the tragedy of MAROONED

Discussion in 'DVD' started by William D Cavender, Nov 21, 2003.

1. William D Cavender

William D Cavender Stunt Coordinator

Gone is the 4 channel soundtrack for a 2 channel mostly monoral track. Also missing are at least four [4] scenes, cutting the time by about 5 minutes plus incomplete closing titles. The story is a true tragedy, an enjoyable to read tragedy... The film is even more tragic in its adaptation to the screen and its editing, this butchered version is even worse. I hope the old television earlier version can make it to DVD one of these days.

2. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

I think it's a tragedy that the MST3K version isn't available.

3. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

Okay, I'm confused. Does this mean if I have the LD I shouldn't bother upgrading to DVD?

4. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I'm with you, Joel. This movie bored me to tears in the theater.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yep, the ultimate "tragedy" here is the incredibly insipid movie.

6. BruceKimmel

BruceKimmel Stunt Coordinator

I don't think this DVD is missing anything from the theatrical version. If the original poster would like to actually list what is missing so we can figure this out, that would be better than just posting it's cut - my suspicion is that maybe the scenes he's talking about were added for television, since he specifically says that's where he saw it?

That said, five minutes or fifty minutes wouldn't help this film.

7. William D Cavender

Bruce

I never in my post implied or wrote that I saw Marooned, the motion picture, on television or that this Marooned had a longer TV cut. There were two different productions, the first one was made for TV and yes I also saw that one. The TV production was the "earlier" production that I wrote about. Can anyone out there remember who played the stranded astronaut?

8. Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon Screenwriter

After reading the above post, all I can do is go "Huh????"

If you're referring to a completely different production and not the Gregory Peck movie, why did you post this thread to begin with and confuse the heck out of me? And my question still stands: Is there a reason for someone like me who has it on LD and likes the movie to not get the DVD?

9. William D Cavender

Eric

Keep the LD, it is from the same cut, The DVD only looks better and that is the only thing better. As for the missing scenes... I just rechecked the DVD I admit that I slept through what I thought was missing. That puts the missing scenes to three. The first was a discussion between two of the ground personell in ties about the Soviets always having a extra Voskod [Sp?], it was not part of the same scene where Gregory Peck talks of the satellite in the wrong orbit. The second missing scene was a conversation between Gregory Peck and That bungling news reporter from the Mary Tyler Moore Show, me thinks that is why the end credits were shortened. Last was the Cosmonaut actually attempting to couple his portable air supply to our Astronauts fitting on his suit. O.K.