What's new

The Twilight Zone Season 4 and 5 (1 Viewer)

Mike*SC

Second Unit

Jeff#, you're making a aesthetic judgment here, and that's fine. What it isn't is the definition of whether something is in High Def or not. You stated earlier "There's no way to enhance those old shows any more than they already are." That is not true. You stated that an old show could not be mastered in High Def. That is not true, if it was shot on film, and remains on film. It's that simple.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

That isn't the same thing you said before. You first questioned that the shows could be put in HD at all, then claimed they couldn't look any better in HD than they already do in SD. This has been demonstrated to be not the case.

BTW, the grain structure of 35mm film, its "resolution", if you will, is far and above that of HD. When the next improvement of digital technology comes along, old film-sourced movies and programs will enjoy yet another improvement in home theater presentation.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I was adding to my previous comments, Jay, but not contradicting them. I don't claim to be a home theatre authority, and right now I don't even have that kind of elaborate setup at home.

I'm just saying that a modern production with today's HD technology filmed in the HD process will beat anything made before such a technology existed. There's only so much that can be done to older productions, but decades-old material can't beat the image quality of anything made in this century. Although the writing and acting on these old shows are frequently superior. ;)

Audio tracks are much easier to replace though.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I took a look at "Nick of Time" on this new DVD S2 set last night on a new HDTV plasma screen I got for X-Mas. Wow, it looks so good! It will be fun to watch the rest of the TZ DVD's now. On a side note, I also had a look at an episode of Star Trek right after, there's so much detail that I can see now on these new TZ and ST discs on this display.

I can understand those who say they can't see how much better these shows will look once in HD. I can see the hairs on Shatner's head and make-up on Nimoy's eye brows. But there must be an order of resolution we just arn't aware of that we'll be able to see on HD. I can imagine it's like seeing a high quality glossy photo head shot of your favorite actor. The details are so clear compared to a reprint that losses some detail.

But I wonder how they will deal with the aspect ratio issue. I am more aware now that I have a 16:9 display. I use zoom to watch these shows during the TV's break-in. It's more fun to watch this way, but I know I'm losing some image on top and below. I guess they did this with the Kung Fu series.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
To get back on topic, usually I would buy Twilight Zone releases right away -- often in the same week they come out.

But since I already have the first 4 years, and I've spent so much on TZ and other DVD releases of old TV series this year (most recently a modern one -- Buffy the Vampire Slayer) I need to cut down on spending for a while! :)

I'll get the last season of Twilight Zone in February.

ToddF

Agent
Real Name
Todd Fredericks

Jeff,

I seriously doubt that a "modern" production with HD technology would come anywhere close to something like 'Lawrence of Arabia' (well over 40 years old!). HD's current resolution is miles behind it. Just because something is "new" doesn't equally equate as being "better". Today's world seems to be more about finding cheaper ways to accomplish things than were done in the past because no one is prepared to spend the money (in today's value compared to old) or the money is just not there. HD is a cost-prohibitive format in many ways. I'm sure a lot of producers would love (and dream) to shoot their projects in the higher definition (more expensive) film stocks yet they just can't because of the cost. Look at 'Star Wars: Episode III' and compare that to most "filmed" movies in terms of image quality. Is it better or not? I say the latter......

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I'll get Season 5 whenever I can find it! :D Well, for a reasonable price, that is. So far I've only spotted it at Best Buy, but their $87.99 is just too much, especially right after Christmas. I'll keep checking CostCo and Fry's Electronics with my fingers perpetually crossed...

Funny, I've been thinking back over the past 20 years, and marveling at how many times I've collected The Twilight Zone on home video.

First, I videotaped the series in the 80's. A local station started airing the half-hour episodes six nights a week, with an hour-long episode shown on Saturdays. I eagerly began spending my allowance money (I was 12 or 13) on blank VHS tapes and recorded it every single night. Every now and then I’d miss an episode due to a variety of problems (a stray power outage, for example, or setting the VCR to record at 11:00 AM instead of PM), but I steamed ahead undaunted, fairly sure that they’d show every episode at least twice. After a couple of years I had 151 episodes recorded, which represented the entire syndication package. Five episodes eluded me, however (the five non-syndicated episodes, otherwise known as “The Lost Five”). Much to my delight, three of these rare gems were aired as part of a Silver Anniversary Special around 1987 or so. I then stumbled upon the fourth non-syndicated episode (“An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge”) on a public domain tape in a clearance bin at a music store. A few years later (1992 to be precise: I remember because it was shortly after the birth of my daughter), I triumphantly finished the collection with the purchase of the two-tape “Treasures of The Twilight Zone” VHS set, which provided the final missing episode (“The Encounter”).

Next, I bought the entire series on VHS from Columbia House, to replace the hacked-up syndicated versions I had already collected. 42 purchases later, I had the entire series, complete and uncut, which meant I could set aside my home recordings. I believed that this would be the final time I'd ever collect the series.

Next, I bought the entire series on DVD, a single disc at a time. I didn't hesitate because of the leap in quality from VHS to DVD. 45 purchases later, I had the entire series in digital form and could get sell off my Columbia House tapes (which I did, a few at a time). Better yet, the slimmer DVD cases took up much less room. I firmly believed that this would be the final time I'd ever collect the series.

Then, in December of last year, the first of the five Definitive DVD sets was released. Naturally, I snapped it up, especially given the tremendous leap in quality from the previous DVDs, which were sold off on eBay for a decent sum. An added bonus is the minimal shelf space these sets take up. My impending purchase of Season 5 will mark the fourth time I've collected the series in its entirety.

The reason I'm thinking about all this? Because last night in my garage, digging through boxes, I discovered my original VHS home recordings. I thought they were long gone (in fact, I have a vague memory of throwing the entire box into a dumpster with a sort of manic glee, but I guess I must've dreamed it or something). I sifted through them, studying the crude hand-written episode titles on colored paper scotch-taped to each tape sleeve. I remembered fondly the excitement I felt every time I finished one tape and started a new one. I recalled the thrill I experienced when I finally recorded “Eye of the Beholder” after missing it the first time around. I basked in the glow of a time long past, when my responsibilities consisted solely of doing my homework and getting my chores done, when The Twilight Zone was my daily ticket to mystery, to terror, to paradox, to fascinating realms of wonder and imagination. Touching those tattered, clunky tapes was like touching my childhood. Tears welled up in my eyes. Tears are welling up in my eyes again, as I type these words.

This series has accompanied me through high school, through college, through a failed marriage, through fatherhood, through career changes, from adolescence to middle-age. It’s inextricably a part of who I am.

I purchased the first four Definitive sets eagerly, but for the most part they’ve sat on the shelf in my office. Since I tend toward obsessive compulsion, having them was paramount, but actually watching them hasn’t been a priority. Why haven’t I explored these sets? Why haven’t I set aside adequate time? Have I simply been too busy? Or have I been waiting till the collection is complete?

The collection is about to be complete. Again.

I fear I will sob like a baby, and my new wife will think I’m even crazier than she already believes me to be.

I hereby pledge, in writing, that I will watch these DVDs. I will make the time. I will, I will, I will.

I must.

Suddenly $87.99 at Best Buy sounds perfectly reasonable. And as it's nearing my lunch break, I think I'll drive on out there and complete this collection once and for all.

Well, until the HD editions are released, that is. :D

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I've been on the fence with the DEFINITIVE COLLECTION sets for a long time now because, quite frankly, they're insanely priced for these days. Also, I originally had other versions of the show on DVD and got a little tired or re-re-buying everything.

But yesterday I finally bought SEASON 3 with some Best Buy gift cards, and I definitely intend to get SEASON 1 and SEASON 2 as well.

I'd like to ask all of the TZ fans here what they think of SEASON 4? Aren't they all one-hour episodes, and how many of them are good? I was surprised to learn that SEASON 5 was the one where we go back to half hour episodes again, including "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" and "Living Doll" (among other goodies)... I didn't realize those eps were so late in the series.

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
Picked it up on or near release day; didn't have much to add to the discussion until now.

I'm in the camp of being delighted that the videotape episodes exist in direct-from tape transfers at all. You could be stuck with kinescopes...

for that's pretty much what I saw 25 years ago at Ithaca College. I wondered then if the tapes existed, was delighted to see direct transfers starting in the mid '80s, and am happy to have all six uncut (well, mostly) on a durable medium.

I've sampled bits of the S5 box (I'm still watching episodes from season 3; have to catch up), was delighted with the "Conversations with Serling" and other extras I've glimpsed.

In sum, the "definitive" tag is as accurate as a commercial enterprise of this type can be, and I was happy to double-dip on this series.

Craig, I didn't see your post above until after writing this. Eerily familiar; I was a fan before but from '78 or so to '81 saw all the Ithaca holdings; started taping on Beta when I got my machine in 1984, bought Columbia House (in Beta) as long as they released in that format. Also gathered a dozen or so 16mm prints discarded by TV stations. My last show seen/acquired was, of course, "The Encounter," from an airing in Canada. I've lost track of the number of x-dips I've done.

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
Season 4 episodes were all an hour. Because of the longer structure, most seem "stretched" to many fans, as if a half-hour's story was thinned out to 60 minutes - or padded; essentially the same incidents happening over and over again in acts 2 and 3.

That said, I have some favorites in this year: "In His Image," most of "Mute," "Jess-Belle," "Printer's Devil," "No Time Like The Past," "Passage On The Lady Anne." Also enjoy "The Bard" as an in-joke for TV industry insiders. Some others cited as fan favorites leave me a bit cold; I appreciate them but don't enjoy them as much. Same I know can be said for some of my choices versus other HTF members. A few are ones I "endure" - "The Thirty Fathom Grave," to me, falls victim to the faults I mentioned at the start. But it's next on the list to be viewed when I get into this box.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
In response to Joe's message post pertaining to the fourth season (1963) of THE TWILIGHT ZONE (CBS 1959-64) provided is a weblink to a spirited discussion that we had on that very topic:

The Twilight Zone - The Definitive Edition - Fourth Season (Click Here).

Our views tend to vary but speaking for myself I have no problem with this season and like it very much. Indeed I went through all 18 hour long segments very fast which attests to this fact.

THE TWILIGHT ZONE always maintained a certain level of quality and they were consistently well produced and cast so that there is always something of interest to be found in each season (regardless of just which may be each fan's personal favourite).

The fact that you mentioned using coupons to purchase your third season (1961-62) set does point out that they are on the pricey side and one can't be too careful in the selection of seasons.

Jeff T.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: even at its worst, The Twilight Zone was absolutely worthwhile. If the quality slipped a bit as the series went on, it only paled in comparison to itself (to paraphrase Marc Scott Zicree). I too have no particular qualms with the hour-long episodes, and I can't imagine anyone buying SOME of the Definitive sets and not all five.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone been able to pick up Season 5 at Costco? I looked a couple of days ago, but I didn't see it or any of the previous Seasons there. Odd as I picked up Season 2-4 there.

James@R

Second Unit

I often collect shows on dvd, then rarely watch them. There's just something about knowing you own the entire series. (I'm sure this is especially true for anyone who's ever attempted to preserve a show on videotape.)

But I recently got all five seasons of the Twilight Zone, and easily blasted through about 50 episodes within the first few days. It's surprising how quickly you can breeze through them.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure most people reading this thread already knows this but I just have to say that Image deserves a DVD medal for these sets. :) I haven't finished Season Five yet (I'm up to Night Call) but no series has ever been treated as well on DVD as TZ now has. Image even managed to one up themselves with the video interviews with some of the actors and writers on the last two sets. I'm sure it took alot of time, money, effort, and love on everyone's part but it really paid off.

ANYONE who even remotely enjoys The Twilight Zone should buy these sets. You just can't say enough good things about them!

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
To echo Nelson Au's question, has anyone found this at Costco? I looked when I was in Cincinnati over the holidays, but haven't looked here in Los Angeles. Weird for them to just arbitrarily stop carrying it after 4 seasons.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

I was thinking the same thing. Especially, since they were the cheapest for the set...$55. :frowning:

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I know my Costco only carried seasons 3 and 4. I think the price was more in the $58 area, but I could be wrong about that. I bought my copy of season 5 from DeepDiscountDVD. They had it for $66.50. So the price difference was not all that much after the sales tax I would have had to pay at Costco.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was calling around the last few days and finally found one copy of S5 at Fry's Electronics for $65.00.

Costco sometimes will only carry a few seasons of a show, unless it's a real hot show, that's what a friend has deduced. The Costco website does not even show it there anymore.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The Costco in my area only started carrying the TZ sets with Season Three and at the same time they started selling Seasons One and Two. In October, they had Season Four but they aren't carrying Season Five.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks