietnam spy!

9. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Yeah, I got mine from Amazon yesterday and retired my 2003 DVD to the trash heap.