What's new

The Twilight Time News and Info Thread (1 Viewer)

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Ipcress was with Universal theatrically and on VHS, so they may still have the rights.
Anchor Bay released a DVD in the U.S. with an audio commentary by editor Peter Hunt. No upgrade would be complete without it. He's one of the most entertaining filmmakers I've ever heard.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Has anyone noticed in STARDUST MEMORIES starting with the scene where Woody Allen meets his fans outside the film festival that there are a ton of video artifacts that continue on for several minutes and show up in later scenes.
That's film grain. Perfectly normal for the film stock that was used.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That's film grain. Perfectly normal for the film stock that was used.
Yeah, I recently figured this out as well. Watching a couple of TT titles (Edge of Eternity, Pony Soldier, Nicholas Nickleby) where reviewers raved about the video quality, but my screen seemed to be full of video "fuzz" or "noise", especially in bright colors or the blue sky. Finally discovered that this is apparently what people mean when they mention "grain." I'd never really been sure what that was supposed to look like.

I find it kind of distracting, but I guess there's little to be done about it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I recently figured this out as well. Watching a couple of TT titles (Edge of Eternity, Pony Soldier, Nicholas Nickleby) where reviewers raved about the video quality, but my screen seemed to be full of video "fuzz" or "noise", especially in bright colors or the blue sky. Finally discovered that this is apparently what people mean when they mention "grain." I'd never really been sure what that was supposed to look like.

I find it kind of distracting, but I guess there's little to be done about it.
Yeah, Pony Soldier had significant film grain while Edge of Eternity didn't bother me as much.

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
Has anyone noticed in STARDUST MEMORIES starting with the scene where Woody Allen meets his fans outside the film festival that there are a ton of video artifacts that continue on for several minutes and show up in later scenes.
Yes, I definitely noticed the artifacts to which you're referring. It looks like "mosquito noise" in that early scene with the fans at the film festival. It later shows up later when Woody Allen and Jessica Harper are in the abandoned building on the beach and are interrupted by an actress who used to work for Allen's character. I went so far as to ask Screen Archives Entertainment for a replacement disc, but the one they sent had the artifacts in the picture as well. It must've been a defect in the video transfer. Please feel free to write me back. Thanks.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Yes, I definitely noticed the artifacts to which you're referring. It looks like "mosquito noise" in that early scene with the fans at the film festival. It later shows up later when Woody Allen and Jessica Harper are in the abandoned building on the beach and are interrupted by an actress who used to work for Allen's character. I went so far as to ask Screen Archives Entertainment for a replacement disc, but the one they sent had the artifacts in the picture as well. It must've been a defect in the video transfer. Please feel free to write me back. Thanks.
Thanks for the reply. TWILIGHT TIME needs to recall this disc. The region two disc also has the defect.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Thanks to TT for the current sale! Already received my shipping notice yesterday, only one day after placing my order.

I ordered 4 films:
The Hospital - Until TT's recent release, I'd wondered if it would ever make it to Blu. Can't wait to see this film again.
From Noon Till Three - More fun Bronson on Blu courtesy of TT. Hope TT releases more of his work in 2018.
Runaway Train - Jon Voight, a train, and the crazy energy that is 80s Cannon Films. What's not to love?
Scorpio - This is basically a blind buy. I've only ever seen the trailer, but it looked like a fast-paced fun 70s spy film. I figured this sale would be a good opportunity to finally try it.

Once again, however, I resisted the temptation to blind buy purchase The World of Henry Orient. Even though it features Peter Sellers (and co-stars Angela Lansbury), everything I've read seems to indicate that the film's focus is less on Sellers and more on the annoying girls who dominate much of the trailer.

Orient aside, I look forward to receiving (and viewing) these 4 great additions to the Twilight Time segment of my film collection.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Twilight time says there is no defect and that it is film grain Are you kidding me!. Parts of this film look as bad as a video tape.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Scorpio - This is basically a blind buy. I've only ever seen the trailer, but it looked like a fast-paced fun 70s spy film. I figured this sale would be a good opportunity to finally try it.

I'm a spy-movie fan -- especially serious spy films -- so maybe I'm a bit biased, but I was thrilled when TT issued this and can vouch that this is a great disc with a wonderful commentary track.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks