What's new

The Twilight Time News and Info Thread (2 Viewers)

BPullen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bruce Pullen
By "passing fancy", I'm roundabout expressing it may go quickly. I hope so for TT's sake. I want to support them any way I can. This is a no-brainer Christmas gift for those I didn't purchase it for the first time.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
The earlier idea of a Tyrone Power box is especially enticing. I'd buy such a thing in second, too, with whatever titles TT could get the rights to.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
The earlier idea of a Tyrone Power box is especially enticing. I'd buy such a thing in second, too, with whatever titles TT could get the rights to.

Glad to read of some other fans of Tyrone Power. His first big role, in Lloyd's of London, was actually meant to feature Don Ameche, who was then a big star. But director Henry King saw a spark of something special in Power, and asked Zanuck to do a screen test of him. Zanuck said something to the effect of: sure, you can do a test if you want, Henry. But it seemed clear he was just humoring his powerful director and had not thought of hiring Power for such an crucial big-budget production. But Henry King replied that he wouldn't do a screen test of Power unless Zanuck would take it seriously, really look at it, and consider him for the role. Zanuck was taken aback, but said, yes, I'll take it seriously.

Henry King did the test, and then screened it in the studio theater for Zanuck and his posse of about half a dozen aides. It was a good test, but Zanuck held his cards close to his vest, and asked his people for their opinions. Every single one of them wanted Don Ameche, even though some admitted the test was good.

Then Zanuck asked King what he thought. King said something like: I think there's a good chance that this movie, if you cast him in it, will make Tyrone Power into one of the top stars in Hollywood.

Zanuck was taken aback again. He said he'd think about it and get back to King. Ultimately, Zanuck trusted King and Power to get the job done—and so that's how the career of Tyrone Power was launched. The movie was a big gamble but an equally big success, and Zanuck put Power in many of Fox's big movies after that for the next six years.

Got this story from a biography of Powers that I read a while ago. I think it's called Tyrone Power: The Last Idol, by Fred Guiles. It was published in 1979, but I think is still considered the best book on him. I don't remember if I mentioned this story before. Apologies if I did. And sorry if my many posts today were too many. I'm home sick today....

Below is the trailer for the movie:

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Watched Garden of Evil today for the first time and enjoyed it. Wonderful score by Bernard Herrmann, great CinemaScope camera work in Mexico by Milton Krasner. Excellent pq, stereo sound, plus Rita Moreno (in a very brief but attention-grabbing role), Susan Hayward, Richard Widmark, and the one and only Gary Cooper. As Julie Kirgo writes in her liner notes, "Cooper, distinctively spare and natural, is so iconic here it almost hurts; has there ever been a star so lean, both physically and temperamentally?" Well said. It was clear the screenplay by Frank Fenton was written very specifically for Cooper. By this time Cooper had already been a star for more than 25 years—and he still had another 6 years to go. A good Western, overall, and some elements—like the score, the images, and Coop—are definitely great. And I guess I'd add Widmark...

Garden+of+Evil.jpg

Last edited:

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Watched Garden of Evil today for the first time and enjoyed it. Wonderful score by Bernard Herrmann, great CinemaScope camera work in Mexico by Milton Krasner. Excellent pq, stereo sound, plus Rita Moreno (in a very brief but attention-grabbing role), Susan Hayward, Richard Widmark, and the one and only Gary Cooper. As Julie Kirgo writes in her liner notes, "Cooper, distinctively spare and natural, is so iconic here it almost hurts; has there ever been a star so learn, both physically and temperamentally?" Well said. It was clear the screenplay by Frank Fenton was written very specifically for Cooper. By this time Cooper had already been a star for more than 25 years—and he still had another 6 years to go. A good Western, overall, and some elements—like the score, the images, and Coop—are definitely great. And I guess I'd add Widmark...

Garden+of+Evil.jpg
Went ahead and purchased Garden of Evil based on your review. Love Westerns. Also included Cat Ballou in the buy.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte from 1964 sounds interesting. TT is releasing this movie, which stars Bette Davis, Olivia de Havilland, Joseph Cotten, Agnes Morehead, etc. on October 11th. It gets a high 7.7 rating on imdb.

1b9b1613c4da010d16da0c64e23985bb.jpg

This is probably a good time as it can also be a nice reference with the upcoming TV limited series FEUD. Starring Susan Sarandon as Bette Davis, Catherine-Zeta Hones as Olivia Dehavilland, and Alfred Molina as Robert Aldrich. It's about the rivalry between Davis and Joan Crawford (Jessica Lange). Although Crawford isn't in "HUSH...HUSH", it is sure to be a part of the series.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
This is probably a good time as it can also be a nice reference with the upcoming TV limited series FEUD. Starring Susan Sarandon as Bette Davis, Catherine-Zeta Hones as Olivia Dehavilland, and Alfred Molina as Robert Aldrich. It's about the rivalry between Davis and Joan Crawford (Jessica Lange). Although Crawford isn't in "HUSH...HUSH", it is sure to be a part of the series.

also a good time to mention whom will be airing that Feud.

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Although Crawford isn't in "HUSH...HUSH",

Too bad TT didn't include the BACKSTORY episode on HUSH, HUSH. I think it's a Fox-owned program, but there must be some other rights issues. Fox didn't even include it on the DVDs.....

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
also a good time to mention whom will be airing that Feud.

It's from Ryan Murphy of "American Horror Story" so I am assuming it would be on the same network...FX. Supposed to premiere sometime this year.

@J. Casey Since it's a Fox network, I wonder if they might show BACKSTORY as some type of promotional special. Would love it if they did. If not, maybe when the series hits Blu-Ray.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Has anyone else here seen The Member of the Wedding, which is a TT release? This is an adaptation of the Broadway play, written by Carson McCullers, and starring the original Broadway cast of Julie Harris, Ethel Waters, and Brandon DeWile. It was produced by Stanley Kramer and directed by Fred Zinnemann (High Noon). About a week since I watched it but I'm still processing it....

Poster%20-%20Member%20of%20the%20Wedding,%20The_05.jpg

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Although Crawford isn't in "HUSH...HUSH",

Too bad TT didn't include the BACKSTORY episode on HUSH, HUSH. I think it's a Fox-owned program, but there must be some other rights issues. Fox didn't even include it on the DVDs.....
The "You Must Remember This" podcast just concluded a 6 episode season on Joan Crawford that details the backstory on both "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" and "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte." It's worth a listen.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
The "You Must Remember This" podcast just concluded a 6 episode season on Joan Crawford that details the backstory on both "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" and "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte." It's worth a listen.

By any chance can you post a link?++

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
RMajidi: Yes, my son and daughter do sometimes like classic movies, and even musicals. But as they've gotten older it's become a tougher sell. Part of it is that we've had a few duds that I told them were classics, and now they understandably question my judgment lol!
Here's your "out" on that stigma, Dad...
Ask them how many contemporary films they've gone to in which ALL were good.
And then, pose this question.
Are they planning to never go to the movies, ever again, because of a few "newly" released films that didn't quite hit it out of the park?
The same applies to "a classic".
Be they "classic" books; "classic" albums; or "classic" works of art, not everyone will - across the board - agree on all.
But a "classic" has a much better shot of being warmed up to, than the majority of contemporary works.
Hell, not every episode of one's favorite television series are winners, either; but we stay with show, right?
This is where personal tastes begin to develop.
And that's a good thing, too.:cheers:

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Wonder if it's too late to wish for a Christmas surprise, perhaps Barabbas, Story of Ruth, Salome or Francis of Assisi. Of course, nobody's surprised I'd bring these up.

TT has already announced their slate for Dec. 13th, which includes: Stardust Memories, Nicholas Nickleby, The Barefoot Contessa, The Keys of the Kingdom, and The 3 Worlds of Gulliver. So a December surprise seems highly unlikely. But since they seem to be releasing titles monthly now, perhaps a January surprise is possible?

Future TT titles that apparently have been mentioned, but have yet been been given a release date, include: Fallen Agnel, Whirlpool, The Mad Magician, Peyton Place, The Quiller Memorandum, The Chairman, etc....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Twilight_Time_releases

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks