What's new

The Truth About Charlie trailer online (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
http://www.apple.com/trailers/univer...haboutcharlie/
I'm a cranky old man who is resistant to change, so this one doesn't sit well with me. Charade is an absolute classic. It's stylistic as opposed to realistic, which is what modern audiences seem to prefer. It looks like they're going the realistic route here.
You can't top Audrey Hepburn. You can't top Cary Grant. And, there simply cannot be a scene to rival the beautiful boat ride, accompanied by the lovely "Charade." I'm going to take a pass on this one.
But, don't get mad. I'm not going to try to talk you out of going. :)
One good thing about the trailer is that it has decided my weekend movie for me. Sure, the Criterion disc isn't anamorphic and has some ringing here and there, but it's overall pretty incredible. The view of the ski slopes is breathtaking. Compared to the old videotape I was used to before I got the disc, it's a revelation. And, even if the videotape had been of good quality, I think the Criterion would still impress.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I predict a lot of eye rolling from Charade fans (myself being one of them). It's probably good I had the warning from this post, otherwise I'd have been caught off guard with a theater trailer and who knows how I would have reacted? Actually I'd heard about this remake before and while I don't have a problem with the idea of revisiting the plot, I just feel bad for the uninitiated. Perhaps this will make them seek out the classic? Hopefully. I will probably go see it when it comes out, but expect my famliarity with the original will be a distraction.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Good God, this thing looks dreadful.
And no worries Greg, you're not alone in your crankiness. I'm a pissed off so-called Gen-X'er who lives and breathes Charade, and this film looks to encapsulate everything that's wrong with Hollywood.
Why, oh WHY bother remaking a classic? There's no way you're going to top the magic of Grant and Hepburn with... Markie Mark and the giant question mark known as Thandie Newton?!!!
Look at Wahlberg's delivery of his lines: flat, unemotional, uninspired. Monotone. Dead on arrival. Zero charisma. Six-pack abs do not a leading man make.
And Newton... the less said, the better. She looks great, but...
What pisses me off the most is that I love Jonathan Demme as a filmmaker (except for Beloved, which is an abomination). Between the years 1992 to 2001, he has made (excluding TTAC) all of two films. Why spend so many years waiting and developing a remake to an acknowledged Hollywood classic? I'd rather see him tackle more original, inspired work.
The film might work. I acknowledge I am judging from a trailer, so for all intents and purposes I could by talking out of my ass here. But the concept is just plain rotten, and if the expected results follow the concept I am going to be swearing and cursing and belching up a storm come this October.
What next? Wait another five years so that Paul Thomas Anderson can film a remake of Breakfast At Tiffany's with Freddie Prinze, Jr. and Jessica Biel? :angry:
I poop on the future.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Matthew, you pretty much posted what I was really thinking. I wanted to be diplomatic to start things off, but you hit all the points.
BTW, I'm a Gen-Xer as well. I just threw in the "old man" part for fun. ;)
I always get a bit annoyed when these remakes are announced (Psycho, anyone?), but it always seems to work out in the end. The truly dreadful ones tend to bomb, and no harm is done to the original work.
I'm reminded of what James M. Cain once said (by way of Stephen King). When asked if he felt the movies ruined his books, he pointed to his shelf and said (heavily paraphrasing), "Nope. They're still right there, completely unaltered." Of course, with films like Double Indemnity, The Postman Always Rings Twice, and Mildred Pierce adapted from his works, he really didn't have much to complain about. Well, maybe Butterfly. :D

Jeff Gross

Second Unit
Unfortunately, the financial success of Mr. Deeds will probably lead to a lot more remakes of classic films :angry:

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Looks like crap. I think I'll watch Charade this weekend also, then consume copious amounts of malted beverages and try to convice myself this is a bad dream.

Guy Martin

Second Unit
I'm also a twentysomething Charade fan and this looks simply awful. I actually think Thandia Newton is a good actress, and Tim Robbins is generally pretty good. Even Marky Mark is okay if given the right role. And I love most of Demme's work. But this still looks atrocious! Thank goodness I have the Criterion to watch instead (ironically sitting on the shelf next to my Criterion Silence of the Lambs).

On question: I noticed in the credits for the trailer that one of the writers was a "Peter Joshua" which for those who dont know was one of Cary Grant's many identities from the original. Is this an in-joke or is there really a writer by that name who happened to work on this movie (can't imagine the WGA would allow them to get away with it otherwise)?
- Guy

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Why, oh WHY bother remaking a classic?
Because in the case of Charade, I'd bet that an outrageously high percentage of Charlie's target audience have never heard of it, let alone seen it. So in that respect there's really very little to risk. Plus, it makes Charade a hotter commodity for home video (which is presumably why Criterion no longer has the rights to this).

I'm interested to see it, and I enjoyed Charade a lot. I agree that Hollywood should be producing more original ideas than always turning to remakes, but remakes in and of themselves aren't invalid.

Henry C

Stunt Coordinator
I am also a fan of "Charade" and I cannot see how this movie can live up to the original. They have the right to try, I guess, but I have the right not to watch it. I will try to persuade my friends not to watch this crap. You cannot beat the original cast, not forgetting the wonderful Walter Matthau. Marky Mark, Thandie, Tim Robbins cannot compare in any way. They need to learn to leave the great originals alone and not try to make money off old movies that they try to pass off as new.

Henry

BTW, I wonder if they will use the same stamp idea or try for something else

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
They need to learn to leave the great originals alone and not try to make money off old movies that they try to pass off as new
Right on! I'm still miffed that they DARED to remake the wonderful film The Maltese Falcon!! It ticked me off so much I refused to even watch it! Who do they think they are! Buncha moneygrubbers!

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
All dripping sarcasm aside, I'm shocked at the amount of snobbery going on here. I have the original. The DVD is sitting right there on my shelf. It's a wonderful movie.

That said, there'e NOTHING wrong with remaking films. Sometimes they turn out awful. Sometimes they turn out wonderful (as in, yes, I did see the excellent 1941 remake of The Maltese Falcon and love it).

Mark Wahlberg IS a good actor. Thandie Newton IS a good actress (and I refrain from responding to the nauseating insults that one of the posters threw her way). Jonathan Demme IS a good director. It's a good story and, on the face of it, the remake is in good hands.

I'm looking forward to this movie.

Carol Razavi

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'm 16 and happen to think that Jonathan Demme is capable of good films (SOTL and Phili.)
I am also a fan of many Criterion titles and stumbled on to this film because of my love for all films that the CC chooses to be part in their collection. After I watched Charade I realized there were so many other classic films that I need to get ahold of (The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, and Rififi)
I saw the trailer before a screening of Road to Perdition (AMAZING! TOMMY GUN IN RAIN!!) and I blew it off once it was over not really understanding what it really was, then I turned to my friend and we both said "Was that Charade?" and we realized that Jonathan Demme just created a crappy looking MTV-style film with Marky Mark! What the hell is he smoking? I think he needs to fire his agent and get some real work. Both Demme, Wahlberg, and Robbins.
This is SHLOCK, and no one in the new generation needs to be exposed to this bullshit!
I've got an idea, how bout you restore the print, and just put the original back out for people to see what the REAL Charade is all about!
Ramblings from a annoyed teenager are now over :D

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
All dripping sarcasm aside, I'm shocked at the amount of snobbery going on here. I have the original. The DVD is sitting right there on my shelf. It's a wonderful movie.
Vickie, see my James M. Cain quote above. I think you and he definitely see eye-to-eye. I hope you don't see me as being snobbish, as I think I've been pretty even-handed here. Well, for someone prejudging a movie by the trailer, that is. ;) But, that's what trailers are for as far as I'm concerned. And, this one just doesn't hit with me.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
we realized that Jonathan Demme just created a crappy looking MTV-style film with Marky Mark!
In all fairness, Demme probably didn't cut the trailer. Most directors don't, so who knows if the editing style is representative of the film.

And while it makes for a clever line, referring to Wahlberg now is like saying you won't see The Princess Bride or A Few Good Men because Meathead's directing. Wahlberg has done some fine work in films and is certainly capable.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
And while it makes for a clever line, referring to Wahlberg now is like saying you won't see The Princess Bride or A Few Good Men because Meathead's directing. Wahlberg has done some fine work in films and is certainly capable.
Except for the fact that Meathead knocked one out of the park with his first at-bat, and since Spinal Tap has proved himself a capable and talented director.

Well, at least until North, but that's another thread.

I realize these are all opinions, but Wahlberg is so ill-suited for this role due to his lack of strong dramatic skills. His delivery, his presence, his lackluster charisma all lead me to believe he's a lousy actor. The trailer did nothing to change this opinion...

This looks like a disaster waiting to happen. Hopefully, I'll be pleasantly surprised, but...

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
Charade said:
All, of course, in your opinion, isn't it? In mine, Wahlberg couldn't act his way out of a wet paper sack, Newton is even worse (was my "giant question mark" comment the "nauseating" insult? Sheesh, I thought I was being uber-kind), but Demme's a damn, damn good director. Which is why I regret seeing him wasting his time with remakes.
As I've said before, I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised. I want to be eating a shitload of crow come October.
But I really, really doubt that's gonna happen....

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Three Kings said:
Where is THIS coming from?? Thandie is a wonderful actress. I was convinced of that when I saw her in her first movie, Flirting. I don't believe she's had the high quality roles worthy of her talent yet. What role(s) caused this level of distain?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks