The trigger has been pulled! Panny RPTV!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Pagoulatos, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Dennis
    Well,
    After about 4 months of casual research on this and other forums, plus many hours of research at neighborhood stores, I did it...I (can't believe I'm using the overused phrase of death) "pulled the trigger" today with the 10% off coupon at my local BB and purchased.......
    The Panasonic PT53WX42! 53" 16:9 HDTV!! Yay! [​IMG]
    It will be delivered this coming Tuesday (and you can bet I'll be leaving early from work on that day regardless of what time it arrives)
    I have my Video Essentials DVD ready to go, and am extremely psyched!
    As soon as it's delivered and set-up I'll post some pics of the room (a 10.5' x 11' dedicated lil' HT room) and the TV!
    An ISF calibration will have to happen, but first I'll have to invest in a progressive scan DVD player (running a Panasonic A120 thru component outs right now)
    Anyways...just wanted to gush a bit!! I'll keep you guys posted! [​IMG]
    -Dennis

2. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Congrats ! I was in BB this morning and you got an incredible deal with the 10% off. Please give a review.

3. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis
    I'm truly psyched! I will make sure to post a review! For now, it'll have to be an interlaced DVD signal because of my older DVD player...but I hear that even that looks pretty darn amazing compared to what I'm used to with my trusty 36" Mits. direct view!

-Dennis

4. Tim_B

Tim_B Agent

Congrats. I am lagging a bit behind you but hope to pull the trigger in the next 2 weeks. I am debating between the Tosh 50h82 and the Panny. So far, the panny is in the lead given the cost savings. However, I can be swayed either way.

What made you decide on the Panny? How much did you get to Panny for out the door?

5. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis
    I got it for $1818 including tax and delivery (included a 10% off from BB that was good for this weekend) That eliminated the "haggling" which I hate to do, so it was a no-brainer.

In my case, I'll be using the set to watch DVD 95% of the time in a small dedicated HT room; the other 5% is disks from my LD collection which I will watch once in a blue moon.

If I were planning on using it for cable now as well, or HD broadcasts in the future (I'm not), I would have opted for the Toshiba for sure.

I'm hoping it will last me at least until HDTV becomes a real standard, and HD-DVD is an economically viable product (3 years away from that?)

In the end, it really is a tough call in deciding between these 2 sets!

-Dennis

6. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I'll be purchasing this set in the next 3 months...and I can't wait. I've been suffering 9' away from my 27" Wega for the last 2 years, and the madness must stop. I need a bigger TV! [​IMG]

7. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

Good choice, here's what you have to look forward to:
    [​IMG]

8. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis
    Josh...you are TORTURING ME!! [​IMG] I was just watching that movie on this 19" computer monitor on my PC (since my main HT is out until the Panny comes in....
    I can't wait till Tuesday!!
    -Dennis

9. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

10. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis
    It's here!!! [​IMG]
    The TV was delivered by two stocky fellows earlier today (about 4 hours ago)...since then, I've had it positioned properly, let it warm up for awhile on "stretch mode" with "Toy Story" & "Toy Story 2" without making any adjustments. After that, I returned and went through the Video Essentials video calibration for brightness, contrast, sharpness, and color, then I ran convergence 1 & 2 from the user menu. I've disabled SVM from the menu (nice touch!), and have watched a few more DVD's to see how it looks...and?
    IT LOOKS GREAT!!
    Out of the Box, this thing looks pretty damn good! I will definitely invest in a progressive scan DVD player in the next month or two...but that's another thread altogether!
    To anyone looking for an RPTV in this size range, I highly recommend it. I can't even imagine how good this thing can look through a prog. scan DVD player and doing some service menu tweaks (like the 165 pt convergence)!
    I'll post some shots of the TV when I get hold of the digital camera I use at work...
    -Dennis

11. Tim_B

Tim_B Agent

Hey Dennis, how does it look on NTSC sources?

12. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis
    Unfortunately, it is not hooked up to cable at all; it is in a dedicated lil' HT "den" in my house. I'm not planning on hooking it up to the Dish Network box (we have 2 on a pair of 36" Mits. direct view sets out in other rooms)

I did try it on an LD and it looks REALLY crappy compared to DVD...but I'll reserve final judgement until I connect it through a composite video cable (s-video right now), since the comb filter on the panny should be light years ahead of my old pioneer cld-604...

-Dennis

13. Ryan Kehoe

Ryan Kehoe Auditioning

Dennis you said:
    >In my case, I'll be using the set to watch DVD 95% of the >time in a small dedicated HT room; the other 5% is disks >from my LD collection which I will watch once in a blue >moon.

>If I were planning on using it for cable now as well, or >HD broadcasts in the future (I'm not), I would have opted >for the Toshiba for sure.

Why would the Toshiba have been a better choice? I am debating between the Panny and the Tosh 50hx82 (or 50hdx). I will be using my rptv for digital cable, vcr and dvd.

Ryan

14. Tim_B

Tim_B Agent

I have the same question. Based on reviews of past models it was pretty clear that the Tosh stretch modes were better than Panny's. However, the new Panny is getting some decent (non expert) feedback that the strech modes are tolerable and that the new Panny handles NTSC better than last years model.

15. Louis C

Louis C Supporting Actor

I got the Panasonic PT-53WX52 less than a month ago, and I have gotten pretty decent results with 'full' stretch mode. My wife at first noticed the characters looked a little 'fat' but no longer complains.

Ran Avia and came up with these settings on mine, which at first seemed a bit dark but looked fine after only a couple days.

color 23
    tint 28
    brightness 40
    picture 36
    sharpness 12

Would like to know what your settings are and compare notes.

My HT set-up is now almost complete ....(drum roll please)

RPTV - Panasonic PT-53WX52
    DVD - JVC XV-SA70BK
    Receiver - Denon 2802
    Mains - Klipsch Heresy II
    Center - Klipsch RC-3II
    Surrounds - Klipsch RS-3 REFERENCE
    Sub (ARRIVING TOMORROW!!!) SVS SV25-31CS
    Power conditioner - ADCOM ACE-615

16. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis
    Louis:
    My settings (from memory) are

color: 22
    brightness: 33
    contrast: 30
    tint: 29
    sharpness: 9

Mine sits in a room that is completely dark- all day (heavy dark blue drapes).

Tim & Ryan:
    The new Toshiba's will display 720P natively (the Panny will not), in addition to 1080i (both), which is important since this will "future-proof" the TV, also new Toshiba sets all have the DVI input as an option, which may or may not be important to HDTV in the future (it wasn't important to me, so I went for the Panny; extra 3" of size, true 480P, great image quality on DVD)

I played with the stretch modes, and do not find them any worse than the Toshiba modes- but, keep in mind, I don't like stretch mode regardless of the set, they all look really bad to me, but again, that is my own personal preference.

-Dennis

17. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Dennis, I was looking at this TV, and have a room about the same size as yours. How is the viewing distance, does it feel too close or too far away?

/Mike

18. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis
    I went a little nuts determining this...I actually printed out full size 16X9 screens with outlines of different aspect ratio outlines on them- a 42", 47", 50", 53", 55", & 57". (I have a large format plotter at my work) I also figured out the depth of the different units, and then taped the screen sizes to my old TV screen (a 36") and sat on the couch to see how it felt looking at a big white sheet of paper of different sizes...

I took a tape measure and the current distance from my Panny (from eye level to the screen) is exactly 7'-0".

This seems perfect for me (my wife agrees as well), and I have no problem with it.

Hope that helps!

-Dennis

19. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Thanks, Dennis, yes it does help. When I first started looking at RPTV's anything over 45" seemed way to big in my room (I have the same viewing distance as you), but as I sat at Best Buy, positioning their viewing chair 7 feet from the screen, I found that I gradually kept getting used to bigger and bigger screens. The last time I was there, the 65" one seemed like the way to go! [​IMG]
    We'll see what happens, I'm still sort of waiting for the DVI units.
    /Mike

20. StuartW

StuartW Auditioning

Another quick question -- what's the useable viewing angles on this set (horizontal and vertical)? I'll be sitting about 7' away as well, and was wondering how far off-center chairs could be and still get a decent picture, and if someone sitting on the floor at about 7' would see a decent picture. I'll have the unit sittin on the floor.

Thanks!