What's new

The Transformers/GI JOE Dilemma (1 Viewer)

Greg K

Second Unit
I just read that TF the Movie fan Paul Hitchens will be hosting a TF the Movie panel at Cybercon Expo 2005. He'll probably be showing off all sorts of goodies, like storyboards, model sheets, concept art, etc.

There's a whole wealth of material out there for both Transformers and GI JOE that could be cultivated into great DVD extra features. I really think Rhino dropped the ball on this one. From what I've read, the Metrodome TF releases in Region 2 are much better than Rhino's (they have the scripts and other goodies). These are the same people who are working on TFTM: The Reconstruction.

All it would take for a stellar release of both series (and their movies) is for some DVD producers to get things together and, with help from loyal fans, dig deep and work at it.

Greg K

Second Unit
Update: The Transformers: The Movie--the Reconstruction uses the Rhino-added sound effects, so I've stayed away from it.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I have to disagree with the G.I Joe sets. I purchased both Season 1 DVD sets when they were released and I was sufficiently pleased with the job they did on these sets. I have plans to eventually pick up the Origin/Mini Series that was released but those sets remain part of my personal library.

I grew up watching these first run episodes when it was originally broadcast on television and while it may be a very long time before these animated episodes are released to DVD from Sony Music, who owns the rights to G.I Joe and Transformers, I'll continue to enjoy this series until Sony releases their version of the series.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
WOW.....

I know that a great set of TRANSFORMERS was released in Korea (I Think) which included all the original episodes intacted. It also included the uncut version of the movie, all wrapped up in this very large wooden box.

Others extra included posters and a transformer toy.

So far, that box has been the best set released for this series.

Dugger

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've always wanted to check these out, seeing as they never aired in my neck of the woods. I skipped the Rhino releases mainly because of price. And I think price is going to be the problem with getting these re-released.

People like me, casual interest in the show, will buy a quality release in the $30-$40 (Cdn.) range. To correct the past errors in this set, it's going to cost some money. Many fans of the show already own the Rhino sets, and are hesitent to rebuy all the previous episodes, having laid out serious coin on the Rhino's. Is there going to be much money made in re-releasing these corrected, with people like myself being cheap, and fans not wanting to rebuy? Don't get me wrong, I clearly think these should be revisited, and that the fans of the show should be better served. I just don't see from a marketing stand point enough incentive to re-do them.

Of course, HD-DVD may change all that. It has the opportunity of correcting past mistakes while adding an incentive to re-purchase.

Greg K

Second Unit
I think Chris is referring to the Chinese release from last year. If I'm not mistaken, that version includes a mix of Rhino episodes and lower-quality (like fan VHS-dubbed) versions. So the presentation is nice, but not the content. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Since I currently only have the First Season, Part 1 and Part 2, if Sony ever gets their lazy asses up and releases the entire series to DVD then I'll start with my collection with Season 2 from them. All in all I think I ended up paying around $34.95 per each set from Circuit City. All in all, I was eminently satisfied with the sets that I purchased. I had no problems with the quality or the playback from these sets.:D

Greg K

Second Unit
All right..time to stir the pot on this matter again.

Well, The Transformers: The Movie: Reconstructed came out a while back, as released by Metrodome.

It featured more picture information around the edges than previous versions (as opposed to the historically accurate 1.85:1 matted widescreen seen in the theatrical release), and HAS THE ADDED SOUND EFFECTS HEARD IN THE REGION 1 RHINO TF SEASON SETS.

Sigh.

So, to sum up, There still haven't been proper releases of The Transformers series/movie, and Rhino never even finished releasing the last season of G.I. Joe on DVD.

Sigh.

Greg K

Second Unit
Check this out:

http://www.transformersthemoviedvd.com/

And the press release...

----------------------------------------------------

SONY BMG MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT USHERS IN A NEW ERA OF TRANSFORMERS-MANIA WITH TRANSFORMERS: THE MOVIE 20TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL EDITION DVD

Icons OPTIMUS PRIME and MEGATRON Star in Special Edition DVD to Hit Retail Shelves This Holiday Season

New York, New York, May 30, 2006 - When MEGATRON said, “It’s over Prime,” he had it all wrong. This fall, the home entertainment group of SONY BMG Music Entertainment pulls out all the stops for the 20th Anniversary of the pop culture phenomenon and original theatrical release, TRANSFORMERS: The Movie with an explosive special edition DVD.

The new DVD marks the return of the out-of-this world animated big screen bonanza that catapulted the likes of OPTIMUS PRIME, MEGATRON, STARSCREAM, SOUNDWAVE and even the DINOBOTS into pop culture icons. The TRANSFORMERS: The Movie 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD will be packed with premium features and behind-the-scenes footage developed with input by and for TRANSFORMERS fans across the country.

TRANSFORMERS: The Movie 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD will tap into the huge, multi-generational TRANSFORMERS fan base. The special edition DVD will power into retail stores across North America in November 2006 -- just in time for the holiday gift giving season.

“The TRANSFORMERS franchise continues to thrive across multiple platforms, and we are excited to celebrate this pop culture phenomenon with a compelling new DVD tribute,” said Jim Wilson, Executive Vice President, General Manager of Home Entertainment for SONY BMG. “By teaming with TRANSFORMERS fans, we have developed an exclusive product with premium content and special features that will be sure to attract fans of all ages.”

The 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD includes never-before-seen footage, exclusive interviews, interactive games and collectible packaging. The film features the voice of Orson Welles in his final role, as well as stars Eric Idle, Judd Nelson, Leonard Nimoy, Casey Kasem, Robert Stack, John Moschitta, Peter Cullen, and Frank Welker. The DVD also features a winning soundtrack featuring the iconic theme "The TRANSFORMERS" performed by Lion, and the popular "The Touch," performed by Stan Bush.

For more information on TRANSFORMERS: The Movie 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD log onto www.TRANSFORMERSthemovieDVD.com.

To coincide with the special edition DVD release, this fall Hasbro will pay a special tribute to the rich history captured in the saga that is MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE with the TRANSFORMERS Classics line of figures. Available in November 2006, these new figures will feature updated versions of the first generation of TRANSFORMERS (or “G1”), inspired by the look and spirit of the original figures and characters.
---------------------------------------

And while we're at it, check out these unused storyboards from TF:TM:

http://www.wombatking.com/coppermine...ls.php?album=4

Looks like this might be really good. I just hope it doesn't have those awful Rhino sound effects added in like the TF:TM: Reconstructed DVD did.

And I just hope the actual TV SERIES will get better treatment on DVD than Rhino gave it someday soon...

Joe:C

Second Unit
Excellent news!! Not sure if I'd buy the series over, but I'm definitely game for a new TF:TM Special Edition.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
November 7th, $19.95 SRP for the DVD re-release of T:TM.

Don't expect TVShowsOnDVD to cover the movie, of course. But it IS a good sign that Sony BMG is finally getting around to using their Sunbow license! :)

Greg K

Second Unit
I just hope that they put that license to work soon--by re-releasing both series in a way that honors them (as opposed to Rhino's sets, which were badly lacking in qality-control and historical accuracy).

Greg K

Second Unit
I just hope that they put that license to work soon--by re-releasing both series in a way that honors them (as opposed to Rhino's sets, which were badly lacking in quality-control and historical accuracy).

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
This is good news. I alreadt have the previously released DVD. If there's nothing special about this upcoming DVD I won't bother picking it up because Sony hasn't released plans on what they are going to do with the television shows for Transformers or GI Joe. :frowning:

MattQuack

Agent
Real Name
Matt
See, I finally just finished completing my collection of the Rhino Transformers DVDs G1 and although I haven't watched all of it yet, it's still pretty cool even if there are plenty of things wrong with it, colors, wrong openings etc. I also have the first two releases of G.I. Joe spanning season one. If SONY does decide to give us something worth buying, I'm not sure if I will go that route or not. The complete set of Transformers currently goes for around 300 on eBay so that's a nice return on what I've paid for them over the past few years, but I love the packaging that Rhino gave us and I'm not sure if SONY can give us something as good, so I'm pretty much torn. Although the early pictures of Voltron's packaging looks cool. Let me know your thoughts.

Greg K

Second Unit
Well, I dragged out the Rhino Transformers season set DVDs recently and skimmed through them for the first time in a while.

On my relatively new widescreen/high-def tv, they look really bad. The "Rhino-fixes" stick out like cybertronic bole-bats.

And it was really "fun" to go through the numerous confusing/pointless/worthless extra features in the G1 season 1 set.

UGH.

I really, really hope that Sony BMG re-releases the series on DVD (along with G.I. JOE), and that the production team knows what "quality control" means. Mayb if the upcoming TFTM Special Edition sells well, that'll kick off such a release.

Question is, how should it be done? should they use the incomplete 35 mm film masters, as Rhino did, while replacing and substituting certain shots with the 1" broadcast master footage (which resulted in patchwork episodes that didn't even correct all of the 35 mm errors)? Or should they go with the 1" broadcast masters, despite their washed-out colors and such?

Although the 35 mm masters look great in terms of color and detail (aside from grain and film scratches), the incomplete and missing animation, as well as the fact that it looks almost TOO good (the colors are too pumped-up), and don't really represent the overall "look" of G1 and JOE as they originally aired.

All in all, I think the best way to go would be to use the 1" broadcast masters (with the CORRECT main/end titles for every episode), and to have the original commercial bumpers included (as with the Rhino discs), but with the key addition of a "watch without bumpers" option (via seamless branching), which will end complaints about the bumpers (but which will retain historical accuracy for those who want the bumpers included).

The episodes should also be in proper order. "The Gambler" comes after "Child's Play', but "Dark Awakening" (with an option to see the episode without the promo narration at the end for "The Return of Optimus Prime") is still early in the third season, etc.

The original scripts to all 98 episodes should be included (as with the Region 2 Metrodome sets). Here's a teaser from alt.toys.transformers, entitled "Secrets of the original scripts":

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.t...9dbdc3058fc05?

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.t...1e7f39c97a2f4?

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.t...354fa0dc6cb30?

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.t...095b193c37d6c?

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.t...68e075a3a3d77?

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.t...faf5a4ef671c3?

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.t...8dc428dc5339e?

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.t...fd218abaf2486?

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.t...58ddf3993e5ac?

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Zbu
So it's time to hit up Sony to see if they could put the original series back on DVD in a fixed manner? I'm game if anybody else is.

Greg K

Second Unit

Nope.

There are two possibilities:

1. Sony is re-releasing TFTM in the fall as a quickie promotional move for the 2007 live-action movie, and that's it (in other words, no plans to re-release the tv series).

2. The TFTM SE is a precursor to a re-release of the entire tv series in 2007 (which would doubtless sell better due to the hype about the live-action movie).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks