What's new

The town that dreaded sundown...mgm? (1 Viewer)

Will K

Screenwriter
I don't know how many of you guys remember this one, but I scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. I recently picked up an old VHS tape for $3 to revisit and I must say this one is still good for a few willies. For those of you who might not know, TTTDS is based on a series of real murders that place in Texarkana, Arkansas back in 1946. The killer wore a white sack on his head just like Jason in Friday The 13th Part 2(can you say "lift", kids?) and was never apprehended. The scenes with the psycho are intense and creepy. The rest of the film involves the police investigation and much of antics seem a bit more suited to Smokey and the Bandit. Very odd in tone shift, but an effective little thriller nontheless.
The letterboxed credits of the tape indicate it was shot in 2:35:1. Orion was the theatrical distributor, so I'm guessing MGM probably holds the rights now. Seems like an excellent candidate for a future Midnite Movies release. Anyone else have memories of this one and would like a DVD release?
------------------
unratedbanner.JPG

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just in case if anybody is interested, this film is being shown on The Movie Channel this month on the following dates and times:
[*]TMC-E August 7th at 12:45 a.m. ET[*]TMC-W August 7th at 3:45 a.m. ET[*]TMC-E August 29th at 2:35 a.m. ET[*]TMC-W August 29th at 5:35 a.m. ET

Crawdaddy

------------------

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I'd pick up this film. It is an interesting true slasher flick with a truly creepy atmosphere. Most of the film plays like an Unsolved Mysteries re-enactment. Very cool film. I would definitely like to see this one get a proper DVD release. I wonder if any gore was trimmed by the MPAA? MGM should definitely release it uncut.
------------------
Help urge New Line Cinema re-issue John Carpenter's In the Mouth of Madness on DVD. Click here!
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/002787.html

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
This is a classic horror film (I completely forgot about this one). Great idea, Will! That true story theme scared the crap out of me.
Would love to purchase this one on DVD. But, I may have to go find (and rent) a VHS copy for now. I've got to see this again - SOON!
biggrin.gif

------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
I almost completely forgot about this title! A friend introduced me to this one in high school, mostly because he knew how much I loved Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
I would pick this up in a heartbeat, so would my friend.
Jim

ErikG

Senior HTF Member
I remember this as well. Great 70's horror flick that is probably the only movie ever to feature a trumpet as a murder weapon! Pretty bizarre and creepy.....it would be a great addition to dvd.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
This film is a very creepy true story. I live not too far from Texarkana and visit there often, so this film is even more effective for me. I would definitely buy a DVD edition!

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I remember this one too. I'd probably be willing to give it a purchase.
------------------
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
S&S Challenge: 72 ...25
DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, i just caught this for the first time on The Movie Channel tonight after reading this thread. Thanks or the info or i wouldn't know it was coming on :)
I remember seeing this at the video store when i was young & always wanted to rent it sometime,but never got around to it. Then the video store(called Title Wave) shut down & Hollywood tooks it's place and of course didn't carry it
frown.gif

Man this movie was creepy & i'm even scared to go to bed,lol though gotta get up early. Sure to have nightmares tonight which is rare for me,but that was freaky!!!!!!
.......proof that the 70/s80's had great & effective horror. They don't make 'em like they used to which is a dam shame.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks