What's new

The Twilight Time News and Info Thread (1 Viewer)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
This Balboa theatre?

Balboa-Theatre-Restored-Exterior-MG_5242-3a-e1317684202638.jpg

That is a very nice theater! But no, it wasn't that one, but instead the small movie theater on the Balboa peninsula in Newport Beach....

http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/news/tn-dpt-me-0413-balboa-theater-20160412-story.html

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Watched the 1964 movie Fate is the Hunter today. I liked it. Reminded me a little bit of a few episodes of The Twilight Zone, including "The Arrival" and "Number 22." Is it just a coincidence that this is also flight 22?

fate-is-the-hunter-original-uk-quad-1964-glenn-ford-rod-taylor-jane-russell--4483-p.jpg

I was puzzled by the look of the plane, having never seen one like that before—and here's why (from wikipedia):

"The "Consolidated Airways" jet aircraft used in the film was one of two fabricated from DC-7(B) donors, the second was used to create the crash scene (on the beach). The wings were reportedly removed and reversed, a Boeing 707 nose cone along with "supersonic spike" were also added in order to achieve the appearance of a modern jet airliner. Modifications to the rear section of the aircraft included the addition of two nacelles to accommodate the simulated jet engines. A rear-mounted Boeing 707 spike-styled HF antenna isolator, and antenna were also added to the tail section.[5]"

They made it into no aircraft you've ever seen for legal reasons. They were apparently worried Boeing might sue them if they used something like a 707.

Last edited:

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
When I was a kid and teenager, growing up South of LA, I lived pretty near a revival movie theater, now long closed, called the Balboa. Every week the Balboa would play 3 or so different movies—classics, B-movies, cult movies, forgotten movies of merit, and foreign films. They had these big sheets that they would hand out and/or mail to you that had their schedule, which you could put up as posters in your room or on your fridge, so that you could plan ahead what you might see. Even more than the old movies I saw on TV, this was the immersion that many people of my generation had into the wonderful world of the cinema beyond the current Hollywood hits. Before I could drive, my big sister's older friends would drive us there, sometimes almost every week. All of the movies at the Balboa, it seemed, had some passionate following from someone who worked there or from some of their customers. When 3D movies were long a dead form in the 1970s, for instance, this was where you could see some 3D movies from the 1950s. Anyway, watching some of my TT movies, I've been reminded of the Balboa, because it seems like the home version of the revival theater of old sometimes. And with the commentaries, and essays by Julie Kirgo, you get extra insights into the making of these movies, and what makes them compelling.

I remember knowing about the Balboa, though I don't think I was ever down there. But this very nicely describes what the Nuart and other L.A. revival houses meant to me in the 70s and 80s.

I so wish I had saved some of those flyers.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I enjoyed watching the Oscar-winning performance of Maggie Smith in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie today. As others here have said, this movie is not to be missed. Very good picture quality. Perceptive essay by Julie Kirgo. Audio commentaries by director and co-star Pamela Franklin as well...Just $14.95 during this sale. And I'll add that a lot of it was rather witty in a twisted way.

prime-of-miss-jean-brodie-cinema-quad-movie-poster-(1).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
The autobiographical novel on which the movie is based is by Muriel Spark. Her real teacher's name in a similar school was named Christina Kay, and she encouraged young Muriel to become a writer. Spark would later write of her: "What filled our minds with wonder and made Christina Kay so memorable was the personal drama and poetry within which everything in her classroom happened." Most of the novel was originally published in my favorite magazine, The New Yorker. Below is the cover of the first edition of the book, which I think has very nice art....

web-muriel-spark-b-9-5-17.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
As part of my Twilight Time marathon, I've now finally watched 1967's Hombre. I've seen large parts of this movie over the years on TV, but this was my first time to see it all the way through. As others have said, the picture quality on this blu-ray is outstanding, really showing off the cinematography of the legendary James Wong Howe. This is a sometimes grim and somber Western, but really well-done on all levels. It certainly seems like one of the best Westerns of the 1960s.

hombre_ver3_xlg.jpg

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Just finished Hombre last night - first time viewing. Highly recommended by me. It's known as a Newman film, but that does injustice to the other actors including the great Fredric March, Marty Balsam and Paladin

Kudos to TT's website for their quick fulfillment. I ordered 8 titles on Thursday and they arrived yesterday (Monday). Thanks to Nick and Brian for sponsoring the sale.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I haven't seen a notice or warning about it in e-mail or anything, but Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte has disappeared from the TT website.

It was listed as running low in their e-mail last week, so I would guess it's gone. Still available at SAE at this time, though. So consider yourself warned!

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
I haven't seen a notice or warning about it in e-mail or anything, but Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte has disappeared from the TT website.

It was listed as running low in their e-mail last week, so I would guess it's gone. Still available at SAE at this time, though. So consider yourself warned!

They don't keep as much stock in their own site and titles sell out quite a lot there. "Fate is the Hunter", "From the Terrace" and Titus" all sold out this week on their site as well.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I ordered mine today after seeing it disappear from TT's own site.

I had been meaning to pick it up since watching Feud and importing a non-digibook version of Baby Jane, and the low quantity alert and subsequent disappearance prompted a quick order.

Vintage Horror

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Shawn McCracken
Hope this hasn't been asked before... will Twilight be releasing the Elvis vehicle KID GALAHAD 1962 on blu? If so, when?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks