International The Turin Horse / Satantango

Ernest

Supporting Actor
The Turin Horse and Satantango are two every different movies directed by Bella Tarr. The movies are shot in Black and White with very long scenes and little dialog, if any. The Turin Horse like Satantango is a simple story about very poor people living in difficult times. The homes they live in are very modest with no electricity or running water. The clothes they wear are worn to the thread. In the Truin Horse a man lives with his daughter who helps care for him. To earn a living he delivers goods for other farmers while having to come to grips his horse is dying. In Satantango farmers living together in a village deal with the effect of the fall of communism and money they are planning to divide amongst themselves. I really enjoyed watching both movies, no killings or super heroes and sex. They are certainly not for everyone but to me they offered a nice change of pace. The running times are 155 minutes for Turin Horse and 450 minutes for Satantango. The audio is Hungarian with English subtitles.

Attachments

Reactions: Brent Reid

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Tarr's films are not for everyone. I remember playing some of them at fast speed (still able to read the few subtitles) but allowing me to speed up the torture of the glacial pace and the slow, interminable takes. And I like slow films.
But thanks for posting the information. I like the fact that you keep me informed about offbeat releases that pique my interest.

• Haha
Reactions: lark144

lark144

Screenwriter
Premium
Real Name
mark gross
There was a region A release of THE TURIN HORSE a few years ago, which I have. I took a chance, as I'm very menze-menze about Bela Tarr, but I loved it. Of course, being only 155 minutes long, it was a tidbit as far as Bela Tarr is concerned. Also, in a lot of Bela Tarr's films, nothing much happens until the last shot, and you're waiting, sometimes 4+ hours, to get that aesthetic bolt of grandeur, that wow factor that has been withheld far too long, whereas in THE TURIN HORSE, enough happened amidst the longueurs that it kept my interest.

lark144

Screenwriter
Premium
Real Name
mark gross
Tarr's films are not for everyone. I remember playing some of them at fast speed (still able to read the few subtitles) but allowing me to speed up the torture of the glacial pace and the slow, interminable takes. And I like slow films.
But thanks for posting the information. I like the fact that you keep me informed about offbeat releases that pique my interest.
Jose, I just laughed reading that you speeded up Bela Tarr's films, as the people I know who claim to have sat through SATANTANGO multiple times (in theaters, not home video) insist that the whole point is sitting there watching nothing happening for a very long time, which they consider transcendental.

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
These are two of my very favorite films. Can't wait for the Region A release of Satantango (scheduled for November, I think?) and hoping down the line we get Damnation, Werckmeister Harmonies, and The Man From London.

Reactions: plektret

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessnick