The Towering Inferno

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Pete Battista, Aug 23, 2017.

1. questrider

questrider Second Unit
    Supporter

Brian
  2. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    I have over 1500 films in vudu. Love the service.

But

Netflix rentals have never worked when I tried them. probably because they are specific rental copies.

I converted at least 300 films last year. Never was informed of any limit.

And the home scaninning on the app has yet to work for me. I have to use a pc.

And yes I wish they would fix the AR for Towering Inferno. And others.

3. 63 Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    kevin_y

kevin_y Stunt Coordinator

Vudu's disc-scanning service indeed has no limit (AFAIK), but its UPC-scanning service does have a 100-per-year limit. To have UPC-scanning work, your Vudu account's billing address has to match the location where you do the UPC scanning. You also have to turn on your mobile device's GPS location to verify your location. And the UPC also has to be eligible for the conversion. There are only about 8000 UPCs that are known to work, not a lot. There are also discs that don't work for disc-scanning, but work for UPC-scanning. This service is obviously just a way to entice disc buyers to become digital buyers, so don't expect too great of a treatment. And I'm still primarily a disc buyer for all the reasons I've mentioned, and only get digital copies cheaply via this method. If Vudu and movie studios want more of my money, they have to UP THE STANDARD of digital movies to something close to the standard of Blu-rays.

The disc-scanning service works mostly for discs made years ago. If you rent Netflix discs made years ago, even rental copies, they may work. Recently released discs almost never work. That's probably because many recent discs come with digital code already. Also, discs made by some studios, like Warner, are more likely to be eligible for conversion than those made by other studios, such as Criterion. But some Criterion discs do convert, such as David Fincher's "The Game."

I don't hold my breath and hope the studios fix the aspect ratio issue. The studios obviously often use the same copies they use for broadcast/cable TV as the ones for streaming. That explains why so many of them are cropped to 1.78:1. Vudu also has stopped showing you a 2-minute preview of a movie, so you can't check out the aspect ratio before you buy or rent. Your only hope is to check out the trailer, because sometimes you don't see an actual trailer, but simply a clip of the movie itself, which allows you to see the AR.

4. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I am curious about why people want to do the Vudu disc scanning. You have the disc, what's the advantage to watch it on Vudu?

5. PMF

PMF Screenwriter

Philip
    The first-time review is significant to each and every critic, as it is always a towering achievement.;)

Matt Hough and Johnny Angell like this.
  6. kevin_y

It's for the convenience. You can watch your movies anywhere on any device, including your home TV. Even though I have a home theater with multiple Blu-ray/DVD players, I often find it more convenient to pull up a movie on Vudu on that same setup even if I own the disc.

You bring a "streaming stick" the size of your finger, go to a friend's house, plug the stick into his TV, and voila, you have access to your hundreds of Vudu movies that you can share with your friend. How would you do that with discs, other than hauling hundreds of discs to his home?

Then you have all the other little advantages, such as not having to sit through all the ads at the beginning of Blu-ray or DVD.

Tino likes this.
  7. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Yeah, I can see that, particularly the streaming stick. However, when I'm home, I'll watch the blu ray. As for other devices, I just can't get interested in watching a movie on my iPad.

8. kevin_y

When you are home, you can still watch Vudu. As I said, Vudu is not just for smartphones and tablets, but also TVs. If you have wife and kids with multiple devices in multiple rooms, that adds so much more value and convenience for everyone. The user interface is so much simpler too. A typical Blu-ray remote has about 30 to 50 buttons. But THIS is what a typical streaming remote looks like. As I said, Blu-ray is still a must for videophiles, but you can't deny the advantages of streaming. My point is that it is good to have BOTH. When you buy Blu-rays, sometimes you even get digital versions for free.

Tino likes this.
  9. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    It's sometimes easier for me because I have ten bookcases of discs from DVD, HD DVD, Blu-ray and 4K/UHD. I'm talking 6-7 shelves in each bookcase which means I have the bookcases in three different rooms so if I'm in any of my three home theater setups, it might be more convenient to watch a movie on Vudu than to walk upstairs to retrieve a certain title from one of my bookcases. The same if I'm upstairs and don't want to walk downstairs to retrieve a particular title that might be stored in a bookcase in my downstairs library.

10. ABritch

ABritch Extra

Anthony Britch
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Disaster film Granddaddy to the big three that started the disaster film craze of the 1970's - Airport (1970) or its great-Grandaddy - The High and the Mighty (1954)

11. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Supporting Actor

Peter
    Disaster movies go back to the birth of cinema more than a 100 years ago. AIRPORT and HIGH AND MIGHTY were only in recent decades. There were perhaps hundreds more. What about the silent film NOAH'S ARK as an example?

12. 3D Projectionist

3D Projectionist Stunt Coordinator

Lenny Dee
    Fond memories of seeing TI on the 70's when it opened in London. I seem to remember the Cinema had installed a new sound system just prior which was pretty darn good and a memorable screening. Its a film I partially love watching and looks very nice up on our home screen.

Vudu sounds like something from a Lugosi film:eek:

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  13. DP 70

DP 70 Supporting Actor

Derek
    I saw this in 70mm in London at the Warner and it was excellent, the good old days.

14. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Now that you say that, it kinda does. "Doctor Mirakle is going to use his vudu ray."

15. SFMike

SFMike Second Unit

Michael
    Putting young adult memories aside I now find this on the level of a bad TV movie with a better cast than usual.

16. ABritch

ABritch Extra

Anthony Britch
    yes, but i was thinking specifically of the disaster craze of the 1970's that seemed to start with "Airport" in 1970 and ended with "When Time Ran Out" in 1980 and included titles such as;

Airport
    Poseidon Adventure
    Skyjacked
    Towering Inferno
    Earthquake
    Airport 1975
    Airport '77
    The Concorde - Airport '79
    Beyond The Poseidon Adventure
    When Time Ran Out

and to a lesser degree;

Hindenburg
    Cassandra Crossing
    Two-Minute Warning
    Black Sunday
    Rollercoaster
    Avalanche
    Gray Lady Down
    The Swarm
    Meteor

Darby67, benbess and EricSchulz like this.