What's new

The Twilight Time News and Info Thread (1 Viewer)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Yup. Miramax. Woody's film periods can be broken down as follows:
1969-71: ABC Films/Palomar (now Disney)
1972-80: United Artists (now MGM)
1982-91: Orion (now MGM)
1993-98: Miramax (now Lionsgate)
2000-05: DreamWorks Pictures
2007-15: Sony Pictures Classics
2016-present: Amazon Studios

There are a handful of one-offs ( What's Up Tiger Lily, Husbands and Wives, Deconstructing Harry, Sweet and Lowdown, etc.), and some titles during the SPC period with TWC. Generally speaking, your best chances for TT releases are probably with MGM, Sony and Fox-controlled titles. His ABC/Palomar films are currently being released by KLSC.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
If I ever check into a Shopaholic Rehab Center, I hope it'll be owned and operated by TT and SAE.;)
Thanks for the September sale, everyone!:thumbs-up-smiley:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm sitting here hoping for an early opinion on the Captain From Castile disc. Because it's a Fox film from 1947 (that troubled period) I won't buy until I'm assured that miracles have been achieved. It's a long film and the first half is much better than the second, so I'm interested only if the disc is really good.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
It's no secret that I really admire what Nick, Brian, and Julie have accomplished with TT over the past six years. Even though I've never met any of them and most of the membership hasn't either, we all have a kindred relationship due to our mutual love of classic films of all eras. Those in social media know that Nick has been openly discussing the health challenges he is facing.

My request of the membership is to please include Nick in your prayers for a full recovery and perhaps send words of encouragement via email, Facebook, etc.. He's currently at UCLA Medical Center receiving the best of care from not only the staff but Julie as well. I have no doubt that he'll be back at full strength soon; with someone as wonderful as Ms. K in his corner, there is no other option.

Get well soon, Nick! God Bless!

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
I would think the 65mm elements would be fine if they have been well looked after.
I would love The Last Valley to be released on BD or UHD as I love the John Barry score.

Disney will never do a 65mm transfer of THE LAST VALLEY. If it comes, like the recent KRAKATOA disc, it will be from 35mm elements and in mono sound.

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
Yup. Miramax. Woody's film periods can be broken down as follows:
1969-71: ABC Films/Palomar (now Disney)
1972-80: United Artists (now MGM)

Allen's 1971 film, BANANAS, was a United Artists release, so UA should start with 1971, not 1972

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I've enjoyed the fruit of Nick's efforts for many years of movie watching and collecting. I wish him a speedy return to full health, and nothing but the best until then.
I hadn't heard about Nick's health problems until just this morning. Of course I, too, add my best wishes for recovery. I am by choice not on social media at all and so do not know the nature of Mr. Redman's illness, but probably the best tribute I can pay him (short of an intrusive visit to his hospital room) would be to say that his co-commentaries with Julie and others even outside of the TT purview have been extraordinarily well-researched and intelligent, and are among the few I lie awake listening to even when I go to bed intending to use a commentary track to fall asleep by! I am not a religious man, and so prayers from me would be pretty empty, but not so my heartfelt hope that he has a future full of personal joy and professional gratification for many, many years to come.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Disney will never do a 65mm transfer of THE LAST VALLEY. If it comes, like the recent KRAKATOA disc, it will be from 35mm elements and in mono sound.

The studios should hire the 3D Film Archive to restore all their stereo sound films where only mono is available.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Dear Mr. Redman,

Upon this day and thread, I have learned of your hospitalization. HTF member Steve...O articulated it all far better than I, when describing our collective feelings towards you as that of being "kindred spirits".

As it is, my grateful awareness of Twilight Time began with your release of "Oliver!". I now no longer recall how I came to learn of its then upcoming November release, but the concept of being limited to 3,000 was new and beguiling to me. Believe it or not, there were great obstacles in my ordering of "Oliver!", as I was working overseas on a USNS vessel and feared that this childhood favorite would be sold-out within hours of its street date. With a 13 hour time difference between my locale and the United States; sans a laptop of my own; I had to barter with a shipmate to gain access to his. The mission? To capture "Oliver!" within the very Midnight minutes of its release date; synced to our American time. With said shipmate, we planned this out in advance by a good few days. This involved coordinating a 12-hour working day schedule, which carried with it our somewhat separate break times; as we were working on opposite ends of the ship. This turned into a logistic of sheer angst; as within those few precious minutes we were not able to gain a proper signal for his computer; despite our recent arrival in Port. Somehow, we managed to get the order in; but this was after many sporadic and on-the-sly attempts, which was spread throughout the day and included the close-call dodging of a superior. Weeks were to go by, before my return home to the states; but there it was, that coveted brown parcel sticking out within four months of backed up mail.

Now, get this, Mr. Redman. It turned out that I had accidentally ordered the UK version, instead. It turned out that the release date of the latest UK BD was somewhat similar; with somewhere an on-line descriptive text that boasted the 45th anniversary; and I fell for it all via Amazon, through no fault of their own. After all of that effort, my heart sank. Surely, these 3,000 copies had come and gone. Research ensued. Fortunately for me, the true TT of "Oliver!" had not sold out. And so it was; the mission that had begun some 10,000 nautical miles away on November 12th had found its stateside resolve through Screen Archives Entertainment on December 24th. My Christmas was fulfilled. Anyway, this is how my love affair with TT began; and its now some 79 titles later.

Indeed, there have been a goodly amount of cherished titles made possible by Twilight Time that I have since captured; but, were it not for the reviews of RAH and Matt Hough, I would have surely missed out on much, much more. They were my guide and compass; but TT was the well. I can not speak enough of how you, Julie and Brian have enriched, educated and expanded my knowledge of film. I had once believed that I knew everything about film. It turns out that I didn't. It was a mistake. The depths of my knowledge were being confused with the depths of my passion; a passion for film. And for this and all combined, I want to thank you for your many, many slices of humble pie; all of which were delicious and consumed quite gladly.

May good health and comfort return to you with speed.

Blessings,
Philip

Last edited:

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
I saw the "bonus features" for Dr. Doolittle today, and I'm quite disappointed that TT couldn't get any ignorant the deleted audio from Rex Harrison. :(
Hi Battlebeast -- could you clarify what it is you are referring to, please? Your post is a little confusing.

Reactions: PMF

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Dear HTF members ---

Just a quick note to thank you for the kind comments and messages of support regarding my health issues. I had posted from time to time on my FB page about my recent hospitalizations (I've had 2 major surgeries this year), but I am currently out and in recovery from the latest stint. About 5 or 6 months ago I was diagnosed with a very rare form of bone cancer, so a lot of my time recently has been taken up with treatments and related operations to stem the progress of the disease. We all have friends and family who have been victimized by this insidious illness known as cancer, and consequently know how laborious the battle is. More than ever it seems to be consuming the population with no signs of its march being slowed.

Owing to the unknown nature of the variation I apparently have, I will probably be in clinical trials at UCLA acting as a guinea pig testing some new immunotherapy techniques in the coming weeks and months. Where we'll end up - who knows?

As for Twilight Time, we have kept the trains running - averaging 4-5 releases per month. We have a full schedule planned through 2018 and into 2019, so, there are many more titles on the horizon. We have had to scale back on things like audio commentaries and other special features for obvious reasons, but we are not completely out of it - we have a few commentaries in the can yet to come, and have even found time to do a couple for other labels as well!

Twilight Time is a very small, private operation as most of you know - we are not a functioning company in the traditional sense with offices, employees, overhead, etc. TT is just WB legend Brian Jamieson and I, who fund the entire thing - and my partner Julie Kirgo, as well as former WB veteran Mike Finnegan who makes sure the trains arrive in the station. My long time pal and colleague Mike Matessino, audio maestro extraordinaire, takes care of the technical matters, and Jeff Jewett at West Entertainment handles the authoring. Paramount vet Louis Falzarano provides the graphic design. And that's it. TT in a nutshell.

We wouldn't be anything without you guys and your fantastic support. You've been with us since the beginning - and hopefully you'll be there at the end.

Prosit!

Nick Redman

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks