The Truth about expensive "Home Theater" surge protectors?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Matt*B, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Matt*B

Matt*B Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

I am thinking about what surge protector to get when I get my big screen. My whole theater will be plugged into this protector, essentially. Now, there is a $99 monster brand surge protector for 'home theaters' at best buy. There is also a cyber power brand protector for 'computers' for $24.99. Now, looking at them side by side -- they seem exactly the same -- and to boot the $24.99 cyber power one handles more Joules! I am confused -- why such the price difference?

The monster power satellite protector is Model: MPHTS700HP and is here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1051384462372

The cyber power one is model 880, and is here:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1051384209466

I doubt that the computer one wouldn't work just fine, if not better than the expensive one for my home theater.....What gives?

Thanks,

Matt

2. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    The "Monster" label on the case costs $75. [​IMG]

3. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

Three things to look for when purchasing a surge protector.

1. Clamping voltage -

This tells you what voltage will cause the MOVs to conduct electricity to the ground line. A lower clamping voltage indicates better protection. There are three levels of protection in the UL rating -- 330 V, 400 V and 500 V. Generally, a clamping voltage more than 400 V is too high.

2. Energy absorption/dissipation -

This rating, given in joules, tells you how much energy the surge protector can absorb before it fails. A higher number indicates greater protection. Look for a protector that is at least rated at 200 to 400 joules. For better protection, look for a rating of 600 joules or more.

3. Response time -

Surge protectors don't kick in immediately; there is a very slight delay as they respond to the power surge. A longer response time tells you that your computer (or other equipment) will be exposed to the surge for a greater amount of time. Look for a surge protector that responds in less than one nanosecond.

The truth is that a surge prtector will never give you 100% protection from everything. And usually the types of surge protectors that have metal oxide varistors in them are only good for one spike per MOV that is in them. So if you have one that the MOV's are all blown out, you will never know that they were all blown out until damage is done to your equipment.

4. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

I've read on several occassions that Monster makes very good surge protectors, in fact, they are much better at surge protectors than they are at cables. But cables have a better profit margin...so you can figure the rest out.

That Cyberpower brand looks like crap. Here is a good compromise between the two. Tripplites are highly rated; I've had one for five years now with no issues. If you really want to protect your equipment look at decent brands like panamax, monster, tripplite, etc.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...661&spf=1&sp=1

5. PeterMano

PeterMano Stunt Coordinator

I just bought an HT800model which is very similar from what I can make out although my joule rating is 1850 versus 1300. Yours should include clean power circuitry, stage 1, version 2.0. Sounds very gimmicky, I know, but it does make a difference. My front view projector delivered a better picture, I was quite suprised as I didn't expect much. Also, better clarity and more detail in the audio.

So, if you're wondering the difference in the price, yeah, partly the name, partly the AC power line filtering and partly the lifetime warranty replacement.

6. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I think you ought to read this thread by our very own Chu Gui.