What's new

The Toshiba SD-6915 (1 Viewer)

Mike!S

Stunt Coordinator
HI Im a complete noob. I just purchased a Hit 51S500 and the Onkyo HTS760 for my new home. because of the expenses of purchasing a new home. I need help deciding on a dvd player. I currently have an old sony dream system, the DAV-500 i think, and I hate it. It sounds terrible and the Dvd player is garbage, one thing I do enjoy is its SACD function. I don't have many SACD's just a few of Dylans and a Pink Floyd, though I freaked when I heard the Kinks would be re-issued in SACD. SO my dilema CHEAP universal player!! the SD-6915 would be perfect EXCEPT its brand new and if you search it on Epinions. You'll see 2 negative reviews. One because the unit has no shuffle, the other because it frankly just doesn't work. and malfunctions easily. I really don't want to spend more then 200 on a dvd player, any suggestions. Has anyone else purchased the sd-6915?? has anyone heard of any problems??? I could care less about the shuffle, but I do want a 5-disc player that will actually be reliable

Mike!S

Stunt Coordinator
HI Im a complete noob. I just purchased a Hit 51S500 and the Onkyo HTS760 for my new home. because of the expenses of purchasing a new home. I need help deciding on a dvd player. I currently have an old sony dream system, the DAV-500 i think, and I hate it. It sounds terrible and the Dvd player is garbage, one thing I do enjoy is its SACD function. I don't have many SACD's just a few of Dylans and a Pink Floyd, though I freaked when I heard the Kinks would be re-issued in SACD. SO my dilema CHEAP universal player!! the SD-6915 would be perfect EXCEPT its brand new and if you search it on Epinions. You'll see 2 negative reviews. One because the unit has no shuffle, the other because it frankly just doesn't work. and malfunctions easily. I really don't want to spend more then 200 on a dvd player, any suggestions. Has anyone else purchased the sd-6915?? has anyone heard of any problems??? I could care less about the shuffle, but I do want a 5-disc player that will actually be reliable

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I bought two a week after they came out. Both had to go back. The first time I turned them on everything was O.K. but the second time, neither would work right :frowning: . During the short time I was able to use them I felt the remote was the week point. Just didn't like it. The sound seemed alright but obviously I didn't have them long enough to audition it properly. As for the video portion, as soon as I plopped in a dvd I was amazed at the picture. Compared to my non progressive scan 4 year old Philips, it was OUTSTANDING! Crystal clear and the colors jumped off the screen. I don't mean to turn anyone off from trying one. If you get one that works I think it's a better choice than the Pioneer 563 I ended up with. Oh well. BTW, I actually prefer a single disc player now. Keeps me from having empty cases all over the place and stuff in the wrong case. But I'm un-organized by nature.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I bought two a week after they came out. Both had to go back. The first time I turned them on everything was O.K. but the second time, neither would work right :frowning: . During the short time I was able to use them I felt the remote was the week point. Just didn't like it. The sound seemed alright but obviously I didn't have them long enough to audition it properly. As for the video portion, as soon as I plopped in a dvd I was amazed at the picture. Compared to my non progressive scan 4 year old Philips, it was OUTSTANDING! Crystal clear and the colors jumped off the screen. I don't mean to turn anyone off from trying one. If you get one that works I think it's a better choice than the Pioneer 563 I ended up with. Oh well. BTW, I actually prefer a single disc player now. Keeps me from having empty cases all over the place and stuff in the wrong case. But I'm un-organized by nature.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Gene,
I felt the same way. If I could ever get one that worked I'd be a happy camper but alas after it ate my last disc, I'm not going that route again.

It has turned me onto SACD so now that's a must...

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Gene,
I felt the same way. If I could ever get one that worked I'd be a happy camper but alas after it ate my last disc, I'm not going that route again.

It has turned me onto SACD so now that's a must...

Mike!S

Stunt Coordinator
Well maybe the single disc SD4960 will be free of those errors? It has not been released yet, but I would assume it has a better chance of reliability considering it doesn't have as many moving parts. I really want DVD-A and SACD, if I have to sacrifice the 5-disc so be it. I just wish I had heard better things about teh sd6915. It would be PERFECT, if it worked. Shouldn't Toshbia do some kind of recall on it?

Mike!S

Stunt Coordinator
Well maybe the single disc SD4960 will be free of those errors? It has not been released yet, but I would assume it has a better chance of reliability considering it doesn't have as many moving parts. I really want DVD-A and SACD, if I have to sacrifice the 5-disc so be it. I just wish I had heard better things about teh sd6915. It would be PERFECT, if it worked. Shouldn't Toshbia do some kind of recall on it?

SteveK

Supporting Actor
I was strongly considering this model, but the few comments I've read about it so far have all been negative. Did Toshiba try to do too much with a $200 machine? I may check out the single disc model coming out later this month and hope that it's more reliable. I do want the multi-channel DVD-A and SACD, and of course I want good sound and a good picture, but I don't really care if it's a single disc or a changer model. Or I may just wait and see what other universal players become available over the next few months, as I'm certainly in no hurry. Still, it's disappointing to read the negative comments so far, particularly since reviews of other Toshiba models seem to be more positive.

Steve K.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
I was strongly considering this model, but the few comments I've read about it so far have all been negative. Did Toshiba try to do too much with a $200 machine? I may check out the single disc model coming out later this month and hope that it's more reliable. I do want the multi-channel DVD-A and SACD, and of course I want good sound and a good picture, but I don't really care if it's a single disc or a changer model. Or I may just wait and see what other universal players become available over the next few months, as I'm certainly in no hurry. Still, it's disappointing to read the negative comments so far, particularly since reviews of other Toshiba models seem to be more positive.

Steve K.

Mike!S

Stunt Coordinator
Well Im in a little bit more of a hurry my TV will be delivered on 7/10. I already have my onkyo sitting in a box waiting to be hooked up. How much fun would it be without a dvd player. Does anyone know when the SD4960 is supposed to be released??

Mike!S

Stunt Coordinator
Well Im in a little bit more of a hurry my TV will be delivered on 7/10. I already have my onkyo sitting in a box waiting to be hooked up. How much fun would it be without a dvd player. Does anyone know when the SD4960 is supposed to be released??

Mike!S

Stunt Coordinator
has anyone heard anything about this model:

The Pioneer DV-578A. Sorry can't link too new.

Mike!S

Stunt Coordinator
has anyone heard anything about this model:

The Pioneer DV-578A. Sorry can't link too new.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I think the 6915 may have been rushed to market alittle too fast. Both of mine had the very same problem. A bad batch maybe? Hopefully they will correct the faults quickly and the 4960 will fare better. We need more competition for the 563/578. But the picture on the 6915 sure looked great for $179 player! But oh that remote... And Mike, there is a nice little thread on the 578a on June 14 by ChadLB. Do a quick search.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I think the 6915 may have been rushed to market alittle too fast. Both of mine had the very same problem. A bad batch maybe? Hopefully they will correct the faults quickly and the 4960 will fare better. We need more competition for the 563/578. But the picture on the 6915 sure looked great for $179 player! But oh that remote... And Mike, there is a nice little thread on the 578a on June 14 by ChadLB. Do a quick search.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The Single Disc Toshiba I'd expect problems with too. Their recent player previous to this one was recalled for various issues.

I'm not holding my breath that the SIngle disc Toshiba will be any good.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I wasn't going to hold my breath either :) that's why I gave up on Toshiba and settled for the 563. I'm just hoping Toshiba will figure out the problems soon so others might have another reliable sub $200 player to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks