What's new

The Twilight Time News and Info Thread (1 Viewer)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I thought about it, but didn't buy Heaven Knows Mr. Allison during the recent sale--because it's available for "free" on Netflix, because it doesn't have a commentary track, and because when I saw it c. 25 years ago on American Movie Classics I felt mixed about the movie. But I finally watched it again yesterday on Netflix, and what a difference a quarter of a century makes. I really liked watching it last night, and found it both suspenseful and emotionally moving. Mitchum and Kerr do a wonderful job with what is admittedly a rather contrived situation. A big part of my lack of connection with the movie in the early 1990s was the curse of pan and scan. This movie, like almost all other CinemaScope movies, really needs widescreen to work. Anyway, a very good movie that too late I now wish that I'd picked up....But for those like me who missed it, check on Netflix.

1118full-heaven-knows%2C-mr.-allison-poster.jpg

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Sometimes when I want to avoid work, I waste time by making lists of my favorite films for a particular year. Today's time waster, since it's the year Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison came out, is 1957, which was a good year. Twilight Time has released 5 movies from 1957, 4 of which are favorites.

My favorites from 1957, more or less in order....
Bridge on the River Kwai
Wild Strawberries
12 Angry Men
Heaven Knows Mr. Allison (TT)
The Tin Star
Witness for the Prosecution
3:10 to Yuma
Sweet Smell of Success
Peyton Place (TT)
An Affair to Remember
The Enemy Below
Funny Face
Silk Stockings
Old Yeller
Paths of Glory
The Seventh Seal
Pal Joey (TT)
Island in the Sun
The Wayward Bus (TT)
Raintree County
The Three Faces of Eve
Saint Joan
The Mysterians
Gunfight at the O.K. Corral
Desk Set

I still haven’t seen several notable movies from 1957, including Sayonara, The Curse of Frankenstein, Edge of the City, A Face in the Crowd, Fear Strikes Out, Forty Guns, The Joker is Wild, The Tall T, Time Limit, April Love (also TT), etc.

PS I recently asked Twilight Time on their Facebook page is we could look forward to more movies from the 1930s and 40s, and they said yes. The 1950s seem like a sure bet as well.

Last edited:

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Waiting (anxiously) for the August preorders to go up.

I’ll be absolutely *shocked* if the Elvis offering, “Kid Galahad”, doesn’t sell out during the preorder phase.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Waiting (anxiously) for the August preorders to go up.

I’ll be absolutely *shocked* if the Elvis offering, “Kid Galahad”, doesn’t sell out during the preorder phase.
I think its been well over a year since any new TT release sold out in the first few months. Just a sign of the times for disc sales.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Jimbo64,

Thanks for the listings, but those aren’t Elvis films I’d be interested in.
I can see why they’re not sold out yet.

I still think “Kid Galahad” will sell out quick!

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Sometimes when I want to avoid work, I waste time by making lists of my favorite films for a particular year. Today's time waster, since it's the year Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison came out, is 1957, which was a good year. Twilight Time has released 5 movies from 1957, 4 of which are favorites.

Bridge on the River Kwai
Wild Strawberries
12 Angry Men
The Tin Star
Sweet Smell of Success
Peyton Place (TT)
An Affair to Remember
The Enemy Below
Funny Face
Silk Stockings
Old Yeller
Paths of Glory
The Seventh Seal
Pal Joey (TT)
Island in the Sun
The Wayward Bus (TT)
Raintree County
The Three Faces of Eve
Saint Joan
The Mysterians
Desk Set

I still haven’t seen several notable movies from 1957, including Sayonara, The Curse of Frankenstein, Edge of the City, A Face in the Crowd, Fear Strikes Out, Forty Guns, The Joker is Wild, The Tall T, Time Limit, April Love (also TT), etc.

PS I recently asked Twilight Time on their Facebook page is we could look forward to more movies from the 1930s and 40s, and they said yes. The 1950s seem like a sure bet as well.

That's a good year.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Jimbo64,

Unless you buy all 3000 copies, they will not quickly sell out. I plan on purchasing one but I suppose the initial number purchased on day one will be in 1000 units sold. The rest will sell out but over a many months and a couple of sales.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Unless you buy all 3000 copies, they will not quickly sell out. I plan on purchasing one but I suppose the initial number purchased on day one will be in 1000 units sold. The rest will sell out but over a many months and a couple of sales.
Correct they just aren't selling out of any titles anymore until they go through a couple sales. About 1,000 of these in the 1st month or so is about right. I plan to pick one up but will probably wait for the first time its on sale which will be anywhere from 6 months to a year after release.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Jimbo64,

Unless Elvis is battling zombies instead of boxers, it probably won't sell out too quickly. I'll be picking up a copy on day one, however.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben

Bridge on the River Kwai
Wild Strawberries
12 Angry Men
The Tin Star
Sweet Smell of Success
Peyton Place (TT)
An Affair to Remember
The Enemy Below
Funny Face
Silk Stockings
Old Yeller
Paths of Glory
The Seventh Seal
Pal Joey (TT)
Island in the Sun
The Wayward Bus (TT)
Raintree County
The Three Faces of Eve
Saint Joan
The Mysterians
Desk Set

Anyone else willing to share a list of favorite movies from 1957—showing where the Twilight Time titles rank? Next up, 1958.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks