What's new

The Twilight Time News and Info Thread (2 Viewers)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Finally broke down and bought 9 to 5 (and a few others) I couldn't bring myself to spend too much on it as I "bought" the VHS version with boxtops from Kelloggs... <_< I sent about half as the sale price on the DVD ...

Now I can "do M & Ms!";)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I recommend Conrack, a poignant and yet often inspiring story starring the very young Jon Voight. Fine picture quality, nice score by John Williams, excellent audio commentary by Paul Seydor and Nick Redman, and, as always, perceptive essay by Julie Kirgo. Good direction by Martin Ritt (Hud, Hombre, Norma Rae, etc.). A bargain at $10 during this sale.

A1jDo0Ve%2BxL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Speaking of Conrack, I'm thinking about picking this one up before the end of the sale. I think I saw that it has a fairly low amount of copies left available (under 200) on the FB page. I remember watching this a long time ago in an anthropology class during my undergraduate studies. It must have been on VHS I guess. Great film.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I was paid today so I went ahead and got Conrack and House of Bamboo. I'll get paid again before the end of the sale so will probably pick up Young Lions and maybe 1 more. My wife is going to kill me although she might like Conrack (she teaches 1st grade).

I think most teachers will like Conrack. (I'm one myself.)

Hume Cronyn and Paul Winfield are also good in this movie.

Last edited:

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I think most teachers will like Conrack. (I'm one myself.)

Hume Cronyn and Paul Winfield are also good in this movie.

Conrack is my favourite blind buy, if we're speaking only of films.
I got it mostly for the John Williams score, but I was pleasantly surprised.
I just wished it included English subtitles!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I recommend Conrack, a poignant and yet often inspiring story starring the very young Jon Voight. Fine picture quality, nice score by John Williams, excellent audio commentary by Paul Seydor and Nick Redman, and, as always, perceptive essay by Julie Kirgo. Good direction by Martin Ritt (Hud, Hombre, Norma Rae, etc.). A bargain at $10 during this sale.

A1jDo0Ve%2BxL._SL1500_.jpg

I thought this would sell out in a few months time. It is such a good movie.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I'm considering right now getting a 7 for $70 bundle. Titles I haven't seen that I'm considering: The Believers, Che!, Follow That Dream, Save Your Legs, and When the Wind Blows.

Titles I've already seen that I'm thinking of getting as stocking stuffers: Conrack, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.

I own most of the rest, and have enjoyed almost all of them.

Also haven't seen Rite, Sue and Bob Too or Riff-Raff/Raining Stones, but grim British drama is not always my cup of tea.

Quatermass II

Second Unit
Real Name
John Hayes
Bought The Bridge At Remagen from the new releases and Garden Of Evil and Heaven Knows Mr. Allison from the sale. Will probably pick up Inferno 3D (for the extras not on my UK version) and Where The Sidewalk Ends before the sale ends. Very tempted by Hell And High Water, too!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Ended up getting another 7 for $70 bundle: Blind buys of Save Your Legs, When the Wind Blows, Che, Follow that Dream, and The Believers; Stocking stuffers of TT titles I already have--Conrack and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.

The bundle sale is still going on along with the Fox sale:

http://www1.screenarchives.com/bundles.cfm

Some of the movies that I'd recommend from the bundle titles I've seen (depending on your tastes) are....Audrey Rose, Beloved Infidel, Bonjour Tristesse, Conrack, The Eddy Duchin Story, The Front, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, Mindwarp, Mississippi Mermaid, The Only Game in Town, Royal Flash, and The Secret of Santa Vittoria.

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
When I was a kid and teenager, growing up South of LA, I lived pretty near a revival movie theater, now long closed, called the Balboa. Every week the Balboa would play 3 or so different movies—classics, B-movies, cult movies, forgotten movies of merit, and foreign films. They had these big sheets that they would hand out and/or mail to you that had their schedule, which you could put up as posters in your room or on your fridge, so that you could plan ahead what you might see. Even more than the old movies I saw on TV, this was the immersion that many people of my generation had into the wonderful world of the cinema beyond the current Hollywood hits. Before I could drive, my big sister's older friends would drive us there, sometimes almost every week. All of the movies at the Balboa, it seemed, had some passionate following from someone who worked there or from some of their customers. When 3D movies were long a dead form in the 1970s, for instance, this was where you could see some 3D movies from the 1950s. Anyway, watching some of my TT movies, I've been reminded of the Balboa, because it seems like the home version of the revival theater of old sometimes. And with the commentaries, and essays by Julie Kirgo, you get extra insights into the making of these movies, and what makes them compelling.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
We had a similar revival theater in Charlotte called the Visulite. They printed up those posters and one sheets with their monthly schedules, and I planned my leisure time around their screenings. Since none of the local channels in my area subscribed to expensive MGM movie syndication packages, my introduction to the MGM Marx Bros. movies, Judy Garland's musicals, Greta Garbo classics, Tracy-Hepburn team-ups, Greer Garson, Norma Shearer, and Thin Man movies happened there in their double features.

When home video on VHS took off, the Visulite closed its doors, but for much of the 1970s and 1980s, I was a longtime attendee.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ben:

Your post brought back good memories of going to revival houses in the early 80's.
I forgot about those calendar handouts!
I just did a quick search, and couldn't find one from the old theaters I went to, but found this example, which is from the 50's but is still very similar to the ones I remember:

785417cfc8de9915c7b3f4ce4c5679c9.jpg

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
When I was a kid and teenager, growing up South of LA, I lived pretty near a revival movie theater, now long closed, called the Balboa. Every week the Balboa would play 3 or so different movies—classics, B-movies, cult movies, forgotten movies of merit, and foreign films. They had these big sheets that they would hand out and/or mail to you that had their schedule, which you could put up as posters in your room or on your fridge, so that you could plan ahead what you might see. Even more than the old movies I saw on TV, this was the immersion that many people of my generation had into the wonderful world of the cinema beyond the current Hollywood hits. Before I could drive, my big sister's older friends would drive us there, sometimes almost every week. All of the movies at the Balboa, it seemed, had some passionate following from someone who worked there or from some of their customers. When 3D movies were long a dead form in the 1970s, for instance, this was where you could see some 3D movies from the 1950s. Anyway, watching some of my TT movies, I've been reminded of the Balboa, because it seems like the home version of the revival theater of old sometimes. And with the commentaries, and essays by Julie Kirgo, you get extra insights into the making of these movies, and what makes them compelling.

This Balboa theatre?

Balboa-Theatre-Restored-Exterior-MG_5242-3a-e1317684202638.jpg

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
We had a similar revival theater in Charlotte called the Visulite. They printed up those posters and one sheets with their monthly schedules, and I planned my leisure time around their screenings. Since none of the local channels in my area subscribed to expensive MGM movie syndication packages, my introduction to the MGM Marx Bros. movies, Judy Garland's musicals, Greta Garbo classics, Tracy-Hepburn team-ups, Greer Garson, Norma Shearer, and Thin Man movies happened there in their double features.

When home video on VHS took off, the Visulite closed its doors, but for much of the 1970s and 1980s, I was a longtime attendee.

Visulite is still open with live shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks