The Total-Movie 40 free DVD's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pete Battista, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Cinematographer

Pete
    Hey everyone...
    I got these in the mail friday![​IMG] I was suprised to see them.... I was starting to think we were going to get screwed on these. Anyways.... for those that are getting these keep your eyes open. and watch out.... when mine came (Media Mail) the box was all bent up. The discs were ok but the box set cases all being cardborad sleaves like those that come with the magazine were bent up terribly.... I had to put them in CD Jewel cases.
    Bear with me as I have never tried to explain sound and pic quality before... I only watched 5 of them so far but here is what I thought....
    At War with the Army (Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis)
    This was the first one I popped in and I felt so disappointed. The picture was of poor quality with black and white specks flashing throughout the whole movie. The sound quality was good but very low as I had to turn my
    surround sound up higher then normal to listen to it. Basically it felt like I was watching a very old and used vhs copy of the movie.
    Africa Screams (Abbott & Costello)
    There was a great bit of improvement in the picture quality... even though I saw some specks in the opening credits the movie itself looked pretty good. The sound on the other hand... fair at best...there was a constant humming in the background for the first 20 minutes of the movie... this humming went in and out here and there throughout the movie.
    Carnival of Souls
    I fealt the picture in this one was very good.... compared to the others that is... no signs of specs at all on this one. however I do think that the picture could have been crisper... The sound on this one was also very good
    although like the others was low.
    I bury the living
    pretty much a good picture and sound.... definately could be better... like the others the volume seemed low on it. The picture wasn't quite as good as Carnival of souls... but I would say close.
    Bucket of blood
    This one was pretty much up to par with the last two... what is it about these discs with the low volume though?
    Not the greatest of news on these disc but pretty much what I was expecting for being a free gift. so Has anyone else here recieved their 40 free movies
    yet?
    Pete

2. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I heard they're mailing these out in alphabetical order, and so far they've sent them to everyone with the last names that begin with A-L (which leaves me out.) They say the rest should go out this week. I'm just mad they changed some of the movies; it was supposed to include "Fantastic Planet" but they dropped it, and I just had a chance to get a copy for a good price but turned it down thinking I'd be getting it in this set. In the meantime I'll have extra copies of Little Shop of Horrors, Suddenly and Boy in the Plastic Bubble (though the first DVD of that was pretty bad.)

3. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

4. Robyn Young

Robyn Young Stunt Coordinator

This is just a note to say that the 40 movies have been arriving in droves to folks who have subscribed. If anyone's having any problems with thier current subscription, you can go here
    TotalMovie Customer Service Thread at DVDTalk
    Also, if you have any comments on what you're seeing on the dvd or in the magazine, you can comment on it here:
    Comment thread at DVDTalk
    There is a TotalMovie representative there who has been really helpful.
    robyn

5. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I still haven't received my DVDs. Am I the only one?

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I haven't gotten mine yet, but I've been getting the magazines.

7. Joe McKeown

Joe McKeown Stunt Coordinator

Got mine last week, The transfers were horrible, and the packaging worse; but based on the pricetag I am VERY impressed. I sampled most of the movies, but have yet to sit all the way through any.

Great Job, Total Movie!

8. Shane Gralaw

Shane Gralaw Second Unit

I subscribed in late September and am convinced that my free DVDs will never arrive. Did they include Battleship Potemkin like they said they would? Not that I'll ever see it, but it would be nice to know someone is enjoying it.

9. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

Mine arrived about two weeks ago. I've sampled a few of the films and the transfer quality is typical low-rent public domain. The transfers are almost uniformly soft with poor contrast and detail. I wouldn't watch them on any sort of projection system, but they'll probably be okay for a smaller direct view set.

But, as Joe said, the price is certainly right!

Shane, BATTLESHIP POTEMPKIN is included. It doesn't look as good as Image's DVD, but it is there. Definitely take the time to see it as it is a fantastic film. In a chat with Mark Goldblatt, one of the big action film editors, he said that he considers several sequences in the film to be directly linked to the editing styles of modern action flicks. Check it out - the editing rhythms and shot choices are nearly identical.

-greg

10. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

I haven't gotten mine yet

11. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I was told that mine shipped in March. When I called back last week, I was told that they were shipping May 17th. I'll be calling at the end of the month if they're still not here.