What's new

The Twilight Time News and Info Thread (2 Viewers)

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
I didn't know that Duvall and Brando had worked together before The Godfather.

I want to say about 20 years ago, one of the New York tabloids had an article about Robert Duvall and his then-wife or girlfriend entering the NBC building, I believe, to participate in a tango contest (Duvall's famously a tango enthusiast) in the Rainbow Room. Building or restaurant employees were picketing out front; Duvall and companion passed the picket line. One of the union demonstrators yelled something to the effect of "Marlon Brando wouldn't like what you're doing!" To which an apparently slightly inebriated Duvall cheerily replied, "Marlon Brando is an a__hole!" :D

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
I pre-ordered Two for the Road (a film I have wanted since Blu-ray was launched), Comes a Horseman and Stanley & Iris.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Yeah, I was on the SA site at 3:59 p.m. and got THE MAD MAGICIAN. I am not sure why I feared it would be an instant sell-out, seeing as how 3D is a niche format...there may still be copies left in a month. But at least I got it, as well as TWO FOR THE ROAD. Now for the interminable wait for these to be belatedly shipped to me.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Yeah, I was on the SA site at 3:59 p.m. and got THE MAD MAGICIAN. I am not sure why I feared it would be an instant sell-out, seeing as how 3D is a niche format...there may still be copies left in a month. But at least I got it, as well as TWO FOR THE ROAD. Now for the interminable wait for these to be belatedly shipped to me.

I share (with you) the irrational fear that "The Mad Magician" plus "Spooks" & "Pardon My Backfire" could sell out, and I also want it in my hands as soon as possible --
Perhaps I'm as mad as the character Vincent Price portrays, or maybe I'm just as nutty as 3 certain people in the short films.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, I was on the SA site at 3:59 p.m. and got THE MAD MAGICIAN. I am not sure why I feared it would be an instant sell-out

I don't think TT has ever had an instant sellout in the way, say, a rock concert will sell out less than five minutes after going onsale. (Hopefully that streak will continue - I'm very happy when a TT title sells out after its release, but I hope it takes at least until street date so people have a chance to order.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I don't think TT has ever had an instant sellout in the way, say, a rock concert will sell out less than five minutes after going onsale. (Hopefully that streak will continue - I'm very happy when a TT title sells out after its release, but I hope it takes at least until street date so people have a chance to order.

Some of their horror titles sold out within 24 hours.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Some of their horror titles sold out within 24 hours.

Right, but like I said, that's not "rock concert" fast... that's not fast in the sense of "It sold out while I was still dialing the phone to order" or "it sold out before I could even enter my credit card info on the order page." Yes, 24 hours is fast, but it's still manageable if you know it's coming out.

I just hope that TT doesn't end up having sellouts in the manner I described above; I'd hate to miss out because my web browser loaded a fraction of a second slower than the other guy's. If I don't buy the disc after a day, a week, a month, or a year, that's on me, but if I'm there at the onsale time I sincerely hope to get a copy. So far, people who have done that haven't been burned.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
strike one more from that stack, Mad Magician / Stooges 3D instant purchase, Also Two for the Road, will be picking up some more off the "whish list" on payday

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I pre-ordered Two for the Road (a film I have wanted since Blu-ray was launched), .

I'm considering a blind buy, as I usually scarf all Audrey Hepburn. Does anyone want to take a shot at persuading me?

The two commentary tracks (Director Donen plus a new one by Redman and Kirgo are a strong point in favor).

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Jay, it appears that what you've written would be as persuasive as anything anyone else could tell you. Just sayin'.

I'm considering a blind buy, as I usually scarf all Audrey Hepburn. Does anyone want to take a shot at persuading me?

The two commentary tracks (Director Donen plus a new one by Redman and Kirgo are a strong point in favor).

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Add someone else that ordered THE MAD MAGICIAN at 3:59 pm

Number 1 right now but that's probably expected. I know Miss Sadie Thompson was number one for many weeks but it did not sell out.

mm.jpg

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I believe I was preparing to get the re-do of FRIGHT NIGHT and it was gone within hours. As Dennis Miller says, I could be wrong.

I bought Thunderbolt and Lightfoot by pre-order and it seemed to be gone upon release. That one stands out in my memory as a possible day one sellout.

Quatermass II

Second Unit
Real Name
John Hayes
I ordered Mad Magician, Barefoot Contessa, 3 Worlds Of Gulliver and U-Turn (in the earlier SAE sale), via my pal in NY. Looking forward to Edge Of Eternity, next month. Also have Bad Day At Black Rock from Warner Archive and 23 Paces To Baker Street from Kino on pre-order, so my Christmas will be in February this year, when they all finally arrive!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks