What's new

The Towering Inferno (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Also seeing it in a theater on a huge screen I'm sure made it a more enjoyable experience.

Seeing it at home could never replicate that experience.

Being 7 in 1974 made it a more enjoyable experience! :D

I was so hung up on "Inferno" as a kid that I literally had DREAMS about seeing it on TV. Back in those pre-cable/pre-VHS days, we were at the mercy of TV broadcasts, and it took years for "Inferno" to finally hit a network.

I also wanted to buy the soundtrack album because I was convinced it included every second of the movie's audio. My mom explained it was just the music - and I was crestfallen! :D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Now THAT is a movie poster!

Thanks! IIRC, it's the Australian poster. The US poster is much "busier" - it has the same image of the tower but it's smaller so they can fit in shots of the actors.

I liked the simplicity of the Aussie version and paid a semi-premium to get it...

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Thanks! IIRC, it's the Australian poster. The US poster is much "busier" - it has the same image of the tower but it's smaller so they can fit in shots of the actors.

I liked the simplicity of the Aussie version and paid a semi-premium to get it...
Something like ...
MV5BMjA1N2JlMjItMTExZC00NTIxLWE2YTYtY2ZkM2M5OWM3M2YyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTc1NTQxODI@._V1_.jpg

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Well.. this one sure brought up a little bit of a discussion. I definitely enjoyed the film... but I was somehow expecting more from it. I think after hearing about it for years... and seeing all the big names that is in it... my expectations got a little too high. I found it to be a little slow in some parts and it really has a '70s feel to it. Not that it is a bad thing.

Hype and/or hearsay always tend toward the astronomical.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Cool! I think my first DVD review was "Armageddon".

Alas, my original early 1999 review no longer exists. It was such a brief - and IMO crappy - review that I later went back and redid it.

Too bad - I wish I still had access to the original crummy review! :D
I have tear sheets (now yellowing in filing cabinets) of my newspaper reviews (back in the days when we wrote on a typewriter - oh, the horror) that I haven't looked at in decades, and I suspect I would blush at their lapses if I pulled them out now. I do also remember my second professional review - Young Frankenstein. What a great way to begin a reviewing career with these two interesting and wildly different movies!

My first DVD review, the piece I submitted to land a place on the HTF staff, was for Billy Rose's Jumbo.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I always wondered how one gets a position on staff here.... I should've watched Billy Rose :D

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The recent Chinese re-make in 3-D was far superior. It was called OUT OF INFERNO. I did however enjoy THE TOWERING INFERNO when I saw it many times on a giant curved 75 ft screen in 70mm.
Out of Inferno is not a remake of The Towering Inferno.

About the only thing they have in common is a burning skyscraper.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I think The Towering Inferno is the "best" out of the Big Three, although I still love The Poseidon Adventure for its cheesiness (and Shelly Winters and "The Morning After"). I think I'd like Earthquake better seeing it in a theater with Sensurround. Speaking of which, has anyone here seen Rollercoaster? I seem to think that was in Sensurround also.

Yes I saw ROLLERCOASTER in 70mm and with Sensurround. I found it to be a big disappointment.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I saw Poseidon Adventure at the movies too. Might be the first or second movie my parents took me to see, I was 8.

Earthquake in Sensurround was amazing.
Saw Rollercoaster to in Sensurround. Not a good movie though.

It was far superior to the dreadful EARTHQUAKE, in my opinion.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Love this movie. I worked for Malco Theatres back in the 70's and while visiting Memphis Tn (Malco's home office city) I caught a 70mm screening of Towering Inferno at the Crosstown Theatre. After all these years I remember it being a very impressive presentation. After that matinee treat we screened Young Frankenstein at another Malco location that evening. Two great movies in a single day!!

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I remember seeing this when it was first released and loved it. I own The Towering Inferno, The Poseidon Adventure, and Earthquake on DVD and they are all enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks