What's new

The Twilight Time News and Info Thread (3 Viewers)

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Just taken delivery of No Down Payment and Satan Never Sleeps. The trouble with restoring a movie like Satan is it shows up the back projection, and at the start of the movie you can actually see a fold in the painting of the landscape behind William Holden and France Nuyan.
No Down Payment is black and white and for the most part is very well done. It’s very much in the style of à Douglas Sirk dissection of American small town society, though Martin Ritt doesn’t have the outsiders eye Sirk brings to his movies, and goes after a few too many problems at once, alcoholism, unwanted pregnancy, infidelity, neighbourhood gossip, racism and as the title suggests hire purchase and buying on credit. But the film does have Joanne Woodward and Jeffrey Hunter, and a terrific ensemble cast. It should have been in colour, but never mind.

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I recently asked on TT's FB page if there was a chance for the 1939 film The Rains Came, and the answer was that it was unlikely. I've been holding off buying the streaming version of this movie in hopes of a blu-ray release, but maybe now I'll go ahead and pay the $10 for what is apparently an HD version of the film (and which I think is much better movie than the remake).

Reactions: PGB

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
I recently asked on TT's FB page if there was a chance for the 1939 film The Rains Came, and the answer was that it was unlikely. I've been holding off buying the streaming version of this movie in hopes of a blu-ray release, but maybe now I'll go ahead and pay the $10 for what is apparently an HD version of the film (and which I think is much better movie than the remake).

What a disappointment. I was hoping for a blu ray release of this classic and viewed TT as the best label to release it. I share your appreciated of The Rains Came and find the remake...The Rains of Ranchipor nearly unwatchable. I've recorded the TCM version and find it acceptable flaws and all.

Last edited:

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've been away for a time at a Northern NSW beach, away from Blu ray players, discs and anything else pertaining to our obsession.
But now that I'm back,. I've been able to check my 'Pal Joey' on Oppo Blu Ray player and it's flawless. That might be because it's a modern model .. the 203.
And because I was away, I was unable to join in on the discussion about whether it was useful or not to know that 'Bell Book and Candle'
had a gay subtext ... and what that subtext was! I was unaware of the subtext but worthwhile on the basis that all information is useful and can add to the enjoyment of the movie.
After all, how much more interesting it is to know for instance that Albee had a gay couple in mind when he wrote 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf'. I immediately remembered a week my wife Robyn and I spent in Italy with painter Geoffrey Smart and his Italian partner Hermes ... their dialogue was straight from Albee!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
After all, how much more interesting it is to know for instance that Albee had a gay couple in mind when he wrote 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf'.

That is something that Edward Albee consistently and firmly denied through out his lifetime and he nixed all requests by theater companies to have it performed by an all male cast. I stand to be corrected but I believe the Albee estate has continued to honor his request. I was once a member of a theater company that asked permission to do an all female version of Glengarry Glen Ross to which David Mamet gave the company a resound NO!

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I just watched a newly restored ( finally correct aspect ratio) blu ray of TENDER IS THE NIGHT that I bought in Paris a few days ago. It looks like a 4K restoration. Any chance this gorgeous transfer will be released by TT?

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
That is something that Edward Albee consistently and firmly denied through out his lifetime and he nixed all requests by theater companies to have it performed by an all male cast. I stand to be corrected but I believe the Albee estate has continued to honor his request. I was once a member of a theater company that asked permission to do an all female version of Glengarry Glen Ross to which David Mamet gave the company a resound NO!

FYI An all-female cast will hit Broadway in David Mamet’s Pulitzer Prize-winning play Glengarry Glen Ross next year under the direction of Chicago P.D. actress Amy Morton.
The new production will begin performances in May 2019, with cast, design team, a venue and exact dates to be announced. The producing team is headed by Jeffrey Richards, Will Trice, Rebecca Gold and Steve Traxler. Patti Lupone will play Levine.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I'd love a release of the little seen Gaby - A True Story (1987).
Ditto that. Can't find it available on DVD either. The same with DARK EYES, also from 1987. Both are Oscar winners or nominees. DARK EYES is available as a used Region 2 DVD, but
that's it.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
The Twilight Time 7 for $70 bundle still exists, and today I found seven more movies to buy from it—The Little House, The Fortune, Alexander the Great, Absolute Beginners, Theater of Blood, The Vanishing, and Count Yorga. I've only seen one of these movies before, the surreal musical Absolute Beginners, which I watched in college 33 years ago. Wow, time passes....

Like some of you I struggle sometimes with my blu-ray collection in terms of space, and also in terms of realistically which movies I'll actually watch again. But for me the deciding thing for these Twilight Time releases are the booklet essays by Julie Kirgo. I enjoy reading these essays, and for me they are maybe worth about ten bucks each by themselves.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to watching all seven of these movies sometime in the next year or so.

Last edited:

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
The Twilight Time 7 for $70 bundle still exists, and today I found seven more movies to buy from it—The Little House, The Fortune, Alexander the Great, Absolute Beginners, Theater of Blood, The Vanishing, and Count Yorga. I've only seen one of these movies before, the surreal musical Absolute Beginners, which I watched in college 33 years ago. Wow, time passes....

Like some of you I struggle sometimes with my blu-ray collection in terms of space, and also in terms of realistically which movies I'll actually watch again. But for me the deciding thing for these Twilight Time releases are the booklet essays by Julie Kirgo. I enjoy reading these essays, and for me they are maybe worth about ten bucks each by themselves.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to watching all seven of these movies sometime in the next year or so.

I have them all, save for Absolute Beginners. I think you’ll enjoy them all. Theatre of Blood is probably my favorite Vincent Price film.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero

The Little House: I've been cheerleading about this one for quite a while. The Vanishing is a pale remake (and a cop-out) of the original film. Sorry.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
The Little House: I've been cheerleading about this one for quite a while. The Vanishing is a pale remake (and a cop-out) of the original film. Sorry.

I'm maybe the only person who didn't like the ending of the original French film, which I saw about twenty years ago. I'm ashamed to say I'm ready for my "Hollywood ending" for this story.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I'm maybe the only person who didn't like the ending of the original French film, which I saw about twenty years ago. I'm ashamed to say I'm ready for my "Hollywood ending" for this story.
My wife suffers from claustrophobia. She saw the original film and shudders at the mention of the title. Enjoy your Hollywood ending!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks