What's new

The Twilight Time News and Info Thread (1 Viewer)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
How could anybody interpret the original post Brad made as saying anything other than what it was - the word SELL being the operative and key word. No more releases for 2019 and they're trying to sell off existing stock. Make of that what you will. Julie won't be making any statements because she has not been treated well and has, for the time being, stepped completely away.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
You guys put my collection of 10 Twilight Time Blu-Ray's to shame.

Should've been more like 15, but I dragged my feet too many times early on and missed some I'd of loved to have gotten like Man Hunt. Was luckily able to get cheap European Blu-Ray's of all five, but I wish they were the Twilight Time versions (Except I suppose for The Song of Bernadette, which worked out since it got a big restoration and transfer after TT released their disc).

I wish it was many more since I love the Twilight Time releases that I own, but being a bigger fan of 30's and 40's Hollywood than more recent decades, the releases that caught my eye were sometimes a few months apart. But they were frequently movies I love though, so I was never complaining. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
How could anybody interpret the original post Brad made as saying anything other than what it was - the word SELL being the operative and key word. No more releases for 2019 and they're trying to sell off existing stock. Make of that what you will. Julie won't be making any statements because she has not been treated well and has, for the time being, stepped completely away.
Well, that's unfortunate as I think I speak for everybody here on the HTF in wishing her the best going forward.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My heart goes out to her, and to Brian and the rest of the team.

Nick’s passing is a huge loss.

Compounding that loss, I’d guess, is that many of the people that Nick had nurtured good business relationships with have been laid off/bought out/forced into early retirement by the spate of mergers and market forces.

At last check, the rep for Twilight Time mentioned a while back on one of the various platforms that they’re selling closer to 1500 than 3000 copies of many of their titles. To put that in context, Disney bought Fox in large part to have content that will help them in their goal to attract something like 100 million Disney+ subscribers over the next few years. They’ve laid off the Fox Home Video staff. In the context of trying to provide entertainment to 100 million people, worrying about disc licensing for things that may sell only 1000 copies seems like such a mismatch of business goals.

There are times this hobby makes me feel like a dinosaur and this is one of them.

But I cherish the TT releases I have and the care that went into making them, I’m honored to have been able to review nearly two years worth of their products, and recognize that their business model opened the floodgates for studio licensing that has benefitted all classic film collectors. I’ll be there to buy more if more comes. As far as final acts in storied careers go, that’s pretty impressive in my book.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sad if we're at the end, but even if no more titles are ever released by TT, they've been responsible for bringing hundreds of titles to blu-ray that likely never would have seen the light of day. Definitely a boon for collectors and cinephiles.
Cheers :cheers:

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
....Julie won't be making any statements because she has not been treated well ....

This is heartbreaking. Don't know if this means she was treated poorly personally or professionally or both, but given the quality of her work and her recent loss, this almost angers me. No matter what eventually happens to Twilight Time, I wish her all the best.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ive known for months that Julie wasn't with TT, but didnt say anything out of respect and her privacy but now that it's been openly discussed, yes it is a tragedy. TT even cut down the number of discs sent for reviewers to save money as well
As for Julie. those booklets are now collectors items !
Its been a rough year for her but I know she will pull through !
Always stay positive ! :)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The name “Twilight Time” was meant to evoke the end of physical media, and as I recall Nick Redman said at the time of its launch he only figured the label would last ten or so years. We’re here—sorrowfully without him. But if we are at the end we have a legacy of great discs (many still available) and fortunately physical media is soldiering on elsewhere for us collectors.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I moved the prior post from Julie Kirgo's appreciation thread to this one as I view it as more appropriate place considering Julie currently not being with Twilight Time.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Just got one small order in. Christmas presents, and other life expenses kicked my ass recently so I won't be getting any more titles this year. There are still roughly 30 movies I want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks