What's new

The toshiba SD-9200..Great player or the newer Pioneer RP-91? I am getting one (1 Viewer)

Luis M

Second Unit
Which of these two has the better picture and which has had the least problems? Does any of them have some type of bass equalization to play back DVD-AUDIO? I have 65" WD tv and I have heard a progressive dvd player is the way to go, I also wonder how good is the regular 2 channel cd sound on these machines?

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
The Toshiba 9200 is excellent for CD playback, CD transport, and DVD-A. Stereophile reviewed it and compared it favorably with their $2500 CAL reference player. The RP91 as a CD player is also very good, I have compared it favorably with the Denon 2800. The video section on the Toshiba is lacking, with the old Genesis deinterlacing solution, and combing problems. It really does need to be updated but the SD-9500 doesn't come out until fall. The RP91 has the better video section with excellent colors and good detail, but the de-interlacing is nowhere near as good as the Faroudja or Silicon Image players. If you are commited to these two players, your decision will be made by the importance of the video section, whether you even use the progressive mode (in interlaced mode I would definitely take the Toshiba for its better audio section), or by the importance of the audio section. If progressive is important to you, and you can wait a few weeks or a few months, I would look hard at some of the new players coming out from Philips, the 962, the new 1000 DVD+RW, and also the new Denon 3800 and 1600. If you are willing to spend a little more, the Kenwood (yes, Kenwood!) Soverign DV-5700 is IMO one of the best at progressive DVD playback, and very good at CD playback, and known also to be very good at DVD-A. Hope this helps...

Luis M

Second Unit
I guess I'll have to wait a couple of months for these new players to come out. thanks for your response. By the way I meant panasonic and not pioneer on my first post.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks