What's new

The Twilight Time News and Info Thread (3 Viewers)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
As often happens without any real notice
MANHATTAN MURDER MYSTERY (1993) OLD OUT at SAE /OOP

Doh! That's a real bummer as I was debating on ordering it for a while and thought it wouldn't sell out so suddenly w/out warning... Zelig had been listed "low quantity" for so long w/out getting noticeably closer to selling out (and I did order that last time)...

_Man_

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Do you know how many Seven-Ups are left?

Not other very general idea -- if I had to guess in the 100+ area

This is the last email sent from SAE from 5/13. I updated it based on the last week and the 8 sell out off the list.
Gun Fury 3D should have been on it, but I think it sold out a little earlier than Inferno so it was removed
and
To Sir With Love and Strange Invaders also sold out about the same time
Note than Manhattan Mystery wasn't even on this email, but I wouldn't presume many of the Woody Allen's have a large stock

ALAMO BAY (1985 - LOW QUANTITY
ALEXANDER THE GREAT (1956) - LOW QUANTITY
AMERICAN BUFFALO (1996) - LOW QUANTITY
ANASTASIA (1956) - LOW QUANTITY
APPASSIONATA (1974) - LOW QUANTITY
BORN FREE (1966) - LOW QUANTITY
BOXCAR BERTHA (1972) - LOW QUANTITY SOLD OUT
BRUTAL TALES OF CHIVALRY (AKA SHOWA ZANKYO-DEN / REGION A ONLY / 1965) - LOW QUANTITY
CHATO'S LAND (1972) - LOW QUANTITY
CUTTER'S WAY (1981) - LOW QUANTITY
EDGE OF ETERNITY (1959) - LOW QUANTITY
EXODUS (1960) - LOW QUANTITY
GRAN BOLLITO (BLACK JOURNAL / 1977) - LOW QUANTITY
INFERNO 3D/2D (1953) - LOW QUANTITY SOLD OUT
JULIA (1977) - LOW QUANTITY
MOSCOW ON THE HUDSON (1984) - LOW QUANTITY
PEYTON PLACE (1957) - LOW QUANTITY SOLD OUT
SENSE AND SENSIBILITY (1995) - LOW QUANTITY SOLD OUT

THE BOSTON STRANGLER (1968) - LOW QUANTITY
THE BRIDGE AT REMAGEN (1969) - LOW QUANTITY
THE EMPEROR IN AUGUST (NIHON NO ICHIBAN NAGAI HI KETTEIBAN / 2015 - REGION A ONLY) - LOW QUANTITY
THE HAPPY ENDING (1969) - LOW QUANTITY
THE VALACHI PAPERS (1972) - LOW QUANTITY
THEATRE OF BLOOD (1973) -LOW QUANTITY SOLD OUT
TONY ROME / LADY IN CEMENT (1967 / 1968) - LOW QUANTITY
ZELIG (1983) - LOW QUANTITY

EYE OF THE NEEDLE (1981) - VERY LOW QUANTITY SOLD OUT
COWBOY (1958) - VERY LOW QUANTITY SOLD OUT
FLAMING STAR (1960) - VERY LOW QUANTITY SOLD OUT

I would also have an eye on any of the other items not listed here like MMM that sold out at TTM prior to the Clearance Sale starting since I suspect the stocks at SAE and TTM would fairly evenly distributed in March/April for most of these titles
LONG, HOT SUMMER, THE (1958)
GLORIA (1980)
HOT ROCK, THE (1972)
AUTO FOCUS (2002)
BLACK WIDOW (1987)
THE BRAVADOS (1958)
DOCTOR DOLITTLE (1967)
THE INCIDENT (1967)
PANIC IN NEEDLE PARK, THE (1971)
FOREVER AMBER (1947)
CRIMSON KIMONO, THE (1959)
HARLOCK SPACE PIRATE (2013 / 2 DISC / 2D AND 3D)
MODEL SHOP (1969)
SEVEN-UPS, THE (1973)
ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS (1986)
ANOTHER WOMAN (1988)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I got my new shipment from SAE today....

sae tt.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
What specifically does LOW QUANTITY mean from SAE? Anastasia has been listed as LOW QUANTITY since at least the start of their sale in March, but I was able to buy two of them, one in March and one last week, and it's not out of stock yet.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
What specifically does LOW QUANTITY mean from SAE? Anastasia has been listed as LOW QUANTITY since at least the start of their sale in March, but I was able to buy two of them, one in March and one last week, and it's not out of stock yet.

Yeah, I mentioned earlier the same about Zelig.

They actually also list some as "very low quantity", so one would think Anastasia or (especially) Zelig might at least drop to that by now... but who knows? They might suddenly sell out super quick like Manhattan Murder Mystery, which wasn't even "low quantity" an hour or so before suddenly selling out the other day, for all we know...

_Man_

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

It's debatable -- it could mean something like under 200 or 250 or it could be just a hook like the TTM Going Fast tab which had a couple items with 400-600+ titles at the beginning of the sale. I don't think it has a specific number, but quite a few of the LOW Quantity items have sold out in the last several weeks so I don't think it's random

The last email also had a VERY LOW QUANTITY and all 3 of those sold out fairly quickly -- many speculated VLQ may have been under 75

Even a couple of items not on the LQ list have sold out as well so I wouldn't take it to the bank if it's an item I want.
My general feeling was at the beginning of the sale that TT and SAE controlled roughly similar numbers of each title so anything that sold out at TTM prior to the CLEARANCE stage or those that had 100-200 or less copies in early May should be flagged,

These are the items that sold out at TTM before May 9 -- red items now SOLD OUT at SAE too
MANHATTAN MURDER MYSTERY (1993)
LONG, HOT SUMMER, THE (1958)
HOT ROCK, THE (1972)

STRANGE INVADERS (1983)
BRIDGE AT REMAGEN, THE (1969)
EXODUS (1960)
GLORIA (1980)
AUTO FOCUS (2002)
BLACK WIDOW (1987)
THE BRAVADOS (1958)
DOCTOR DOLITTLE (1967)
THE INCIDENT (1967)
PANIC IN NEEDLE PARK, THE (1971)
FOREVER AMBER (1947)
CRIMSON KIMONO, THE (1959)
EDGE OF ETERNITY (1959)
HARLOCK SPACE PIRATE (2013 / 2 DISC / 2D AND 3D)
MODEL SHOP (1969)

These are some of the low stock items on May 9 and number of items they had then-- red items now sold out at SAE, too
GUN FURY 3D / 2D (1953) 82
PEYTON PLACE (1957) 161
INFERNO 3D/2D (1953) 217
EYE OF THE NEEDLE (1981) 177

COWBOY (1958) 21

BRUTAL TALES OF CHIVALRY (1965) 3
SEVEN-UPS, THE (1973) 10
ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS (1986) 31
CUTTERS WAY 33
ANOTHER WOMAN (1988) 38
COMES A HORSEMAN (1978 / PLEASE SEE TRANSFER NOTE) 49
I WANT TO LIVE (1958) 50
ALEXANDER THE GREAT (1956) 52
NEW CENTURIONS, THE (1972) 67
STONE KILLER, THE (1973) 67
LAST HURRAH, THE (1958) 74
EVERYTHING YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT SEX* (1972) 82
EUREKA (1983) 87
GERONIMO: AN AMERICAN LEGEND (1993) 92
FROM NOON TILL THREE (1976) 96
VALACHI PAPERS, THE (1972) 106
INTERIORS (1978) 106
STANLEY & IRIS (1990) 118
GANG'S ALL HERE, THE (1943) 130
BORN FREE (1966) 134
MEMBER OF THE WEDDING, THE (1952) 136
HELL AND HIGH WATER (1954) 141
KEYS OF THE KINGDOM, THE (1944) 145
ALICE (1990) 149
A PRAYER FOR THE DYING (1987) 152
A MONTH IN THE COUNTRY (1987) 155
FROM THE TERRACE (1960) 169
UNDERWORLD U.S.A. (1961) 178
MY COUSIN RACHEL (1952) 186
PRETTY POISON (1968) 191
KID GALAHAD (1962) 194
EMPEROR IN AUGUST, THE (2015) 198

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Even a couple of items not on the LQ list have sold out as well so I wouldn't take it to the bank if it's an item I want.

As of right now, everything that I want is either in my possession or in the mail. But I just find this all very interesting in an academic curiosity sense, and of course I'm really glad to see TT having such a well-deserved success on their way out.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Think I'll probably see about getting whatever sells out (before I place my next order) via "digital" hopefully in some good sales now that I'm changing gears and willing to consider "digital" for some similar cases...

I do at least still have DVDs of the couple sold-out, desired Woody Allen flicks to hold me over for some time longer... though Crimes and Misdemeanors doesn't seem available at all on any digital platform...

_Man_

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
I think “disdain” is the wrong word. Filmmaking is a business, never more so than now when nearly every studio is owned by a giant conglomerate that runs more predictable businesses and want more predictable results. Heaven & Earth was a financial flop in theaters, did not do particularly well in its initial home video release, and has not found a wider audience in the decades since. I believe the more likely explanation is that there is relatively little demand for the film to begin with, and a brand new scan of the film elements and subsequent digital work would cost more than the film could reasonably be expected to gross. I don’t doubt that there are people at the studio that care about the art as much as or more than the commerce, but when you go down the checklist, this isn’t a film with business reasons to revisit. Its already available in HD, so when it comes down to it, the studio has a master they can pull off the shelf to satisfy the extremely limited demand for it. Considering the vast amount of titles they have that don’t even have that much ready, there’s little justification to revisit it over something else.
Stone has said it’s his least profitable film. Even Alexander made Back it’s money and did well overseas. And with all the reissues that one had, it did pretty well. Not so wit H and E.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Is Stone's power in Hollywood dwindling?
Very good question. He is at his best when he puts his passions into his films, but now he seems to be about being an “activist” although he says in Matt Zoller Seitz ‘s book on him that he is not an activist filmmaker, and he is a filmmaker and loves cinema. But he has changed. It’s not just about the movies anymore for him.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is anybody else having problems getting to Twilight Time's site. I'm trying to check to see the status of my order but all it get when I type www.twilightimemovies.com is:

This site can’t be reached
www.twilightimemovies.com’s server IP address could not be found.

I have no problem with any other sites.
I had no problems using the link below.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

Back a while, low-quantity alerts tended to be announced on TT's Facebook page after SAE had a sale. At that time, typically a title made the LQ list when it dropped to around 600 copies left.

Nowadays? It's kind of a crap shoot. There have been about a couple of dozen titles flagged as "low quantity" since the beginning of the year that are still available (one of them, Chato's Land, is even still available at TTM!)

Counter-intuitively, I think the increased frequency of sales has slowed purchases. It seems like two years ago, if a random TT release was sale-priced at $14.95, people would buy it in a snap. But when they were having their March Madness sale this year, I saw a lot of people (at blu-ray.com) saying something to the effect of "I've bought what I'm willing to pay $15 apiece for; there are other titles I still want to get, but I'm waiting until they drop lower in price".

As it is, even with this fire sale, sales seem to be plateauing somewhat. Titles aren't selling out, at either TTM or SAE, as fast as they have been for the last month. As David has said a number of times, once a title drops below 50 at SAE, it's only a matter of a couple of hours -- if not a few minutes -- before they are all gone. But the two titles that have dropped below 50 by 11 or so this morning, are still available as of this moment (four hours and change later) .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks