What's new

The True Uncut Version Of Sam PeckinPah's "Iron Cross" Available On DVD? (1 Viewer)

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
I cant seem to find this one, without being censored and in Pan & Scan. I know for a fact before the release of the film, It was cut to ribbons by the studio. So where is the uncut version?
:)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I bought the Cross of Iron dvd last year and was so disappointed in the quality of the transfer that I had to sell it off. Too bad as it's one of my favorite war films. I didn't know about the censoring issue. Anyway, I doubt that we'll see a reissue of the uncut version unless Anchor Bay or Criterion gets ahold of it...

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
There's a gorgeous uncut widescreen DVD of CROSS OF IRON available from France. It has the English-language soundtrack and a Swiss friend informs me that it blows the Stateside DVD with a much better transfer. It's available from the French Amazon site.

I don't know (nor, since I have a multi-region player, do I really care) about zoning issues regarding this disc. I don't remember if the title is anamorphic or not. It's in mono though. An eventual Stateside double-dip on CROSS could maybe give the title a 5.1 remix, or perhaps Warner and Coburn on a commentary track. The latter two actors attended a Peckinpah retrospective in Europe a year or two ago (along with Susan George, Ali McGraw and others). They happily signed his widescreen CROSS OF IRON DVD, and he's happy to own it.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
I posted this earlier this year:

I have the UK R2 PAL which is 1.85:1 anamorphic which

is of acceptable quality.

I had a look at my UK R2 PAL again and it has a running

time of 126m59s which is equivalent of 132m17s

when compensating for the 24/25 fps speedup.

According to the book "Crucified Heroes: The Films of

SAM PECKINPAH", the movie had a running of 133m which

could very well mean anything between 132m1s and 133m0s.

According to the BBFC (UK):

- it had a running time of 132m55s when it passed uncut

in 1977 for a cinema release

- it had a running time of 126m58s when it passed uncut

in 1999 for a home video release

The R1 is Pan'n'Scan and only 128m (cut 4min)!! Stay away!!

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
The region 1 DVD was put out by Hen's Tooth which is one of the worst DVD companies out there. What makes them even worse is that they charge high prices for their Madacy quality DVDs. Avoid any of their DVDs at all costs.

I'm dying to see this film on DVD. I'm hoping that someone can release this film the way it deserves to be presented.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks