What's new

The Twilight Zone (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Ockeghem said:
I watched A Game of Pool, Steel, and Walking Distance last night. And then I watched Walking Distance again with my children tonight as I knew they would love that one. What a wonderful episode. I loved the music, and while watching it I thought that the compositional style sounded a lot like my favorite composer of film music (Bernard Herrmann). It had the characteristic string work and harmonic vocabulary that I am so fond of in his music. So I was pleased when I found out that he did in fact write the music I was hearing in the episode.

There are some interesting moments during the last third or so of Walking Distance when Martin Sloan (Gig Young) is approaching a merry-go-round. The camera work was compelling in that there was a severe tilt (in both directions) as Martin sees himself (as an eleven year-old boy) get injured running away from himself. (He then feels this injury as his adult self as well and we learn that this is how he got the limp he now has as an adult.) I don't think I've seen such a pronounced tilt since some episodes of Batman.

Other moments from the episode that are enchanting are the soda fountain (in both 1934 and 1959), the rock 'n roll we hear as we find ourselves back in the present day, and the moment adult Martin realizes what has happened when a young boy tells him that he has a brand new 1934 automobile (out of Detroit). It was neat too seeing a very young Ron Howard as the little boy playing marbles.
Why is at after 50+ years that you can pop in the Twilight Zone and still be floored with the episodes. Very few shows hold to very long periods of time like Twilight Show. The only other show that has the same interest to me after nearly 50 years is Star Trek!!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
jimmyjet said:
i think any show that reveals the human condition is lasting - we simply dont change much.
Your comment is banged on!! I tried to get my significant other into the show, but she found it was out there in terms of plots. I suggest to my gal that you need to have an open mind as such you need to sit back and just watched.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ I can't really argue with that but I guess the spookiness of Come Wander With Me has grown on me because I kinda like that episode now. The same thing for The Fear which isn't a particularly good episode but I dig it.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. I have TZ Seasons 1,2 and 3 on Image Blu-rays. Haven't gotten around yet to Seasons 4 and 5 but hopefully this Christmas, I can complete the collection.

And yes, I'm very much floored by these original TZ episodes (I was a baby/toddler when they first aired). Particularily by episodes The Hitchhiker and Two.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
bewitchin' pool - the message was good

i dont which to blame, the script making the actors poor, the actors making the script poor, or both were terrible ??

there was no rod serling message at the end, so they must have known this was the end.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
moviebuff75 said:
I showed "The Hitch-Hiker" as the pre-show last night at my backyard theater. The feature was "The Conjuring."
attachicon.gif
preshow.jpg
So cool to have such a theater, but two questions: 1. What do you have for seating and projection equipment? 2. Are there mosquitos in Indiana?

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
1. Projection equipment: We project in HD. 3D as well. People bring their own chairs.
2. Yes, there are mosquitos, but we keep them at bay with various tiki torches, etc.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
gosh, this is what is so nice about having our stuff on dvd.

we are completely in control of what and when we watch.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Oh and I still have the defective disk in the Season 1 set (which I'm still hoping my newer Blu player can handle). Is it too late to send for a replacement? And if not, can anyone provide a link to where it needs to go (Image Entertainment)? Thanks in advance.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What's wrong with the disc? It's been a while but when I watched all the episodes earlier this year and last I don't recall having any problems.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Josh Steinberg said:
What's wrong with the disc? It's been a while but when I watched all the episodes earlier this year and last I don't recall having any problems.
Some copies froze during Long Live Walter Jameson and to a lesser degree, there was freezing on The Big Tall Wish as well.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
TravisR said:
Some copies froze during Long Live Walter Jameson and to a lesser degree, there was freezing on The Big Tall Wish as well.
Thanks Travis! - ill try to remember to keep an eye out for that next time I cycle through the set.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Josh Steinberg said:
Thanks Travis! - ill try to remember to keep an eye out for that next time I cycle through the set.
When I got a new player, I made sure to watch those two episodes again just to make sure that the disc still worked for me.

Kyrsten Brad said:
Oh and I still have the defective disk in the Season 1 set (which I'm still hoping my newer Blu player can handle). Is it too late to send for a replacement? And if not, can anyone provide a link to where it needs to go (Image Entertainment)? Thanks in advance.
I'd go to Image Entertainment's site and see if they have contact info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks