What's new

The "TV on DVD conference".... (1 Viewer)

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
... but I think it's unfair that if an artist has agreed to, and been paid to have their music in a TV show or film, that they can hold up or prevent the release of the material on other formats.
I think it's a common misconception that the artists are holding this up. The agreement that an artist signs is very specific about what usage is allowed. In cases like WKRP, the agreement was only for broadcast. The artists aren't going to the studios and saying "pay me, or you can't use my music." The studios have to go through the process of getting new agreements for every party that owns part of any song they want to use. As I stated earlier, even if the artists were willing to let the studios use their music for free (which they won't), the studio still needs to get every single party who owns part of a song to sign an agreement. This logistical process has got to be absolutely huge for shows like WKRP and Miami Vice.

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
OK call me a glutton for punishment, but who owns the rights to these and is there any word on them coming out?

Alfred Hitchcock Presents (the whole series)
Dragnet (not just the public domain episodes)
The A-Team

Zorro (yes I know Disney has the rights but any word?)

Still got my fingers crossed for Get Smart and Batman...but I think they'll be held up by rights issues for a long time
:frowning:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Universal is the A-Team, and I wouldn't be surprised if they own the others you named as well. After all, they put out a few episodes of AHP, and they announced a version of Dragnet on DVD about a year ago.

If Only we could see:

The Wonder Years
Dream On
Home Improvement.

I'd be a VERY happy man. Mind you, I still haven't completed my Next Gen sets yet, and I'm only up to season 3 on DS9 as well........

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I'd be a VERY happy man. Mind you, I still haven't completed my Next Gen sets yet, and I'm only up to season 3 on DS9 as well........>>

Same here on show announcments and TNG sets. I only have to get TNG 4, 6 and 7 to complete my set, and I havn't even started on DS9 yet wich would be all new to me minus half of season 6 and 7.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
I see that there is a lot of talk if there will be any other seasons of MTM on DVD. I say to everyone here, don't give up. There is always a chance that FOX might release the other seasons of MTM, it just depends if FOX thinks that they will make money.

I'll give you an example. The Tales from The Crypt movies which are Demon Knight & Bordello Of Blood were OOP for several years but both of these movies were re-issued on DVD by Universal on Oct 7,2003.

Don't give up hope. Fox might just release the other MTM seasons in the future just like how companies are reiussueing DVD's which have been OOP for years.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I'm also curious as to what the deal is with Malcolm. It's a popular show (made it to season 5, at any rate) and was reasonably priced. I can't imagine it not selling well.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I see that there is a lot of talk if there will be any other seasons of MTM on DVD. I say to everyone here, don't give up. There is always a chance that FOX might release the other seasons of MTM, it just depends if FOX thinks that they will make money.

I'll give you an example. The Tales from The Crypt movies which are Demon Knight & Bordello Of Blood were OOP for several years but both of these movies were re-issued on DVD by Universal on Oct 7,2003.

Don't give up hope. Fox might just release the other MTM seasons in the future just like how companies are reiussueing DVD's which have been OOP for years.
Very bad example, Eugene. This is a situation where Universal owned the 2 titles you mention, along with many others, and licensed them to Image because it was early in the DVD game at the time and they (Uni) didn't want to make their own DVDs yet. When they saw how lucrative it was, they terminated the license with Image (long story there) and, just as soon as the rights to all those titles fully reverted back to Universal, they started reissuing DVDs for them on their own label.

So we have a situation where Uni and Image have to share good profits on two films in a small DVD market, then Uni causes the titles to be unavailable for a time, then they reissue them on their own to a much larger DVD market and can keep 100% of the profits this time.

As opposed to MTMS, where according to all sources there were little or no profits to begin with.

As I said, bad example. I agree that hope should be given up, but the way to get a S2 release out is to convince Fox that it will be profitable. Period.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I agree that hope should be given up, but the way to get a S2 release out is to convince Fox that it will be profitable. Period.
I think you'll want a "not" between "should" and "be", right? (Or do you want to dash ALL my hopes of an eventual MTM-2 release?? :frowning:)

;)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
David VP:

It was a Freudian slip. You were right the first time; he does want you to abandon all hope. :)

Dave L:

When are we getting Dennis Leary's The Job already? ;)

Regards,

Joe

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
The Job is actually already on DVD. There were 2000 sets made for friends and family of the production company. If you check eBay you might be able to find a couple of copies. The video quality isn't the best (taken from a tape source) but there are extras on the set.

Gord

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Yeah, Gord, I know about that version. I'm looking for a commercial release sourced from the original film. :)

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks