What's new

The Twilight Zone Season 4 and 5 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Anyone have a theory why TZ Season 5 Definitive Version isn't posted yet on Amazon (U.S.)? Interesting. I found it at other online stores but I usually buy from Amazon US.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Sorry about the typo. I meant S5 but I'm pretty certain that your link is for the earlier S5 release. The earlier TZ Season releases (before the "Definitive" Season releases) were not the re-mastered versions. I haven't seen (at Amazon US) a post page yet for TZ S5 "Definitive Version" release. Strange cause it's due out on 12/27.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
But I don't think there WAS an earlier S5 release. (Am I wrong?)

The first Twilight Zone DVDs were individually sold discs, each with 3 or 4 episodes from different seasons. There were around 45 volumes, which I bought for new for about $20 each. (I'm trying hard not to do that math...) They currently make up a shelf and a half of my DVD collection. I've been holding out for a complete set of the new season releases, hopefully at a discount, hopefully soon.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
You guys are all right; I'm the one that's :crazy: I got misled by the Amazon S5 posting since they omitted specifying the "Definitive" Version description in their headline post. The other Def Seasons all have that specified but not S5's page. Weird. I guess Amazon forgot to include that desc in the page. Sorry for the :confused: 'ion.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
So, does this set definitely include a remastered Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge? It would have been great if they could also have included the original French version without the Serling intro, etc.

How was the transfer of this on the Treasures of the TZ DVD?

Cheers, guys.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Well I'm glad that someone finally started a discussion thread on the impending THE TWILIGHT ZONE - THE DEFINITIVE SERIES, SEASON FIVE 6-disc box due out on December 27th, 2005.

The video transfer for TREASURES OF THE TWILIGHT ZONE edition of "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" (28/02/1964) was fine but unfortunately for that particular DVD issue the episode's release date was superimposed over the opening title credits which was unneccessary...and somewhat annoying!

But this version should be in even better condition with the mid-episode break bumper and next week preview also included.

Certainly something to (eagerly) look forward to!

Jeff T.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
JeffT., wrote: Nein! Are you serious? Those mid-episode logo breakers bother me quite a bit and certainly on Owl Creek, as it was never intended to have such a thing in it. The original French version should be included in this deluxe set, I feel. Or someone else should release it seperately. It isn't even available in France.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

I don't really like them either. However, I guess the argument would that the episodes (including Occurance) originally aired with the bumpers so the episdes have them on the DVD set.

As for having the original French version, I'd like to see that too but I guess Image wants to stick to how The Twilight Zone aired and not the original version of the short. In other words, they're doing a TZ DVD not an Occurance At Owl Creek Bridge DVD.

Back to the bumpers for a second, if I buy 24 (for example), I wouldn't want to see the bumpers saying "24 Brought To You By Nextel" in between the act breaks. That's how they aired though. :)

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Well "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" (28/02/1964) is identically structured as any other episode of THE TWILIGHT ZONE (CBS 1959-64) and how well it fits into the series format too.

Naturally the commercial break bumper and next week preview would have been featured and they won't detract from anyone's enjoyment of this extraordinary piece...indeed it should enhance it which is the point of a definitive series issue.

I only hope that most of the next week previews are (indeed) made available!

It's counterproductive to preclude the inclusion of such extras which are usually omitted from most run-of-the-mill tv syndication version DVD releases.

Jeff T.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if anyone can answer this question but when TZ was going to be a rerun, did they still run a promo for that episode eventhough it was a rerun? Or was it like the DVD and they just came right back to the end credits with no mention of next week's episode?

Personally, I find the promos for next week's episode to be less intrusive since they are shown after the story is over. Plus, it's fun to see Serling standing on the set of the episode in the earlier seasons.

Jeff, seeing that pic just reminded of how darn good Occurrence (and Season Five) is. :) I'm really looking forward to this set. There's some episodes that I really love like "In Praise Of Pip", "Nightmare At 20,000 Feet", "Living Doll", "You Drive", "Night Call", "Spur Of The Moment", "An Occurrence At Owl Creek Bridge",and "The Masks".

By the way, I think the date on the set has been officially bumped up a day to December 26. Although Amazon still lists it as December 27.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait for season 5...just for the fact that the two scariest Twilight Zone episodes are on it...."Living Doll" and "Night Call". "I'm Talking Tina and I am going to kill you!" :eek:

ps-Jeff isn't that picture kinda of a spoiler?

JeffT.

Deceased Member
The fifth year's (1963-64) shows have the reputation for being the series' weakest but it's difficult to dislike a season with such notable guest performers as William Shatner, Richard Basehart, Sir Cedric Hardwick, Telly Savalis, Jack Klugman, James Coburn, Robert Lansing, Joan Blondell, Wally Cox, Neville Brand, John Anderson, William Demerest, Hazel Court, Mickey Rooney, Patrick O'Neal, Mark Richman, George MacReady, Lee Marvin, Warren Oates, Don Gordon, John McGiver, Diana Hyland, George Takei, Edward Andrews, Richard Long, Mariette Hartley, Michael Constantine, Antoinette Bower, John Dehner, Martin Landau,Ed Wynn, Richard Deacon, Penny Singleton, Terry Becker, Sterling Holloway, Michael Forest, Billy Mumy...did I miss anyone?!

I remember this particular season far more so than any of the others (particularly the always engaging next week previews featuring Rod Serling) and at the time there always seemed to be something of interest explored to be found. Some (truly) fine examples have been mentioned by others in this discussion thread as proof of this.

Pertaining to the episodes aired in reruns the next week previews would be adjusted accordingly to accomodate the scheduled shows to be aired.

Jeff T.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I saw a copy of Season Five already on the shelf at a store today. Unfortunately, I'm waiting to grab it at Costco for about $30 less than the $87 that I saw it for today. Cruel fate, why do you mock me? :)

Anyway, maybe I missed this before but did anyone know that Disc Six of the S5 set has the 'Submitted For Your Approval' special on it? I was pleasantly surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks