What's new

The Transformers/GI JOE Dilemma (1 Viewer)

Greg K

Second Unit
You know, it occurs to me that maybe some of us should get together and work on creating a definitive catalog of the errors in the Rhino DVD sets, and hope that such a list would be helpful to whomever is eventually placed in charge of a re-release.

The ideal goal would be to figure out EXACTLY what would consitute a historically-accurate release of the series (and maybe even the 1986 movie) on DVD.

Any takers?

Certainly, if a DVD re-release did use the original broadcast master tapes, that would solve 90% of the problem (with the trade-off being a drop in image quality). However, it would be possible to splice broadcast-master footage into the production masters that Rhino used. The trick is replacing ALL of the incorrect/incomplete footage, instead of doing it in a piecemeal fashion like Rhino did by way of editing tricks and lousy cut-'n-paste jobs.

And this is all VERY possible, since the broadcast versions of the episodes aren't that hard to find, what with Youtube, official video/laserdisc releases, and even episodes taped right off of tv back in the 80s. All it would take is time to compare those materials with the Rhino DVDs to determine what exactly would need to be done.

Even Sony's release of the 1986 movie isn't perfect, since (among other things) the gong sound of the Rank Film Distrubutors logo can be heard over the newly-reinstated DEG logo at the beginning of the film.

Really, the only things needed to properly re-release the series are correct video (by way of the broadcast masters, or hybrids of the broadcast and 35mm film masters), the correct audio (without added sound effects), episodes in a reasonable order (production, airdate, or other), correcting other oddities/"corrections" (i.e. reinstating "The Master Builders" and "A DeceptAcon Raider in King Arthur's Court", etc.), and producing some good bonus features and packaging.

StarTrooper

Auditioning
Real Name
Shawn M
Two pieces of news:

1. According to a post I read over on the ToonZone DVD forum, Sony may no longer have the rights to G.I.Joe and Transformers. Hasbro pulled the license from Sony after their mismangement of Transformers G1 - they knew a ton of money could have been made by having DVDs to coincide with the live action Transformers film and are currently looking for a new distributor.

Considering that next year (2009) both the Transformers sequel and a live action G.I.Joe film are scheduled to be released, I think we'll finally start seeing some kind of headway in getting these shows back on DVD within the next few months.

2. According to TV shows on DVD new G.I.Joe DVD's are being produced, but only as "toy pack-ins". They are expected to be released in June.

Sorry there are no URL links, my post count isn't high enough yet.

StarTrooper

MattQuack

Agent
Real Name
Matt
This makes me want to do the dance of joy!!! :P Hopefully good news for all us fans who either wanted the rest of GI Joe released, or better versions of Transformers....only good news can come of this.

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
Excellent news. I dream of a box set of Transformers G1 with an open slot for the movie to be slipped into. One can dream right?

MattQuack

Agent
Real Name
Matt
Just because I love Futurama....

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!!

Transformers DVD news: Announcement for The Transformers - The Complete 1st Season: 25th Anniversary Edition | TVShowsOnDVD.com

What a nice tidbit of news to hear!!!!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
You should have heard the cheer I let out when I heard the news this afternoon. As long as the audio is fixed, it's on my list.

Honestly surprised no word on season 1 of GI Joe yet though. With the movie in August, there's still time, but hope not to wait too long.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
And with the word from Dave Lambert on TVonDVD.com with GI Joe coming in July, color me the happiest of happy campers. Between Transformers and GI Joe, it is truly good news.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
This is great G.I. Joe news and Transformers news.... now I have my fingers crossed for Jem and the Holograms, I bought both volumes when they were first released on DVD but they lost the rights before they could release the final volume and I think I paid about 64.99 ish for the first VOlume which contained most of the series. The second volume was about half the episodes.

I can't wait to buy Transformers and Joe.

I love SHOUT Factory between these shows Rhoda and Designing Women they are gonna have my money gladly for these long awaited releases

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
One would think that the GI Joe movie will be huge this summer and there's the Transformers one too, so yeah this would be the time to get something on the shelves.

I picked up one of those "DVD Battle Packs" at Target a couple months ago just to own the Revenge of Cobra mini series hopefully soon people won't have to buy toy collections to get the dvds (though they are kind of cool).

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Extras sound awesome, but anyone know more about issues with the original order of episodes? I can only presume that due to syndication, it's a bit muddied as to what came out when and where.

Hopefully we'll get vintage toy ads on the GI Joe release as well.

SeanC

Agent
Is anyone else worried these are going to be very similar to the Rhino sets, with mistakes and all, since Shout! is run by the guys who started Rhino?

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Really hoping the individual seasons are not pushed out for years because I'm gonna hate having to wait too long for the complete series sets.

Seriously, looking forward to both Joe and Transformers.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

It's late, I'm tired and I'm not going to go look for the link now, but I swear I read today that the complete series set for GI Joe (if not both) will be coming by the end of the summer. So we certainly don't have to wait until all the individual season sets are out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks