What's new

The U.S. develops its own "Klingon Bird of Prey." (1 Viewer)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Side note - a friend is an aeronautical engineer for the US Navy, and he thinks this is too similar to the upcoming unmanned drones under development. The "cockpit" seems added on as an afterthought, probably for some testing purpose. The new F-22 appears to be the last manned fighter under development, the rest are combat drones.

From CNN: The U.S. fired a Hellfire missile from an unmanned drone to kill six suspected al Qaeda members in Yemen.

Welcome to the future.... Why put pilots at risk when an unmanned plane can outmaneuver SAMs and AAMs ?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I like the idea of being in an aircraft, though. Not being logical here.

The F-22 won't be the last serious manned fighter airplane, I don't think. Though UAVs are mighty slick.

Yes, it appears a UAV (or the person at the souped-up "remote") was the cuplable party in this interesting development costing the lives of suspected terrorists.

Chris Derby

Second Unit
Off topic, but what the hell, it's a repost. :D
I find it quite interesting that everywhere that this event has been reported, the US is basically taking credit for firing a missle at "suspected" terrorists.
You'd think we woulda made sure...

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Um, this is called "spin," Chris. It's a little game of international payback. You say what you have to say and quietly go back to the business of war.

Chris Derby

Second Unit

I understand that. I just don't think thats quite the way I would have spun it right now.

Its not so much that we did it. Nobody really knew what happened to the car until we said "we fired a missle at it".

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
damn it! we're the "bad guys"? I hated the Klingons (in the JT Kirk era, natch)! Why couldn't we have developed something the good guys use? Like phasers you could set to stun?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
A timely topic indeed, Jack, considering the CIA assassination via unmanned aircraft yesterday.

This is only an observation of an occurrence, not a judgment one way or the other.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
can anyone name the last dogfight between combat aircraft? i mean an old-fashioned, fighter against fighter dogfight? i would bet it hasn't happened in a looonnngg time...

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The Falkland War comes to mind. And there have been occasional skirmishes since. Today's fighters are working within the framework of a long-distance kill-what-you-can't-see-with-your-eyes doctrine.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i like the idea of unmanned craft(s). why put a human life to risk if you don't have to?

i'm sure there will always be a need for a human in the pilot seat, but this is a technology worth checking out.

did anyone catch the recent special on tdc (or tlc) about stealth technogy. pretty interesting...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks